Navibe GB735 Bluetooth GPS Receiver for the Q

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by Guerrilla, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Navibe GB735 Bluetooth GPS Receiver for the Q

Since there are so few reviews out there about GPS Bluetooth receivers I thought I'd share my experience with my Navibe GB735 and my Q.

For starters I'll tell you why I bought the GB735:
    I wanted GPS for my car and looked at TomToms and Garmins, but then my RAZR finally started its death throws and I bought the Q. Having already invested in a new Smartphone I wanted to explore Bluetooth as a better option than yet another thing to put in my car.

I didn't care if the software/receiver would give me voice directions or not, I found that to be a luxury I felt was unnecessary. I stumbled across the GB735 and liked its specs, but couldn't find anything about them, so I decided to give it a shot.

Specs:
    The GB 735 sports WAAS and SiRF III. The Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) is an extremely accurate addition to the navigation system. It uses both satellites and ground stations to make corrections to always keep your signal accurate up to 3 meters 95% and 7.6 meters in the worst situations the other 5%. Check out the Wiki.

The SiRF III is the latest micro controller chip from SiRF The benefits of SiRF III over previous SiRF micro controllers is the ability to get a signal and lock and keep that signal/lock inn urban or dense areas. Check out the Wiki.

Look and Feel:
    The GB735 fits in the palm of my hand at approx. 3" x 1.75" x 3/4". It comes in a rubberized black, much like the black Q. It definitely excels in the portability department and the rubberized finish keeps it from slipping all over my dash in my car. The battery, Bluetooth, and GPS signal lights are in a triangle pattern on top and the on/off switch is on the side along side the port for an optional antenna.

I ordered mine through buyGPSnow.com and got a free leather holster for it as well.

Setup:
    Once the GB735 is charged and turned on the green light (GPS) and the blue light (Bluetooth) blink. This means it's searching for a signal and you might get a little worried if you stare at the lights expecting to see them find your phone or a satellite. The lights only go solid when you're using the receiver with Google Maps, Windows Live, or Maps4PDA. (I use Windows Live)

The setup from here was very simple. I went into Bluetooth Manager > Settings > Menu > Paired Devices and the receiver was picked up immediately. I paired it, entered the "0000" passcode and I was in business.

I loaded Windows Live, went to Map and then checked "Center on GPS". I just followed the prompts from Live and found myself looking at a red arrow right over my apartment.

Performance:

To give it a test run I decided to have Windows Live point me towards the closest Speedway to get gas using my signal which it accomplished with no problems.

Once I got in my car and started driving the GB735 picked up the direction I was moving and pointed the arrow in the correct direction. All the way to the Speedway it I found the GB735 very accurate. I checked my location on my Q every time I passed a street and found my Q was right on target every time.

I only noticed one thing and it doesn't even matter. That was a small quirk with the arrow pointing the wrong direction at stop lights. Since the GB735 uses your movements to point the arrow it would become "confused". As soon as I started driving again it flipped forward again. So no big deal at all!

Conclusion:
    For $59.99 I feel I made a great purchase. It works wonderfully and it's a great accessory for anyone that needs a solid GPS receiver for their Q.

Also, I had no problems using my Platonics Voyager 510 Bluetooth headset simultaneously with the GB735. Neither Bluetooth device experienced degrade performance because of the other.
  2. JBlacker

JBlacker New Member

Do you have to use windows live or google maps, or can you download maps and use it like a GPS?
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

No Link?

Did you link to where you bought this, or did I just miss it?

Steve
  4. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

I mentioned it, but didn't make it a link. Here's a link straight to the item at buyGPSnow.com:
    http://www.buygpsnow.com/navibe-gb7...-sirf-iii-waas-free-arkon-vent-mount-765.aspx

JBlacker: You would have to use Windows Live, Google Maps Mobile, or Mpas4PDA with a Bluetooth receiver. Those programs cover North America and the UK so you shouldn't need any of your own maps.
  5. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

GPS Receivers and and Accuracy

Thanks. I've bought from them before, and was happy. One of my GPS receivers died, so I might be in the market for a new one, and that's a pretty good price.

I think that JB was asking more if you could use the receiver with your own maps. The answer is yes, but you generally need extra software for that (that includes the map data that you want).

There are also some programs that allow you to make your own GPS maps from other map sources.

I also thought I'd give a few words about GPS accuracy.

I worked at a company that made Pocket PC GPS devices. I'm not a hardware guy, but one of the people I worked with literally wrote a book about GPS and knows far more than I ever will.

After discussions with him, I'm under the impression that most decent GPS receivers will be accurate enough for navigation (and least in two dimensions). In fact, most times when the navigation software shows you in the wrong place, it's due to slight inaccuracies in the map data, not the GPS fix. So using a map source to judge accuracy isn't really the best way to do it -- unless you're also comparing other receivers.

In fact, that's how some reviewers do it -- they take a GPS receiver known to have good accuracy and compare the one being tested against that. Of course, not everybody can do that, so you have to use what you have. :wink:

That makes sense, too. GPS is about position more than velocity. If you're stopped (and therefore going 0 mph), you really aren't going in any direction.

Your car is facing in one direction, of course, so the GPS software could assume that if your speed is less than a certain threshold that you're going in the last direction you were headed when your speed was above that threshold, but I don't know if software really does that or what the best threshold is. (You need the threshold to compensate for various slight differences in the fix that show you at slightly different positions every second and therefore make it look like you're moving.)

