MP3 Ringtones

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by adg12012, Jul 17, 2006.

1. adg12012

adg12012 New Member

MP3 Ringtones

Hi, I'm not sure if this is old news, or if there's an easier way to do it, but this is how to set MP3 songs as your ringtone.:)

First, Copy the desired MP3 inside the Windows folder of your Q (you can do this from your computer or the Q file browser)
    Then go to Media Center in the start menu and go into Audio. There should be a bunch of differant audio files...just scroll down to MP3 song you copied and hit Menu-Set as Ring Tone and Ta Da...you're done!:thumbup:
  2. jbennion

jbennion New Member

Putting MP3 ringtones on storage card

Anyone know how to assign ringtones to a group of people, rather than individually? I think you have to buy a third party app for that. Same thing goes for "unknown" versus "known" callers.

Anyway, here's a hint that I haven't seen documented anywhere else:

If you want to put your ringtones on your storage card instead of on the phone itself (as you can quickly fill up your native storage capacity with MP3s), just place the MP3 files/clips in the root of the storage card folder. (Open explorer smartphone", click on My Windows Mobile-based Device, and click on "Storage Card". All MP3s you put there will show up in the list of possible ringtones. Note that you should be careful not to name the files identically to the ones you store on your phone's native storage, as they'll both show up and you won't be able to tell them apart.
  3. laurar

laurar New Member

Okay, I was able to get teh songs on the card doing it the above way - but every time i try to switch my ringtone to one of those custom ringers it goes back to 'none'

So I can put them on the actual Q but they seem to take up a huge amount of space. On my old Motorola E815 I must have had 10 ringtones for different people that way I never had to even look at my phone to know who was calling me. I want this to set up the same way! HELP!
  4. q-rocks

q-rocks New Member

On my Q, if I change my ringtone via Media Center, and then go back into Settings-->Sounds, the ringtone shows as "Vibrate". If I then exit the Settings window, my phone actually switches to vibrate (little icon shows up at the top).

Funny how yours shows "None" in this case.

Now if I set the ringtone as above and do not go into Settings-->Sounds, the ringtone is set properly (I hear it when it rings).

3 hints:
    1. You can put the MP3s or whatever on your storage card in a folder called "My Sounds" if you don't want to clutter the root. They will show up in Media Center-->Audio.
    2. You can set individual ringtones for people in their contact information. However you cannot choose from the storage card. You are stuck with the defaults. There is a registry setting that defines where the phone looks for these, but I haven't messed with it yet.
    3. Don't go into the Sounds menu after you set the ringtone, or else you will lose the setting and be forced to set it again. This is a bug for sure.
  5. JPollardNH

JPollardNH New Member

A little trick I learned to save space is to use an audio editing program (I'm using Adobe Audition, but just about any audio editing program will do) and cut a 15-20 second snippet of the song. If the phone rings, it won't ring for much longer than that before going to voice mail anyway, and in a bunch of songs I've used, the chorus is more interesting than the first 15 seconds anyway.

If anyone out there wants to do this but doesn't have any audio editing software, I'll be more than happy to do the editing for you. I'm kind of a geek and I own a little media production business... PM me and I can have the audio file out to you within a day.
  6. laurar

laurar New Member

Okay, I misunderstood - I thought I could pull songs from card as ringtones for contacts. That is not the case?

I did the editing of the songs and saved them as .WAV files but they are still like 7mb and if I put 5 of them on my phone then my phone's memory is full.

Can I still get songs via Get it Now through Verizon? Would they be a smaller file?
  7. JPollardNH

JPollardNH New Member

laurar-
    You can get songs through Get it Now but of course you'd have to pay for them. Since you already have the songs, use the method I described above -- a 7MB WAV file, cut down to ringtone length and converted to MP3, is about half a megabyte.
  8. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

Save your money...Go Here http://motomail.co.uk/. 1000s of ringtones in mp3 format already cut into "ringtone length". Courtesy of one of our fellow members.
  9. kayak999

kayak999 New Member

I want my custom ringtones for Contacts, too! I'm new and have had the Q only a few days. Couldn't stand waiting in baggage for luggage with nothing to do now that I have to check bags...So - I want my custom songs with my contacts like Laura. I searched the forum after joining and this is the first thing I found. What am I missing? Can't do it from the storage card?

