"My Location (beta)" works with 6.1 !!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mexiken, Jul 30, 2008.

1. mexiken

mexiken New Member

"My Location (beta)" works with 6.1 !!!!

Thats right. It works with 6.1 !!!! I just tested it !!!!

[​IMG]

Rejoice !!!!
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Here you are, further proof, for those who don't know that if you DON'T get a value in myl:, "My Location(beta)" isn't working right. This is what it should look like.

[​IMG]
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

that's funny, it still doesn't work on the Q9c with 6.1...
  4. crshman

crshman New Member

Works for me! =D
  5. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Bummer. Guess it is what someone else said, its all about the structure of Windows, and where the radio info is stored. I COULDN'T be happier about this !!!!
  6. riot

riot New Member

i have a sprint q9c with 6.1, once use gps is enabled i can use the my location feature but i do not get a value for "myl:" in about. what gives? it works for me but you say if you dont get that value it doesnt really work? lol confusing
  7. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Oh dear, nevermind....
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

that's because the default of "my location" uses cell triangulation rather than gps data. once you have GPS enabled the my location shortcut brings your map back to center on the location reported by the gps. it looks like it's working, but not completely.
  9. riot

riot New Member

...is that bad? or did i say something stupid?

*edit*
    @paco: ohh i see thanks for explaining it. i figured it always used the gps.
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

No, I just a got a flashback to last night and all these people who didn't know how to use RSD. I forgot its Moto propietary software.

Just go here to learn about the difference my friend.
  11. riot

riot New Member

thanks for the link, i checked it out and have come to the conclusion that its inferior to using the gps. why would you want a guess of where you are when you could be more accurate with the gps? i dont know much about the q9h is the gps locked?
  12. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Hah hah..no you didnt say anything stupid. But there was a huge and extensive debate where Mexiken had described the nature of mylocation and there was some intensity with some who did not share his views despite his well laid out viewpoint.
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

LOL, thanks for putting that midly, lol.

The sticky I made on Motomodding should settle it. But its hard to try and explain it to the newcomers, lol.

I like the triangulation because it doesn't use up my battery as much, hardly at all compared to the chip, which it will do with prolonged GPS use, and because it still works inside of buildings, where the GPS chip often does not. So if I'm inside someone's house for example, I can fire up the beta, and get an idea of where I'm at, and search nearby to there for whatever it is I'm looking for.
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I never understood why you and others cared so much for this mylocation thing when we have gps. Like someone else said, gps is more accurate. Never understood it till you made this point. Makes perfect sense. I thought you were trying to make it work at the same time. Didn't realize you wanted it to work in the absense of gps.

15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yea, try it instead of GPS one day, and you'll see how it fires up much faster, and you can leave it on, which apparently helps Google because the more you use it, the more accurate it becomes. The more measurements it takes, the better it is. So I can leave it on and let it do its thing. Quite nice.
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I already did and it works as soon as I fired up GM... Your thanks button is starting to get worn out. I hit that thing twice already and once at motomod today. :laugh2:
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

LOL, thanks.
  18. Wizzer

Wizzer New Member

This is utterly utterless... :tounge: The GPS doesn't work for shit...and I keep getting 'phone doesn't support My Location (beta)'...it keeps showing me in San Francisco, CA...bah..

I want my VZWNAV back..lol
  19. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

the verizon Q9c w/wm6.1 cant use its gps for any other program other than vz navigator
    (your in the Q9h forum where the att version can)

oh...and please watch you language
  20. Wizzer

Wizzer New Member

Woops..sorry about the language. I saw that I could download VZNav and figured it would work. But alas, it doesn't...lol. I threw 6.1 on my Q9m from verizon..so far liking everything it gives me ... guess I'll buy a puck and software. :tounge: