Motorola Update Software won't find Q9c

Discussion in 'Windows PC and Moto Q' started by jlasich, Sep 21, 2008.

1. jlasich

jlasich New Member

Motorola Update Software won't find Q9c

I just received my first smartphone, a Q9c, the other day and decided to update the OS to the new WM6.1. After installing ActiveSync 4.5 and the Motorola Update Software, the phone will sync fine with the computer but the Motorola software can't find the device. It just sits there at the main screen with a "no phone connected" message. I have ensured that the USB-to-PC box is checked, tried it without ActiveSync only connecting and not syncing, turned the power off and back on on both the computer and phone, and tried it with and without my firewall. Still nothing.

Can anyone who has updated their Q9c, and is running Windows XP, confim if you have SP2 or SP3 installed? I currently have SP3 installed and maybe the Moto software won't work properly with SP3. That is the only thing I can think of, but I thought the Windows Service Packs were backwards compatible.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

check active sync on the pc to see if advanced device is selected
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard...

when i upgraded i still had XP SP2. there is some talk about service packs and upgrading so i suggest a search...
  4. jlasich

jlasich New Member

Thanks for the idea n99hockey. I checked for that in Activesync but did not find an "Advanced Device" option. In File -> Connection Settings, I have "Allow USB connections" checked, "Show status icon in taskbar" checked, and "Open ActiveSync when my device connects" checked.

I have searched for other users who may have run into this issue but those who have never mentioned what version of Windows they were using, let alone what service pack.

Any other ideas, anyone?

If not, I'll take the phone to my nearest dealer and see if they can do it.
  5. sweet1ne

sweet1ne New Member

usb drivers

try updating your USB drivers for your phone it worked with me when i had the same problem here-----> http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/nss/usb_drivers_pc_charging_drivers.asp

its the first clikable link:)
  6. hyp96er

hyp96er New Member

Hi, I am having the same problem. None of the above recommendation have worked. Active sync is running and my phone is connected to it, but MSU isnt connecting to my phone.
  7. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Firewall has to be off
    Disable your anti-virus
    IF you have a router then patch your way to a direct connection to the internet.
    IF you are on dial-up then it's going to be hit and miss getting the update --they recommend high speed.
    Use a different USB port, preferably one in the back of the PC w/c has a direct connection to the mother board.
    Battery must have a full charge
    And try turning the phone off & then back on then connect to the PC
    Check and uncheck the Advanced Network thingie (name is escaping me)
    Hopefully fr4nk1yn or someone will check this thread & give you the name & where to look for it.
    fr4nk1yn :angry:--you still around?
    Tired I guess...
  8. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

I've done all those things and Motorola Software Update still won't detect my phone.
    :frown:
  9. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

occasionally just installing RSD lite will get Motorola Software Update working
  10. CJCM

CJCM New Member

Long time but i think i have solution

Well, i had the same problem, i just go to configuration-conexions-pc usb-check advancde conectivity.

Otherwise i have problem updatoing becuase the Motorola software updater says i dont need any update but i havewindows mobile 6.o so it is no detecting i need windwos mobile 6.1!!!! I need some help.
  11. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

MSU won't update the phone if it's out of warranty.

you may want to look into RSD lite and flash the update manually
  12. CJCM

CJCM New Member

Great!

Great so you are saying that i can upgrade it without warranty??/ what is rsd lite?? If i can update it please tell me how !! PLease!
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I'm not sure, I've never used RSD lite but try this thread
  14. CJCM

CJCM New Member

Well that should be not plan b, i mean plan c.

It is to risky to do that thing man, well i think. Does it can brick my phone??

My issue is that Motorola Software Update in the step 2, says there is no update to my phone, but that is a lie becuase i need windows mobile 6.1. Is there a way to fix this?? is there a secure way to just flash it to 6.1?? PLease i really want this update!
  15. n99hockey

do anything to your phone is risky
    i used RSD Lite to upgrade my Q9c to get 6.1 and it was fine

its not a lie, technically
    while yes there IS an update for the phone 6.1 your phone as stated is out of warranty so it wont see that an update is available

if you want 6.1 its RSD Lite or nothing
  16. CJCM

CJCM New Member

Sorry for posting same questions.

17. n99hockey

yes that is the instructions
    you need to find the upgrade file for your carrier
  18. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I remember Cell Zealot saying at one point that there are certain files that need to be backed up on the Sprint Q so that they can be restored after the flash (so that data still works)
  19. CJCM

CJCM New Member

i am confused

So i need to find a monster flash for alltel??

Becuase here is the deal with me, i have never done a kind of flash to my phone and i recently got it i dont want to brick it i love this phone.
    I got it flashed to work in Viva dominicana, a service privder from my country, but when i got it flashed the phone got the same applications and -interface- like an alltell Motoq9c, like the lime one. (But my phone is the Motoq9c Sprint, it has it logo in the front and back of my phone) The altell logo appears turning on my phone and also turning it off, SO I GUESS i can say it is an alltel motoq9c working for Viva dominicana network with his prl and those things.

In that case i need to find a Altell monster flash?

Thanks to everyone that have helped me.
  20. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

In that case, yes. I would say that you need the Alltel flash file which I think should make it easier