Can you delete those preloaded songs and get more space there to get ringtones personalized?
  10. IndyQ

IndyQ New Member

Tom, thanks for the headsup on the motomail website. Great ringtones and easy to download. However... They are now on my phone and they play when I scroll through my ringtones, but I have attached them to contacts, Via edit contact, but they don't play when the people call me. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
  11. gad

gad New Member

MP3's as custom ringtones for individual contacts:
    AFTER SEARCHING FOR 2 DAYS AND NO ONE AT VERIZON ABLE TO OFFER A SOLUTION I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DEVISE A PROCESS WITH HELP FROM PEOPLE AT THIS SITE AND ELSEWHERE:
    (1) use WAVEPAD (download free) to make/ edit a 15 - 20 second clip of a song you have on your home computer
    (2) open activesync - copy your new song clip to EXPLORE - MY WINDOWS MOBILE BASED DEVICE - APPLICATION DATA - SOUNDS
    (3) go to Contacts - Select someone - MENU-EDIT - change your ring tone.
    THE ringtones you created will be available.
    WORKS PERFECT*********
    wavepad IMPORTANT SHORTCUT - scroll to hi-light the 15 seconds you want then on the left hand side click:
    EDIT
    TRIM START AND END.
    note: you wont see this option to TRIM START AND END until you scroll hi-light the section of the song you want.
  12. RileyMartin

RileyMartin New Member

for some reason i keep getting reverted back to a non selected ringer....does it matter if its an mp3 save or a .wav?

I followed the instructions perfect
  13. jefffree

jefffree New Member

Maaaan, I followed this to the letter. I see the new .mp3 file in the updated list of audio files. When I go to set the ringtone in the Settings/Sounds/Ring tone menu, the new sound is not there.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
  14. Joe_G

Joe_G New Member

Does anyone have a clip of an old Bell phone ringing they could post up? My old Sanyo had that and I like that the best.
  15. qnoob

qnoob New Member

search over at http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php . . . there's plenty of old school sounds like that over there (free, of course).
  16. louisfinn

louisfinn New Member

I am new to the forum and I am by no means an expert. I have had my Q for about a week now and have been doing some messing around. I had the same problems with assigning the ringtone to certain people and it would revert back to the original. Not sure if this has been mentioned but when I went into sounds and assigned one of my new mp3's to everybody( or all calls) it worked. Then I went in and assigned a different downloaded ringtone to somebody in my contact list it stuck with that person. So assigning one of my ringtones that I downloaded to all calls seem to allow me to assign my downloaded ringtones to individuals in my contact list. I have only tried it with one person and it worked for me. Hope it keeps working.
  17. bonerccu

bonerccu New Member

i have no idea what im doing. i have purchased a miniSD card for my sprint motoQ its a 2GB disk. i have tried many different ways as to puttin data/mp3s/anything on to the disk.... wierd things happen no matter how i move the info. if someone could please tell me the correct wait to store/copy/move files to the storage card it would be amazing. oh, please treat me like an idiot when replying... i have lil knowledge/experience w/ stuff of this sort.
  18. pmf123

pmf123 New Member

I;m glad i'm not the only one this is driving NUTS!!!!!

I thought i was going crazy!

I can set an MP3 from the Media Center as a ringtone, but as soon as I go into Settings->Sounds its gone, and the setting is back to Vibrate.

I also have found NO way of putting a custom MP3 on a specific contact... is it correct if its a WAV file that WILL show up in the custom ring tone list?
  19. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

never tried a WAV file but i know MP3s work

to set up a tone as a specific contact...go to the contact and edit that contact...scroll down until you see ringtone and you will be able to select whatever sound you want...
    put the file either in \application data\sounds or \storage card (if you have a card)

also, make sure your profile is set to normal...that might be why it is not sticking perhaps you have it set on automatic
  20. john1_83

john1_83 New Member

DON'T put ringtones in \Windows folder

I have been playing with new ringtones for the last couple hours and ran into the same problems you all are running into. Follow the instructions in GAD's post earlier in this thread. Place your MP3 files in the
    \application data\sounds folder on your Q. It solved all of my problems. My ringers show up on the ringtone selection lists, both the individual contact ringer and the overall ringer in settings\sounds menu. They stay set even after rebooting the phone. And if anyone is looking for a program to use to make the ringtone files and already uses/has NERO 7, use the NeroWaveEditor program. Very easy to use and keeps quality high and filesize low. I am willing to make specific ringtones for people also. I just need to know what song and what portion of the song you want.