My Q and Vista :-)

Discussion in 'Windows PC and Moto Q' started by mike250rs, Dec 27, 2007.

1. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

My Q and Vista :)

had my Q for a little while now, and it has always played nice with Vista (except for a BT snafu) untill....

Last weekend I decided to get adventerous in an effort to fix my degrading data service issue. I decided to try some MOL updates. Q and pc transfered files like they should that am, but later when it was " time " things got ineresting. PC sees the Q..fire up moto updated program..it shows my phone. Start to click on "update" and phone dissapears..crap! Spend the next few hours in vain trying diffferent things..reboots/reinstalls..nothing. Gave up, later things worked like they should.

To this day I think it was an act of self preservation on the Q's behalf
  2. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I think when you slap things around long enough they start getting scared! No other choice but to "get in line". Good story!! I have spent hours on a 10 minute fix, too!!
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

Think my box has gremlins. One day I can play .avi files in WMP, next they only will work in win media center....and only in admin acount!?! Hate the permission system they have on it..user profiles are a joke. Wife installs kiddy games and I end up with a desktop full of 'em on admin. mode * sigh * maybe I just need more time to bond with Vista.

I'm really starting to miss W2K, it never crashed or did anything funky.
  4. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Didn't play to much with W2000. Too busy in the front of the store (HeadBanger), and dealing with win98 & XP issues. Now dealing with Vista. There are not enough bad words to describe that OS! Maybe I should stay with cars, instead. I can always kick the tires and feel better after!
    How did you set up your admin? Didn't PW it -eh? I don't either. *sigh* :embarassed:
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

The admin account is password protected, but she installs crap in her profile and they show in mine. I'm sure I missed a setting that would prevent this, should be by default though. Only seen one version of windows that sucked more.....ME!

With 2k what was installed in a profile stayed in that profile. The active directory made setting up and maintaining user accounts/groups common sense easy. It was a mem hog, but that wasn't a factor with me box. Never had to jump through hoops trying to figure out where the f@ck did Vista put my file this time.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I want my pc for work...then play. Monday will be " remove pre-loaded bloatware day " I will beat Vista, with or without a stick :)
  6. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

figured out some of my issues with Vista. Apparently the BT adapter I installed didn't want to play nice. I tried to use it a while back and ...well I had to do a system recovery :-( Finally blew away any traces of the adapter and pc works much better.
  7. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I don't know if you get this magizine or not but they are starting to put more stuff on line than in the past. Somewhere in the Vista pages are Vista tweaks. And I didn't know SP1 was out for Vista....me do it tomorrow.

http://www.maximumpc.com/search/node/vista

Glad computer is running better. Now want to kick mine around the block for me a few times?
  8. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

did like 30+ updates and that helps even more.

sorry, dont want to deny you the pleasure of "fixing" your box, feel free to record the carnage <office space gangter style> :)