But again, this could be as much a software issue as a hardware issue.

Anyway, it was a good post, so I'm giving you a rep bump.

Steve
  6. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

Thanks Steve.

The receiver itself does seem very accurate with positioning and I've been loving it. This was my first GPS unit I've ever used so it's been real nice to navigate around road blocks, constructions, etc.

You bring up an interesting point, too. I'm going to see how accurate Google Maps is compared to Windows Live with it. In Live I found some of the "accuracy" of the maps depends on the zoom level. If I zoom out too far I appear off the road because the arrow remains the same size, but the roads get smaller. Ergo, if for some reason you zoomed out really far to see a turn, a road, or whatever, you might appear off course. This is purely software related though.

I like both Google and Live, so I'm just going to see which seems to work best with GPS.

I can't compare it to another GPS side by side, but I can say it does its job well. Thanks for all the helpful comments Steve, giving you a rep bump as well for all the additions.
  7. ahtasham

ahtasham New Member

Unable to connect GB735 with MotoQ

I am unable to get my GB735 bluetooth GPS receiver connected with my SprintPCS moto Q? Whats the standard procedure? I am able to search it and the device shows up in the list in the bluetooth Manager. But when I select it, it comes back with the error that "Service Not Found" Do I need to install any thing?

Thanks in advance.
  8. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

I briefly mentioned this in the first post, but here's what you do:
    1. Go into Bluetooth Manager > Settings and turn on Bluetooth.
    2. Still in Settings, Menu > Paired Devices > Menu > Add and you should see the GPS receiver listed as, I believe, BT 735.
    3. When prompted for the code you enter "0000" without the quotes.
    4. Now it is setup, but you'll still see the green question mark next to it in the manager.
    5. Now you enter Windows Live > Map > Menu > Center On GPS. Live will now attempt to connect, it will find it, and you'll see the GPS' blue light turn solid and the map will center over your location.
    If you're using Google Maps you first have to download GPSCOM.exe (search for it on the forums or on the web, it's out there), follow steps 1-4 and then do this:
    1. Upload GPSCOM.exe to your Q wherever you want it.
    2. Run GPSCOM.exe and choose whatever settings you like.
    3. Start Google Maps > Menu > Options > Track Location Settings and check Manual Settings and choose whatever COM port you chose in GPSCOM.
    4. Check Track Location in Google Maps' Menu. You should now get a dot over your location once Google Maps connects to the device (your blue light will turn solid).
    If the connection fails:
    1. Enter GPSCOM.exe again and choose different options, but make sure you keep Google updated with changes
  9. ahtasham

ahtasham New Member

Thanks Guerilla! You are the best.
  10. Guerrilla

Guerrilla New Member

No problem, hope it helps. Remember, the lights on the GB735 will continue to blink until you're actually using the GPS in Google, Live, or Maps4PDA. The green light (GPS link) will blink until it gets three signals to triangulate your position.
  11. roxtar40

roxtar40 New Member

HELP please

I have followed all the directions above to a T with my Q and GB735. I have tried Windows Live Search as well as map4pda - every COM port, etc. - and my GB735 does not connect with the Q.

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mitch
  12. roxtar40

roxtar40 New Member

I was able to figure it out, and this might help others too.

The directions in the first post in this thread were great except it excluded one thing that was probably already set on that person's Q, but it wasn't on mine. Through A LOT of Googling, I stumbled across the tip to go to:

Settings...Connections...USB to PC and check the box to Enable advanced network functionality. Did this, restarted the Q, and voila...the GB735 worked perfectly with Live Search. Awesome.
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

USB to PC

That's very strange. I thought that setting was only used for ActiveSync (hence the USB to PC name). Bluetooth GPS communication is over a serial protocol, not USB. In fact, turning off that setting reverts back to the old ActiveSync method of using serial-over-USB (I think), while turning it on says you're using a new TCP/IP connection.

However, maybe having it set off interferes with other serial communications, not just ActiveSync. It's something to try, at least. I'll give you a Thanks for that.

Anyway, the important thing is that you got it working. Thanks for reporting back.

Steve
  14. roxtar40

roxtar40 New Member

Yeah, I found the connection (mental, not network) of that setting relative to the GPS to be unintuitive and odd. Regardless, it solved my issues, so I'm going to roll with it.

Got the GB735 for $35+, Live Search for free; I don't think you can beat that price for reliable GPS.

Mitch
  15. jhc90

jhc90 New Member

Device not working on my mobile

Hi,
    Thanks for you post. I decided to buy the Navib GB735 device after reading your comments.

I'm having problems setting up the device. I'm able to pair the device, but then it will not connect. I get the following message:

"Service Not Found"
    "The service you are requesting is not supported on the device. Please make sure the device is ready and the service is enabled."

What am I missing here??

Thanks for your help.

Justin
  16. norcatalyst126

norcatalyst126 New Member

I just got the Navibe GB735.....When I try to pair it says, "Service Not Found".....any suggestions???
  17. feldkamp

feldkamp New Member

Q is great--NAVIBE GPS NOT--

I had a great experience with the Q and the NAVIBE 735 GPS receiver -- for the first 2 months. Then the 735 wouldn't send the GPS info to the Q. It was paired OK but no data transfer. DON'T EVEN TRY TO GET HELP FROM THE MANUFACTURER OR WWW.BUYGPSNOW.COM. They are unreachable (no phone #'s) and totally unresponsive to e-mails requesting help! NEVER buy from this company!