Muck prevention on Q Screen

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by sculder, Aug 3, 2007.

1. sculder

sculder New Member

Muck prevention on Q Screen

Ok, I know this probably happens to every Q user and for that matter anyone who uses a candybar style phone. I get done with a phone call and look at the screen... just totally oiled up and dirty. I do the standard "wipe the screen on the shirt" and go about my day.

Is there any screen protection out there that somehow minimizes the muck that you leave on your Q screen? I'm not concerned with keeping the screen scratch-free, but rather minimize the oil/junk smears.

Thanks!
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

you could always purchase the screen protectors..but its not really worth it...
    i just use a tissue/shirt/anything soft to wipe it down with
  3. qnoob

qnoob New Member

I think clear plastic screen protectors are more or less the same. I'm not sure if one brand uses a different material than the other, but . . .

i go the screen protector route (I hate a silicon phone cover, not a hard case). i love using them from phones to digital camera view screens. Without one, I don't like just using a shirt to wipe it down cuz the wear and tear will sooner or later start producing scratches (unless all your clothing is made of lint-free, screen friendly material). And you can always change out the screen protector.

and for any dirt, smudge, I feel safer smudging / scratching away with a screen protector on than on the actual glass.
  4. goyleinlove

goyleinlove New Member

I used to use a protector but I found that it schmutzed up the screen. It looked like crap. None of the colors looked right and it looked like there were a bunch of bubbles, but there weren't. I decided to take that off and I carry a small lens cloth. Whenever my screen gets nasty I just wipe it and it looks perfect without losing the screen clarity and I don't have to worry about getting scratches from regular cloth.
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

"muck" is just something that goes with the big screen you hold against your ear.. no real remedy i think, i often just don't press the phone against my ear + 95% of the time i use my BT headset, and when i do not use that i frequently keep the phone about half an inch from my ear.... no "muck" that way.
  6. chevyman142000

chevyman142000 New Member

I think a remedy would be to take a shower. lol I'm just playing. I just bought a screen protector so that I'm not constantly wiping on the glass. I would rather scratch up something I can replace then the actual phone.
  7. altrockdj

altrockdj New Member

I second qnoob. I originally bought a BodyGlove protector with a plastic shield the day I got my Q. I didn't like it. Took it off and went with $4.95 Fellows protectors I bought at Wal-Mart. Cuts down on glare significantly and it also keeps the screen less mucky, and when I use my shirt, or whatever to wipe, like qnoob said, you don't scratch the screen.

By the time this thing gets some wear and tear on it, I'll probably be wiping down the bare screen without a care. LOL

PS. Since I'm "crafty" I cut it out with an x-acto to fit perfectly and I was able to get it on with no bubbles, etc, so one would never know I had it on my Q if I didn't let on...
  8. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

I work in construction and my Q has taken a beating (6' falls and such). One of the first things I bought for it was a silicon case/glove and screen protectors. The silicon case didn't last long, and I've replaced the screen protectors a few times.

That oiling smudge is a by product of pressing the phone to your face. No real way around it. Either carry a cloth, or wipe it on your shirt. Altrockdj has a good method with the X-acto. I tend to use scissors.
  9. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

I have been using PocketPC techs screen protectors for years on every pda and smartphone I have had. They work very well and I am still on the same one from December 2006 for my Black Moto Q. I just wipe the screen on my shirt or jeans and move on with no worries about scratches. They will also have screen protectors out for the Q9 series very soon. I use the crystal clear ones.