MP3's as CUSTOM RINGTONES

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by gad, Sep 9, 2006.

1. gad

gad New Member

DEFINITELY USE MP3 VERSIONS THAT ARE EDITED TO AB OUT 20 SECONDS. I ALSO HAD ONE MP3 CUT RINGTONE THAT FOR SOME REASON WILL NOT PLAY AS A RING TONE... ALL I GET IS A CLICK SOUND ONCE... WEIRD... MUST BE FROM THE EDITING PROCES SOR SOMETHING. SOUNDS LIKE YOU GO THEM TO WORK... ALSO I HAVE NOT USED THE CARD.. JUST CUT AND PUT IN SOUNDS FOLDER. I HAVE ABOUT 20 NOW.. USE DIFFERENT TONES FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE.
  2. oliegirl

oliegirl New Member

Most of them are working, a few of them I just get that "click" you mentioned...I made a few more today and copied them over and they all seem to be working fine. At some point I guess I'll delete the original ones and recreate them, see if that fixes the problem.

3. Achiever

Achiever New Member

Length of ring?

Two quick questions

1. As asked a few posts ago -- is there a way to manually adjust the volume of your ring? All I can figure is setting it to "outdoor" to make it louder.

2. Is there a way to increase the length of a ring?
    I have an mp3 clip which is 32 sec long. The phone seems to cut off at about 30 sec. Unfortunately the clip only "makes sense" if it is 32 sec.

Thanks
    Matt
  4. loders

loders New Member

1. You will have to go to the profile and adjust the ring volume. Set the volume to "loud." If it is already set to "loud" then that is as loud as it's going to get. You can try to amplify your mp3 through software enhancing but it may become distorted.

2. I think the length of ring is fixed. I'm not sure if you can adjust the number of rings before your voicemail picks up but that would be the only way. There is no adjustment from the phone.
  5. Achiever

Achiever New Member

Thanks

Thanks loders.
  6. bonvivantmike

bonvivantmike New Member

Fragmented Playback

I've created a number of MP3 custom ringtones using Audacity. All are around 15 - 30 seconds long and 200 - 400kb in size. They all play back perfectly in Media Player on my Q. When the phone rings, however, they play back sounding very broken up or fragmented. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I've been thinking about re-coding them to .wma or .wav instead of MP3, so avoid using much processor for de-compression. Would this help?
  7. vtx1300rider@comcast.net

vtx1300rider@comcast.net New Member

Yes, you can put them on the storage card, but keep in mind that most cards have a slow wake up time compaired to on board memory. This can lead to problems, as you will be missing the first part of the call as the card wakes up, finds the clip, loads media player, and plays the clip. All this shortens the time between when you hear the first notes, and when the call goes to voucemail. I decided to keep my ringtones in the sounds folder, made them 10 sec each in WMA at 64 bps so the file is very small. Song plays almost at the same time as the call is recieved. This might be a problem if you have 200+ contacts, but I only have 75 so I still have plenty of room.

Jesse
  8. momoney81

momoney81 New Member

Frustrated

I think I did everything right - (downloaded WavePad, created a clip from a song on my computer, used activesync to copy the file into the sounds folder) - I can see the song on my phone and can play it in media player but when I set it as a ringtone it doesn't work - PLEASE HELP!
  9. bellcpr

bellcpr New Member

Mp3

A website that you can use to get any mp3 sound bite is http://www.tonethis.com
    You can take any section of any song that you want.
    You have to then say that you phone is a Motorola MPx 220 which works the same as the Q. They send you a text message with a link to the sound file which you then install.
    This is a free app.
  10. loders

loders New Member

What format are they in? The wma format is the easiest to playback as a ringtone.
  11. wildbuck772

wildbuck772 New Member

I got mine to work

I too was following all of the recommendations that I have read on the site. I created both a wave and MP3 file and placed them into the \Application Data\Sounds folder. The sounds would play in media player, and I COULD see them when I tried to set them as a ringtone for a particular contact, but I could not get the setting to save or work otherwise.

Then I remembered that I was using a varient of Windows :wink: . I decided to reboot my Q and when I powered it back up, I was able to edit my contact, choose the clips that I HAD been choosing before and this time they actually worked.

Thanks for all the advise. This is a great site.
  12. Voodooshama

Voodooshama New Member

13. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

That works, but I've always found it best to use something like Audacity to clip the song down to a 30 - 35 second segment (which is normally part of a verse and the hook), that way you aren't always lisetning to the beginning of the song.
  14. SC-Texas

SC-Texas New Member

I just picked up a phone and plan on trying this out.
  15. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

DITTO...I have had mine working flawlessly since day 1, but I also have had experience with all the Smartphone platforms and knew how to make it work immediately.

I have a little trouble with that program. I thought I would recommend a good one.

www.mptrim.com

Quick, easy, and it allows you to change the dB level so you won't blow you speakers. Hope this helps for easy quick songs.

-A
  16. jjroadwarrior

jjroadwarrior New Member

Register Ringtone File

I'm sure someone has experienced this already, but I will share my solution. I copied a ringtone to the sounds folder but could not get it to play until I moved it to the memory card. After some digging, it seems that you have to list the ringtone in the registry. I use Mobile Registry Editor from the desktop and access the HKCU\Control Panel\Sounds and add the ringtone to the Ringtone string. You may also need to edit the Ringtone string to point it to the Ringtone location (in my case Windows\Alert .mid).

Attached Files:

17. Jpike005

Jpike005 New Member

for mac users, i followed gads instructions and just used "MP3 Trimmer" to cut the audio--works like a charm
  18. twdo

twdo New Member

So, do you think we can go into the registry and make a few hacks so that we can play ringtones on the storage card?

I have a folder on my card called MP3 and I have about 300 MP3s in there. I would love to be able to use any of those!

Has anyone done something similiar?
  19. MachB5

MachB5 New Member

Works nicely. I tried it and it was very easy to use. Once you select the part of the file you want to use, you upload it to them and they send you an MMS with the file in it. When you save it, it goes right into your My Documents folder so it can be seen by the sounds selector.

Only issue is that it names the file with a *.wav.midi extension. To be recognized, I had to rename the extension to just *.wav.

A 20 second tone was just 851K. I then went a step further and used Audacity to make an MP3 (out of curiosity) and got the same file to 301K. Pretty nifty all in all.
  20. gdm320

gdm320 New Member

Ok, so I am seeing mixed things here - so in the interest of not messing up... I'll re-ask the question and I apologize if the redundency upsets you: I work in retail sales in Telecom and get this question every day, and want to be able to answer it. 1) Can you use your memory card to store and assign ringtones to individual contacts. 2) If yes, would someone please give me a step by step how to do it? I want to get one for myself, and this is a popular question amongst other reps - but I'm hesitant until I figure this out. From what I've read, and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, the songs must be saved on the card in [this] location then going to each individual contact and set their ringtone? Thanks very much in advance, there are MANY of us that appreciate it.

-Greg