MP3 Volume

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by AutoXdriver, Oct 16, 2007.

1. AutoXdriver

AutoXdriver New Member

MP3 Volume

I tried some headphones with my Q 9m today and it would not go very loud at all, not like an MP3 player would. You can't really rock out with it, and it would be almost useless in a noisy environment. This thing is marketed as an MP3 player + phone, but it (or at least mine) doesn't live up to that claim. I tried more than one set of headphones to no avail. Is anyone else having this problem?
  2. OceanQ9m

OceanQ9m New Member

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. It is marketed almost as an MP3 player first and then a phone - but it is not loud. I was going to post about this so here we are now. (Quite frankly I'm surprised this has been posted about more.)

Does anyone at all have any tips on getting this thing louder? Like ipod loud? A hack? Or even ripping music files in a different way to boost them? I currently rip them as MP3s, then convert them to WMAs at 96.

Thanks all.
  3. AutoXdriver

AutoXdriver New Member

I wonder if the VCast music they try to sell us through the phone works any better, anyone tried it?

I just can't believe they are calling this thing a media player when you have to be in a totally silent environment to hear any music through headphones, and even then its not loud at all.
  4. codester3388

codester3388 New Member

I have the S9 Bluetooth headphones and they are plenty loud for the speakers being so small. I never tried wired headphones though so I can't give my experience on that but the bluetooth headphones are really loud from my point of view. Maybe the headphone jack doesn't provide enough juice to make it louder. If that is the case then its Motorola's fault for doing that.
  5. AutoXdriver

AutoXdriver New Member

Thanks for that info. I'm thinking the bluetooth headphones have their own audio amp (actually, they would have to).

So the solution appears to be to go with Bluetooth, or I have found another solution for wired headphones: http://www.boostaroo.com/. It's a shame Motorola didn't give it adequate volume on its own.
  6. Qool Qustomer

Qool Qustomer New Member

Mine is plenty loud with wired or Bluetooth (stereo) headsets. (That wasn't the case with the original Q.) There are two volume controls to worry about, though. One in the media player and one for the Q (push in the scroll wheel for a couple of seconds to access). The S9 headsets also have their own volume, so that makes three. I can't actually deal with all three up full blast unless I'm in a really noisy place.
  7. spork27

spork27 Member

I find I get much better sound from my mp3s with TCPMP over WMP.
  8. AutoXdriver

AutoXdriver New Member

I'm using TCPMP which doesn't have a volume control by the way, it only has a preamp function that you can use to boost the volume slightly but it soon causes distortion (clipping) if used to boost the volume significantly. The volume wheel is all the way up, and it is not loud at all. Maybe some of them are defective, and some are not. I plan on taking it back to Circuit City where I bought it last week and try another one.

Thanks to all for the feedback everyone.
  9. spork27

spork27 Member

The volume control in TCPMP is the up and down on the direction pad, or at least the way I have mine set up it is.
  10. paramedicnate

paramedicnate New Member

I noticed today, I commute by bus and was having some trouble hearing some of the songs because I was sitting right over the rear wheels on the bus. Even while waiting to make my transfer it was hard to hear. I figured some BT head phones would be louder.

-Nate
  11. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

Try this to make certain it is as loud as possible:
    1. Goto the Settings:profiles and then select the menu for the Normal profile(assuming that is the profile you are using) - scroll down to the bottom and make sure the system sound is set at "Loud" - the default is 4 I think.

2. From the homescreen (before starting your media player) - push and hold the scroll wheel for about 2 seconds - you should see a volume bar - and make sure it is as loud as possible

3. start the media player, and set the volume level as high as you desire.

Hopefully these 3 steps will give you sufficient mp3 volume ...
  12. mwitzah

mwitzah New Member

read through & didn't see any reference to editing the base threads. go to hklm/software/motorola/bpctrlr/wavedev/basegains

there are a few aras t slowly modify settings for a major boost to volum. theres a whole thread on this - if you search for "base gains" you'll get all the detail (but it works & totally rocks!)
  13. AutoXdriver

AutoXdriver New Member

I make sure my media player and thumb wheel volume are all the way up. Changing the system volume in the profile I'm using (Normal) didn't seem to have any effect on the music volume.

Thanks for the registry tip mwitzah. I'm going to have to go look for a registry editor I guess. I did a search for "base gains" over the entire forum and got no hits, but got one with "basegains", even thought the thread was mostly about ring tones. I'll still play around with it and see what happens and post my findings.
  14. mwitzah

mwitzah New Member

I guess I'm not experienced enough to say for a FACT that this will improve volume while playing MP3s, but I'm pretty darned sure it will. There are several options for upping the gains, and some are speakerphone and some are bluetooth headsets. I can't imagine why an increase in speakerphone gain wouldn't also up the volume of other noises coming out the same speaker.

And as a funny side note, the first time I got a phone call with my newly upped gain (from 8 to 10) I just about had a heart attack. Thank goodness I was walking outside along the street when it rang, otherwise I can't even imagine my reaction. I've settled with a 9 now :tounge:
  15. fjabad

fjabad New Member

I experienced this problem also. The volume upon playing any songs was dramatically reduced as to the point where I could hear the song only by putting the speakers right next to my ear. This occured after I had connected my Q 9m to my computer so I could transfer some songs to the storage card. I tried every volume setting known - switched profile to loud, windows media volume to max, thumb wheel volume to max, call volume to max, but nothing worked. So I did a master reset and the volume was normal again. Could be an operating system bug, but who knows.
  16. kfurman

kfurman New Member

Volume on Q 9m

Thanks!!! That's the trick -- push the wheel for a couple of seconds to see the overall volume control. Now it is plenty loud -- even had to set my Media Player volume down to 55%.

Now I really really like this phone.
  17. OceanQ9m

OceanQ9m New Member

I bought a Boostaroo cause I was fed up.

Media phone....(odd how someone at Verizon, Motorola, whatever, forgot about volume being an important aspect of music). Anyway, I know it is another whole device I have to carry around which does suck, but I now have more clarity and volume than my ears can handle. Literally. E
  18. srubin

srubin New Member

Thanks this work for me.

Thanks this worked for me. A probelm that Verizon or Moto cpuld not help me with. SAM
  19. Drewb

Drewb New Member

Fixed it for me too!

Holding the scroll wheel did the trick! Thanks.

BTW, I have found Motorola and Verizon support to be pretty unknowledgeable. When I could not get my 4GB mini SDHC to work, they both told me that the Q9m would not read HC cards. Having read the forum, I knew better. Eventually I got it to work. This and other support forums are much more useful than the mfr/vendor tech support as far as I am concerned.

Thanks everyone.

Drew
  20. mcgil463

mcgil463 New Member

howd you get ur sdhc card to work in ur q9m? i cant get it to work.. help plz!!!