My keypad doesnt light up.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Treg, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Treg

Treg New Member

My keypad doesnt light up.

I've had my Q9m for a month now and a couple of weeks ago my keypad lights quit working.

I finally got the time to go back to the store tonight and the lady that "helped" me said the keypad on Q9m's do NOT light up... When I insisted that mine use too she all but called me crazy. I left the store pretty ticked...

If I try doing a master reset will I lose my contact list? I have about 70 people on here, a lot of info in that list and a Weather app. I paid $30 for.

Can anyone help?

Its not a smart backlight issue either, I've tried it all...
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard. doing a Master Reset will wipe out everything you did to the phone except firmware updates (which i doubt are already available for the Q9) regarding the weather app, you should have gotten a reg key or perhaps a regged .exe file ? perhaps they send you an email with registration info ? make sure you have it and yes, do back up the contacts.

i have a Q1, and the keyboard does light up, and my guess is the it also should on the Q9.
  3. Treg

Treg New Member

Its suppose too. The lady didn't have a clue. I need to try a different store I guess.

I just did a master reset, twice. No luck fixing it.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it could very well be a hardware issue.. unfortunately.
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

according to this thread it has a sensor and can be turned off
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i did not know that..
  7. Q9MNewb

Q9MNewb New Member

I have a q9m and the keypad light works.
    The thing I do, which I learned here, is to hold down the mail key (next to space bar) once, and then again. It brings the keyboard backlight on for those times when it has gone out. If it doesn't do that, insist on a replacement. (and make sure you haven't turned it off in settings ( main menu- settings- more power mgmt)

Does anyone know if they can do q9m to q9m transfers of info? Verizon told me they couldn't transfer my old contact info to my new phone due to software not being available. I'm not sure if this also means q9m to q9m.

Good luck
  8. n99hockey

neither did i until yesterday
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it's a good thing we have you.. thx man.
  10. n99hockey

aw shucks :tounge:
    thanks buddy
  11. Treg

Treg New Member

Thanks for the help.

I learned that about the mail key on here too the other night before I posted. Good info. This wasnt the issue with my phone tho. The key backlight just didnt work, period.

The smart light sensor just dims the screen in low light and makes the screen bright in bright light. I dont think it actually shuts down the key lights. In bright (outdoor) lighting the Key pad might not light up, hard to tell.

I went to a different Verizon store today about 45 miles away and had a guy take care of me. He played with the phone for a few minutes, made a phone call and then said he would just replace it. So I have a new one now... With Key lights. :smile:

They still do not have the software to transfer info to Q9m BUT the guy said that someone at another store transfered info from an old phone to a Q black then wireless synced the Q black to a Q9m. So I would think you could wireless sync from a Q9m to Q9m...
  12. MattB

MattB New Member

I would bring the new one back to the first store and show the lady how its supposed to work :)
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i would definitely do that.. you can borrow my CSI t-shirt (where CSI stands for Can't Stand Idiots)

what ever happened to people saying "i actually don't know" instead of come up with a dumb answer.

*jumps off soap/rant-box*
  14. ohfire

ohfire New Member

q 9m backlight

There is a backlight on the phone. I just got my 9m yesterday, but I just checked it and yep, it does light up.
  15. Evan

Evan New Member

about the transfer. I dont know if this answers your question, but the technology to transfer contacts from an old phone to a new one (q9m) is not available yet since the phone is very new. So i would assume its true for any program or cords that the store might have to do q9m to q9m transfers. I could be wrong...
  16. indcmb

indcmb New Member

Use Verizon Sync

I use VZW wireless sync's website. I can either connect to my pop email account and sync contact/emails or I can connect to an exchange account. I mainly use it to keep my contacts , I have a habit of upgrading smartphones and I needed a way to replace my contact.

https://www27.wirelesssync.vzw.com/en/logon.asp
  17. paramedicnate

paramedicnate New Member

Yeah the sensor for the Q9m is in upper right hand corner of the phone. I've had issues where the lighting was weird in a building and the keyboard light wouldn't come on. I just put my finger over the sensor and hit a button and it came on for me.

-Nate
  18. Treg

Treg New Member

I just revisited the original store, she wasnt in today...
    I kicked around asking for a manager but they were busy. So I left.

I might stop back in this weekend, or just let it go.
    I'm sure she will find out someday that they DO light up, if she hasnt already.

Maybe then she will realize her lack of knowledge and people skills... I doubt it tho.

While I was there I quietly walked over and disabled the smart light on the display Q9m. :smile:
  19. triz313

triz313 New Member

dude, You can transfer info 2 ways with this phone and from another phone (prob). My Vzw just did a 2 phone transfer, sending my info via Bluetooth. You could also get some software and do it via the pc. Easiest of all is a damn sdCard. Assuming both phones have these features (well the Q has em all).
  20. xtian63

xtian63 New Member

hope this helps

low light conditions:

screen dims and KB LIGHTS UP

high light conditions:

screen goes full bright and KB lights SHUT OFF