MP3's as CUSTOM RINGTONES

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by gad, Sep 9, 2006.

1. gad

gad New Member

MP3's as CUSTOM RINGTONES

MP3's as custom ringtones for individual contacts:
    AFTER SEARCHING FOR 2 DAYS AND NO ONE AT VERIZON ABLE TO OFFER A SOLUTION I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DEVISE A PROCESS WITH HELP FROM PEOPLE AT THIS SITE AND ELSEWHERE:
    (1) use WAVEPAD (download free) to make/ edit a 15 - 20 second clip of a song you have on your home computer
    (2) open activesync - copy your new song clip to EXPLORE - MY WINDOWS MOBILE BASED DEVICE - APPLICATION DATA - SOUNDS
    (3) go to Contacts - Select someone - MENU-EDIT - change your ring tone.
    THE ringtones you created will be available.
    WORKS PERFECT*********
    wavepad IMPORTANT SHORTCUT - scroll to hi-light the 15 seconds you want then on the left hand side click:
    EDIT
    TRIM START AND END.
    note: you wont see this option to TRIM START AND END until you scroll hi-light the section of the song you want.
  2. ccokeman

ccokeman New Member

Kind of did the same thing with Nero wave editor. Pulled out the clip i wanted saved as wma. and loaded into the sounds folder and it works great.
  3. cameljok

cameljok New Member

beautiful... verizon 1st level tech support had no clue about the sounds folder... thanks for the info....
  4. BittenToDeath

BittenToDeath New Member

I just hit explore in active sync and put the files in there. It shows up under my documents in the explorer or file manager and i can select them as ringtones. If i put them any where else (besides Application Data\sounds) i can't select them, but oh well, they work like a charm!
  5. loders

loders New Member

You can put them on your storage card if you have one. Just don't put it in a folder or you won't be able to select them. I've made 135 of them so far and I'm still making more...pretty soon I'll have a distinctive ring tone for everyone in my contact list but I probablly won't remember most of the ones I set...maybe just the frequent callers.
  6. NYC GUY

NYC GUY New Member

What happens if you copy an entire song into that song folder instead of a 15-20 second clip?
  7. loders

loders New Member

Your onboard memory will be full after 7 or 8 songs depending on what other programs you have installed. On average an mp3 is about 4MB. Onboard memory is about 54.5MB but every program including the OS takes up a part of that. It would be a waste of space to put a full mp3 in the sounds folder and use it as a ring tone when at most the first 30 seconds will be heard. You can't choose what part of the song will be played. It will play from the beginning. I clipped the cool parts of a song and loaded those up and they're only about 2-300KB. You could put 1000 of those on a storage card and have lots of room left over...unless of course a 256MB miniSD is loaded and that begs the question...why would anyone get a 256MB when for a few more dollars one could double or quadruple the capacity?
  8. NYC GUY

NYC GUY New Member

Two questions:

What happens if I were to get a 2 GB miniSD card and stored the entire song there? Could I still access it for my ring tone through the card or does the song have to be stored on the phone itself?

Is there a work around for copyrighted material. I had copied some Bruce Springsteen CD's to my desktop. When I tried to copy one song yesterday to the sounds folder with the intention of using it for my primary ring tone for the Q phone using ActiveSync I received a message saying that I needed a license.
  9. BittenToDeath

BittenToDeath New Member

Well, for the program i use, Audacity, i had to install a dll file so i could export as an MP3 file. It saved me tons of space considering i was having to export them as wav files. Here are the links so yall can start slicing:

DLL file

Audacity

Have fun!!!

Thanks to rhstevenson for the site with the audacity download!!
  10. loders

loders New Member

You can access them from the storage card but do not put in a folder and you can access it as a ringtone.

If you downloaded the song from a site like iTunes, MusicMatch, etc. or ripped a CD in WM and turned the protection on, you won't be able to just transfer them directly to your Q because your Q is not an authorized player. There is a way to convert it to mp3 or wma without the license requirement. PM if you don't know how.
  11. dipgolf

dipgolf New Member

You can use a program called mpTrim to cut your mp3s. To use my own mp3's as ring tones I just find it under Media Center then hit menu and then set as ringtone, but that is for all contacts and not individuals like you said. For some reason it won't let me use a .wav though it lets me use a .aiff. I've been using a turkey gobbling as my ringtone since I purchased the phone and people think that's odd. They just don't understand I guess.
  12. gun138

gun138 New Member

Out of memory:eek:hmy: I made one ringtone and put it in the sounds folder. when I tried another 15 Sec. Clip the phone said not enough memory. I don't have any prog running and everything is in the storage card. Memory reads 51.77 used and.72 free Help me find out what Is filling the device storage please.:wacko:
  13. loders

loders New Member

a 15sec clip in what format wav or mp3? Anything you put in the sounds folder will take up phone memory. Put them on your storage card.
  14. gun138

gun138 New Member

The tones are WAV files. I tried to put them on the mamory card but then I could'nt set them as ring tones. Any Ideas?
  15. cameljok

cameljok New Member

Put the files in \Application Data\Sounds then go to Media Center from the Start Menu.. You can set ring tones from the right soft menu..
  16. gad

gad New Member

to GUN

I would verify the size of the .wav file you made for your ring tone- view properties while it is still on your desktop. use WAVEPAD to edit and keep them custom ringtones in the sounds folder on your Q. once you get it done right the first time it is a BREEZE. I have 12 custom ringtones i created from songs I had on my desktop. each is about 15 - 20 seconds long:thumbup:
  17. oliegirl

oliegirl New Member

I just bought by Q today and have been playing with it all afternoon. I had a number of mp3 ringtones on a 1 gb mini sd, which I put in the Q, copied the files to Application Data/Sounds...they show up when I go into a contact to edit it, but it doesn't play the ringtone when I have that tone pulled up in the menu...if that makes sense. I went ahead and set one, my home number, but when I call the Q it just plays the Windows Default tone. Any ideas????
  18. BittenToDeath

BittenToDeath New Member

I use MP3's for my rintones because they take up way less space than WAV files. I use activesync to put them in My Documents and they show up perfect.
  19. oliegirl

oliegirl New Member

They are MP3's, I managed to get some of them working - but there are 2 or 3 that for some reason won't play as ringtones, but when I play them in Media Player they play fine. I'm going to make a few more ringtones and see if they transfer over ok.
  20. SamS

SamS New Member

hey guys I got the ringtones to work, but now im having a problem with the volume settings. I put it all up and still sounds kinda low? ive also playd with the audio enhancer,,, and still no luck, any suggestions?