My Solution.... To Battery Draining Problems

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Michael Pursley, Jul 10, 2007.

1. fareal

fareal New Member

In Windows/Startup if you unhide the files does VcallAlarm.lnk have anything to do with the default Alarm app on the Q?
  2. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

I solved my battery problem

I have a 2 month old Q, graphite, from Alltel. I was getting about 11 hours of battery life with the standard battery- which is poor, and well short of the 211 hours Motorola claims.
    This is what I did: first kill all running applications: go to Task manager>running programs. You can assign a speed dial to this, and go right to it to kill background running apps at any time.
    Second, I had set the phone to check for new emails every 15 mins. Thats OK for the desktop, but THAT was killing the battery. I changed the settings in email accounts>edit to check every 6 hours and now the battery lasts more than 24 hours. You can always force a 'send/receive' at any time, if you want to look for a new mail, etc. Its not really necessary to have the phone frequently check for new mail , especially if it kills the battery.
  3. grunt5811

grunt5811 New Member

I think the whole battery issue has to do with how it reports, whether it is charging or not and if it is actually charging. Like if you plug it in and it doesnt show connected but the screen lit up like it knew something had been plugged in. Or when you plug it in and it shows connected but never actually charges the battery. I also dont like that the usb port is always open also no tellin what kinda crap gets in there.

As for plugging in your battery for charging I have noticed (and didnt spend 100hrs researching it) that if you turn off the phone, plug in usb port and then plug in to outlet I get at least a full day charge or more.

I charge it the other night by just plugging in the usb cable and letting it run all night. Woke up to a "full charge" all bars etc. and went about the daily routine of listening to my radio show that lasts about 2hrs. The battery died in an hour and a half in the middle of the radio program when normally only two bars go down. Wouldnt charge either after that. Had to pop the battery and re insert. Charged phone by shutting off, usb cable first, then outlet plugged in. Full charge in an hour and a half worked for the next 2 days.

Basically between actual charge and what its reporting seem to be seriously flawed. There are a ton of battery issue forums on here and its seems everyone reports something different. Im blaming the charging hardware/reporting software.

Bam my 2 cents
  4. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Seems we have a new crop of people with battery problems. I solved mine by researching this site. Search for "battery" or " battery problems" and such...things like the bluetooth off, turning off the IR, psmsn.exe thingy. You can get pretty good life out of even the little battery, you just have to figure it out and work with the Q. It comes out of the box wide open.

gm
  5. heartlandex

heartlandex New Member

i just got my Q a couple of days ago ($140.00 of ebay) :tounge: with the bluetooth off, of the charger at 4:15 am 2 hrs 41min talk time on it and still have 25% battery. i dont know if thats good or not but im happy with it so far, by the way its the standard battery.
  6. mswlogo

mswlogo New Member

I never used the Alarm and had discharge problems initially.

The problems seemed to go away after the following:

1) Understanding how dumb Motorola Bluetooth is and how it works (I keep it on all the time but understanding how it works and when it drains is key).

2) Switching GPS locator to 911 only.

3) Religiously use keyboard lock.

Since them battery is fine (2-3 days on a charge) and BT is always on.

Signal quality doesn't seem to make much difference nor screen brightness.
  7. heartlandex

heartlandex New Member

8. mringer

mringer New Member

Where do i find the GPS locator setting?
  9. gmardre

gmardre New Member

I'd like to know that also.
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Start > Settings > Phone Information > Network...
  11. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Thanks rb, mine was already set to "911". I guess that is the default setting...
  12. electronix

electronix New Member

Battery

I've owned a Q since the first week they came out. The single most setting that will kill your battery is having your beam (IrD) on. With it on, I get about 12 hours max...off, I can go almost 3 days with average talk, text, and internet. And yes, that's on the stock/standard battery. I have found that killing apps has little to no effect on longevity (not auto polling email) with my Q.
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you're welcome.

i never use IR so it's off... and it's good to have a experienced Q user saying something i have been "preaching" killing apps has little effect on the battery life.
  14. Michael Pursley

Michael Pursley New Member

Battery draining problems - Part Deux

I would like to go back and revisit the battery draining problems because, going on my fourth Q I have learned a lot of new things....

First, this last Q is a different Q than my first or second one.

The battery draining issues that I was having with the first two Q's have for the most part dissappeared with this last one. The USB conection post inside my Q is still feels sloppy when I plug the charging cord in and sometimes still doesn't make a "good connection". So when I wake in the morning sometimes it still tells me (ouch) that I need to charge the phone. But I believe that is now due to a lose USB connection. Also, at first with this last Q, I did get an indication that the phone still wasn't charged, which in fact it was (I turned it off and on). But all in all the new batches of Q's seem to be getting better and better. With that said I think I am going to turn my sights on the HTC 6800 and see if I have better luck. Currently, my biggest problem with the Q is that the phone seems to degrade the more I use it and the more I have on it. Maybe the Q9 with WM6 will work out better. Anyway, Good Luck! IF anybody has any thoughts ont the HTC 6800 please let me know!!!
  15. talthoff

talthoff New Member

I find it interesting that i have am on my first Q which was about 2-3 months after it was released. I have all followed all the above recommendations and steps. I also have the 2100mAH battery. I have bluetooth/IR off, alarm turned off, GPS-911 only. The only thing i can think of is that i have the iphone theme which does require several additional applications.

My battery barely lasts me 1 day. I am a tech consultant and mainly use the phone as a phone/email which i typically just read email never send. I have email pushed to me by the way. I may look at weatherunderground.com/m every couple of days so i don't use a lot of internet. I also don't text often.

Are there any other suggestions? I am thinking about uninstalling some of the apps and iphone theme but doubt this will do much.

-Tim
  16. Michael Pursley

Michael Pursley New Member

Hi Tim, Q's I have found have losy stand by times, probably due to the blue tooth. I have the 3200Mah battery, which does ok, but still lasts only about a day and a half. However, you should know that I have every light in the phone going at all times -never off. The Q's, probably due to the WM5 app conflict, also tend to drain after when the alarm clock has just been been set. the newer batches of Q's still has this happen until you make a phone call....then the drain seems to flatten out. I don't know why, I just know through experiment that it does. Also, I don't think taking out apps will help you, but good luck. -Mike