MP3's as CUSTOM RINGTONES

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by gad, Sep 9, 2006.

1. dpeaz

dpeaz New Member

I'm also having the same problem as you two.. Did you guys ever figure out the problem? Out of about 15 MP3s I made, like 3 or 4 didn't work.
  2. My-Q

My-Q New Member

This is what I just did (3 minutes ago, it's so easy a (edited due to copyright restrictions)) to make am mp3 a ringer...

I clicked and dragged, "Whereever I May Roam" from the folder on my computer to my storage card (I synced first). It took it about 30 seconds to transfer over.

Start -->Settings --> B Sounds

In the 'Ring tone:' I scrolled (sideways) through the list until I found the song I wanted -->Done.

I called my cell number. It played "Whereever I May Roam" until voice mail picked it up.
  3. My-Q

My-Q New Member

This is what I just did to make a wav a ringer...

I clicked and dragged, "Adiemus" from the folder on my computer to my storage card (I synced first). It took it about 30 seconds to transfer over.

Start -->Settings --> B Sounds

In the 'Ring tone:' I scrolled (sideways) through the list until I found the song I wanted -->Done.

I called my cell number. It played "Adiemus" until voice mail picked it up. I think it took a little longer to play. That could have just been the connection however.
  4. veepgeek

veepgeek New Member

Sorry to be a dolt, but I don't see where under Contacts - Menu - Edit I can modify ringtones. Do I have to have third party software or is this on the Q?

UPDATE!! OOPS...found it. You have to select the person's name NOT their phone number or other stuff when you select Edit.
  5. gmplr831

gmplr831 New Member

Fixing that

It may need reset or turned off. Occasionally the memory gets full by backgroud programs and needs to be reset. Thats what i do.
  6. gmplr831

gmplr831 New Member

Try not to use Activesync. I know i tried filling my memory card from activesync and got tired of waiting after 2 hours! It takes forever to sync that way!
  7. My-Q

My-Q New Member

I certainly hope you are exaggerating! It took less than a minute to transfer a 36 meg file. In all actuality, Activesync is about the easiest way to transfer files from your PC to Q. It's almost completely drag and drop.
  8. gmplr831

gmplr831 New Member

I dont know why but activesync is horrible for my q. I use a card reader. Much faster. Activesync is good for one thing on my comp and that is syncing information, not songs.
  9. My-Q

My-Q New Member

It's always good to put out options. There are always people that don't have card readers or those who have trouble with Activesync.

I thought about trying to use my card reader. I am too lazy to removing my SD Mini, load it and then re-insert it. What ever works best for the individual
  10. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

Activesync works great for me, I am using the latest Beta veriosn, but all I do is explore the Smartphone and browse to my storage card and drag the Mp3's to the root of the storage folder. Works great!
  11. chanman

chanman New Member

ok so after reading everyone talk about registry editors and converting .wav files to .mp3 or .wma i am still confused as to a simple solution to this problem. the whole changing the registry seems a lot more complex then a newb can comprehend. im sure it works but users that aren't familiar with using a registry editor program won't have any idea of what you are trying to explain. secondly, i don't see why converting the .mp3 file back and forth will help cus ultimately, from what i am observing, is that everyone agrees that the format for a ringtone should be .mp3, period. so after much frustration i have cut and cropped a .wav file down to 33 seconds using wavepad and then used the switch program, that came along with the wavepad DL, to convert the file from .wav to .mp3. i then synced my Q to the PC and dragged and dropped the .mp3 file into the application data/sounds folder where all my other .mp3 ringtones are. then when going into the settings/sounds folder in the start menu i couldn't hear anything when i highlighted the ringtone. whats up with that? someone please try and explain a solution in simple terms for all us newbs.
  12. AFGiRLiE

AFGiRLiE New Member

I am going to throw this phone out the window.!!

GAD>>>>Followed your instructions and it worked for the first 2 ringtones I edited. I saved them to my storage card via ActiveSync. The others I edited seemed to have worked but when I tried to edit a contact with the new tone....it wouldn't play or save. What is the problem? How are you saving the files in Wavepad? I am saving them in the Program Files> NCH SwiftSound> Wavepad> Entered the name in and saved as an MP3. Is there something I am missing or doing wrong. I made sure to convert the files over to MP3's if I needed to but I am lost~
  13. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

Not sure why you are having an issue with mp3's, I just drag them edited or unedited to the root of my storage card and they play just fine.
  14. Abramsrau

Abramsrau New Member

new to the Q

Hey I am trying to use my .wma files as ringtones. I will get into the editting part later, I just want to use the file as my ringtone. I got it to work but there seems to be an easier way. I rip CDs onto my computer. Synch the songs I want, I use WMPlayer for this. That puts them on my Q. I play them using WMP on my Q but they don't show up in my sounds folder, which I am pretty sure is the folder for ringtones, am I right? I then copy the song into the folder and it shows up when I try to change the ringtone for a contact, but won't stay. I restart my Q and then it does work. My major concern for doing it this way is that you have 2 copies on your Q and that would take up way too much room on a Q or the memory card. Is there a different way where I don't need both copies on my Q. Any info on ringtones would help, I read the whole thread and didn't find it. Thanks.
  15. Junkion_Marnot

Junkion_Marnot New Member

Man I tried the Wavepad....but I can't seem to figure out the damn thing!!
    I try to play import a file, then try to record...man I don't know what the frag I'm doing. Please help before Wavepad goes the way of Hoffa.....