My Q device freezes up on startup, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Moto Q FAQ' started by chris, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

My Q device freezes up on startup, what should I do?

If your phone is frozen on the carrier home screen, the following steps will restore your phone, and may prevent future freezes:

If your phone is frozen on the carrier home screen, the following steps will restore your phone, and may prevent future freezes:

1. Remove the battery from the device, making sure that the device has powered down completely (approximately 5 seconds)
    2. Reinsert the battery into the device. Perform a manual Master Reset by holding down the center key while pressing the power key. Unfortunately, this reset will erase your personal data and changes you've made to your Q. If you have your device synced with a computer, you should be able to restore all or most of your data and settings.
    3. Press YES (left soft key) when the device asks if you want to master reset.
    Do not remove the battery while this action is completing.
    4. Allow the phone to fully boot to the Home Screen.
    5. Conduct a standard master reset of your device. To do so, execute Start->System Tools->Master Reset. Make sure your battery is charged (at least two bars), and do not remove the battery while the master reset is underway.
    6. Resync your Q's calendar, e-mail and other data, and restore your programs, e-mail and other services.

If you have had this problem previously, this solution may prevent future freezes.

1. First, back up your personal data through Activesync or your preferred syncing program. Sync your email, contacts and appointments. Copy any personal files you have added to the device to your PC, including photos and videos you've taken and want to save. (We recommend loading any new applications onto a memory card instead of the Qs installed memory. This makes it fast and easy to restore the device after resets.)
    2. Conduct a standard master reset of your device. To do so, execute Start->System Tools->Master Reset. Make sure your battery is charged (at least two bars), and do not remove the battery while the master reset is underway.
    3. Resync your Q's calendar, e-mail and other data, and restore your programs, e-mail and other services.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.