My Saga complaints (vs Q)

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by summit, Jun 8, 2009.

1. summit

summit New Member

My Saga complaints (vs Q)

Coming from a Q1, I've had the Saga for two months now.

Things I like:
    It is stable!!! I could totally leave it on for days and days... if the battery didn't die.

It is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more usable as a data device than a Q or any other non-touchscreen while still having a usable tactile keyboard!

It seems as durable as the Q.

Lots of alarms built right in!

Optical Mouse is FREAKING AWESOME!

Things I hate:

I drop calls more often than the Q... even when there is signal! It's like the Saga cannot handle a tower handoff!

Every app launches during a phone call even when I sleep the phone, alarm times change, settings change, calls hang up from my cheek touching the touchscreen. Or I could instalock and then voicemail is a PITA... it's pretty dumb for a smartphone.

The battery life is even worse than the Q. I'm going to get another battery, the extended hardly looks like more capacity and ruins the size.

MILLLLLLLLIONS OF NOTIFICATIONS! I get a text, read the whole thing, then I have the notification. Same with voicemails. I want notifications, but I want the not be stupid.

Vibrate is weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak compared to my previous phones.

There is not as much RAM or Storage as advertised. 84MB of RAM instead of 128MB advertised. 112MB storage instead of 256MB. I've been swindled!

Still waiting on that new ROM for GPS unlock... (I bought the phone based on this promise from Verizon)
  2. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Well, as a Saga owner since December, I certainly agree with your listed advantages. As some insight on your listed disadvantages....

I have an extended battery and it does make a significant difference in the life of the phone. Also, the weight of the phone with the extended battery just feels better and is more balanced in the hand. Many people here in this forum have observed the same. You may want to reconsider the usage of an extended. I use it as my main battery and rarely go below 50% by the end of the day.

That being said, as you know, bettery life is very subjective, depending on usage patterns, cell tower locations, the materials you're building is made from, etc. Everyone's usage will very. I would find it interesting that a more modern Samsung phone has significantly worse battery life than an older Motorola model under the same operating conditions. I could see them being close, some better, some worse, but significantly different?

To get around the cheek problem, put your screen on a quick timeout during a call. I think my setting is for 5 seconds. Not the most perfect work-around and yes it is annoying, but it does stop 14 apps from starting and you having to click "X" for five minues after a call to get back to where you were <G>

Don't know what instalock is...the power button lock? how does that affect voicemail?

I occassionally see dual notifications, but not consistent repeated ones.

We're all waiting for the new ROM <G>.

I have found that FreeRAM from SkTools is very useful and I love the Spb Mobile Shell app.

Hope this helps.
  3. bingo66

bingo66 New Member

hey good morning guys i
    have a bit of problem
    with my Q
    the keypad is locked and i cant unlock it
  4. bingo66

bingo66 New Member

i need sum help
  5. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

You posted your problem in a thread&section that is for saga discussion. Try searching for your answer and probably starting your own thread would be a beter idea.
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

was bingo really his name o? =)
  7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

haha good one frog.
  8. gk40

gk40 New Member

i could listen to WMP on my plantronics 510 on my Q but not on this thing unless i'm doiing something wrong
  9. summit

summit New Member

I have it on 5seconds and I still get the problem. Even with the power button lock I still seem to get random app launches. Only with the mouse mode change hold down lock does it seem to prevent it, and that's a pain to undo. By instant lock, I meant turning it from 5 seconds to 0, which I may have to do.

I mean, I'll get 3 voicemails, and listen to them, then it clears the voicemails. I then still have to dismiss the voicemail notification.

I get a text, I read it on the screen when it pops up. I still have to go read it to clear the number of the box, and you have to exit from that message thread to make sure that happens, and then I still have to dismiss a notification saying I have text messages.

I use it, but that doesn't change the the fact that we were lied to about how much RAM and storage this phone actually has. Flagrant false advertising!
  10. SDNick484

SDNick484 New Member

One thing the Q had which the Saga seems to be missing is a visual indicator that the Saga is connected to a BT headset. For the Q, there was an icon (looked like an earpiece) that showed up when both devices were on and connected. However the only visual indicator I've noticed on the Saga is the screen will turn on if a device connects to it. Anyone know of something else? Also is there a way to have it so that holding a button would enable or disable BT?
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

as far as headsets all ive paired is a t505 hands free..and it shows a big ole headset looking icon on the top bar.
  12. tman065

tman065 New Member

I can turn my BT on or off in three mouse clicks.

There is a visual head set icon when you press the "phone" soft key.
  13. SDNick484

SDNick484 New Member

The problem with that is you need to look at the phone. With a button, there'd be no need to look down, which is great for situations like driving.

Cool, will have to try that.
  14. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

The screen is not as readable outside.
    It doesn't seem to have profiles that react to the calendar. Gprofile doesn't seem stable...
    You have to push a button to wake it up that it ignores (That could be good or bad I guess). It's horrible when navigating voicemail systems.
    It refuses to return to the homescreen by itself despite the setting.
    Yea I had to turn off all those notifications.
    It stays awake in my pocket a lot. That doesn't help battery life.
    Speakerphone/Speaker is a joke compared to the Q.

...But I'd never trade it back for a regular smartphone... Too many other things it does so well.
  15. EQBob

EQBob New Member

What Q level are you comparing it to for the speakerphone? Mine is perfectly usable and in fact better, in my opinion, when compared to the my Verizon black Q1. I often listen to voicemails without even turning on the speakerphone.

I don't have wake up botton problems, it doens't stay on in my holster, and my battery life is mucho better than the original Q. I recognize that those are all somewhat individualistic.

Don't even know what gProfile is, so I'm guessing add-on software. In which case why would it be a Saga problem that it doesn't seem stable...wouldn't that be a software developer problem?

And agreed....it does so many things so well.