MP3 Playback in my car? HELP

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by jdmparts04, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jdmparts04

jdmparts04 New Member

MP3 Playback in my car? HELP

Hello,

New to the forum. I used the search function but have not found any results. I currently use the BTAudioSP Program to listen to my Mp3's through my BT headset. I want to be able to plug my Q into my Auxillary Port in my car and play my MP3's through my car speakers. I have a 2006 Acura TSX. What exactly do I need and where can I purchase it? Would the file info be visible in my navi screen? Part numbers or links would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
  2. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

I am not sure exactly, but if you do have an aux port on your stereo than all you should need is the stereo headphone converter sold here at EQ (I am on my mobile or else I would gve you a link) and then an aux cable that runs about about $5-15 at almost any store that sells stereo equipment, Walmart should carry it.

Then you just plug the converter into th headset port on the top of your phone and hen run the cable from the Q to your car and the music should play through your car speakers. You won't be able to change tracks through the car, you will stil need to use the Q for that, but it does work great.

If your car doesn't have the AUX port then instead of the cable you would need either a tape adapter like we used to use to hook up portable CD players in the car, or an FM transmitter that will let you turn your radio to a certain frequency and play the music that way. Both of hese ar also avaliale at Walmart and would be needed instead of the cable.

One last note... When it comes to the headpone converter, you can get them at radio shack, but don't. Even though the ones at radio shack say they are stereo they will play mono through the q, plus buying stuff from th EQ store helps support our community, and everything should work great with your phone.

If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask.
  3. ryant35

ryant35 Member

I bought mine at Radio Shack. I only have the left channel because the adapter only has 2 stripes, which are 2 channels. The Q needs 3, mic, left & right.
  4. lil_sunshine

lil_sunshine New Member

I've got an old old car with a tape deck, so I use the tape adapter set up. Like ryant said, you cannot see the info through your stereo, but this may not be such a bad thing because you can use voice command. I use it all the time to make calls on my Q through my stereo. Love that. I think you can even get it to play music with voice commands, but I don't know how to do that.

By the way, I had a converter cable with mic from Verizon, & it was horrible. It played the music fine through my stereo, but phone calls only came in at a lower volume and only through one speaker (the right speaker wouldn't you know). I still don't get that.
  5. jdmparts04

jdmparts04 New Member

Thanks for the info! I actually have built in navigation and bluetooth in my vehicle. So when Im in my car I use the built in blue tooth voice commands. When using my headset, of course Im using the Q's commands. Becuase I use that BTAutdio Program to play music through my headset, I tried to set it up where it would play through my car's bluetooth, but no luck.

So I will go ahead and order the adapter off this site, and get an aux cable. Too bad I can't control it through my navi screen.
  6. pistacio

pistacio New Member

Some help for a fellow Acura owner....

I'm not sure if your TSX bluetooth has the ability to recognize the Q for audio playback other than for phone calls. Have you tried to pair it with the Q as a "stereo headset" rather than a "hands-free"?

If you have questions about your TSX, check out http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/ . You may find some answers there from other TSX owners.

Here's a head start, searched for "bluetooth audio" http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/search.php?searchid=531055

Here's the stereo adapter on e-bay
    OEM Motorola (p/n SKN 6183) adapter for the 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone jack---ebay $5.62 shipped!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260191511013&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016
  7. jdmparts04

jdmparts04 New Member

Pistacio,

Thanks for the heads up! You know I tried to see if my TSX would allow just audio to pass through, but it does not allow me to do so. The only thing it allows is audio for a call in progress.

By chance do you know what size the input is in my TSX? I mean if I get a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter, the auxillary cord will be 3.5 right on both ends? Will I need another adapter for the vehicle input side?
  8. pistacio

pistacio New Member

No problem...don't forget to hit the THANKS! button.

I read thru a couple of the threads on Acurazine.com. I believe you have your aux port in your console somewhere?

Plug in the 2.5 to 3.5mm stereo adapter to the Q, (<---the one i linked to on ebay)

Then one end of this cable (Wal-mart has them, about $5) into that adapter... http://www.meritline.com/3-5mm-ipod-aux-straight-cable.html

And the other end into your TSX's aux port.

I also made a thread about playing streams and mp3 here: http://www.everythingq.com/forum/motorola-q/streaming-audio-from-q-to-an-external-stereo-15536.html