Nap no 3G on At&t?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by ninjaap, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Nap no 3G on At&t?

So am I correct to assume that there's no support for 3G? The only options under networks is Global, GSM, and CDMA. Looks like GSM only runs Edge. Boooooooooo...
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

.....that must suck :)
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

The other neat features offsets the lack of 3G (if it is in fact missing 3G). The only thing that's slow for me right now is Skyfire. Heeeeeelllllllllllllla slow. But pie is stil pretty fast. Pandora still works good too.
    What am I saying??? I sound like an iPhone user!!!
  4. phil3315

phil3315 Member

That is correct. This phone is not designed to be used on a GSM network in the USA. Napoleon does not have a radio for the 1700 Mhz HSPDA/WCDMA band, or any other WCDMA band. It supports all 4 bands of GSM 800,900,1800,1900 which is unusual for a CDMA world phone, as they usually do not include the North American bands (800,1900) as you are supposed to be using CDMA here. The North American bands were included to help with roaming in Mexico, Central America, and Surrounding Islands.
    The previous CDMA world phones did not include the North American bands, as it was assumed that you would be roaming on CDMA in these countries, however, some of them have spotty or no CDMA coverage, so the previous world phones would not work in some places. The Napoleon and BB Storm solve this problem for previous users of the BB8830 and Moto A840, etc.
    Like i said before, this phone is designed to be used on an American CDMA carrier, like Verizon, Alltel, Sprint, UScellular, etc. and provide worldwide roaming coverage when those customers choose to leave the USA.
    People are advertising these phones on ebay for any carrier, and while that's true, they will work, I see no reason (other than the fingerprint reader) to buy a Napoleon and use it on ATT, you would be better served to find one of the Moto Q11 phones that was released in South America. As that phone supports GSM 3G and will better serve the GSM user.

Also, as a side note, the Napoleon will not work in Japan. For years Japan has used their own proprietary technology, just recently, they upgraded to HSPDA/WCDMA 3G, so if u go to Japan, you need to take a BB Storm, or rent a VZW world phone from Vodaphone that supports GSM based 3G.

Hate to talk you out of a Napoleon, but if you insist on staying on a GSM network in the USA, then I would go for the Q11.
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Too late. I got it already and am loving it. :smile: The only app that's really needing 3G coverage is Skyfire. All my other apps are working just fine including pie and opera. Guess I'll have to try and install tcpmp again to get my youtube fix.

And thank you for clearing it up for me :smile:
  6. phil3315

phil3315 Member

enjoy. you'll have no problem selling the napoleon later if you change your mind, or the Q11 becomes available.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I doubt that I am ever gonna sell this phone. Plus I have my 9h as a back up if I really need to use gps, since it's disabled on this phone.
  8. phil3315

phil3315 Member

I ran youtube fine on the moto media player that comes on the phone. just set it as u r default player. it took an error at the beginning, but played anyway.

the Q11 would probably have unlocked GPS, as Verizon didn't have their hands in it. that's the only thing I don't like about this phone, all of verizon's locks and customizations. I've been on Alltel for years, and never had to deal with features being locked out.
    but, VZW makes a lot of money by locking those out and then charging you to use their mms, gps, etc. so i doubt that will change any time soon.
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

It looks like it's already set as the default player. But it only plays from mobile youtube site.
  10. MOTO MANIAC

MOTO MANIAC New Member

i have a q11 laying around just incase you need one.lol i also have the working version of tcpmp for the nap. all others seem not to work right.
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Would you mind posting the tcpmp version that you have? TIA.
  12. MOTO MANIAC

MOTO MANIAC New Member

shoot me a email and ill get it to you.
  13. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

Mann..i want one of these phones.

But i cant afford one :/

Lowest ive found em is like 200
  14. manbat

manbat Active Member

Can you post a link to the TCPMP?

=============
    Can you post a link to the TCPMP?
  15. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

or if you want to email it to me i can host it
  16. MOTO MANIAC

MOTO MANIAC New Member

i just emailed. post it up.

and b.roeder. if it like $200 then i bet its a dud. youll get what you pay for. just ask.
  17. n99hockey

havent gotten any email yet...
  18. GoldMembr

GoldMembr Member

19. n99hockey

20. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

FYI the alpha-dial_cheat sheet.cab that came with the TCPMP did not work. I installed the old Flashbundle 1.4.4 cab and it worked great.