Motorola Test Unit

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by zieglerj, May 5, 2008.

1. zieglerj

zieglerj New Member

Motorola Test Unit

Hi everyone,

I bought a q9h on ebay about a year ago. It was before the Q's were available for AT&T, but the seller said that he had gotten it from a Motorola exec that loaded it with the AT&T software. Anyway it's worked fine until today.

I noticed today when when I'd set it to Normal profile, it would automatically change back to Silent. So I turned off the phone and turned it back on. When it came back on, there was a weird screen saying it was preparing to start for the first time, and not to interrupt the process. When it had finished, all my data was gone, the screen layout was different and it said:

Alert
    Your usage is being monitored. Business
    and Personal usage data will be sent to
    Motorola for monitoring. Further info at
    www.motorola.com/foundit

So what's that all about, and can I fix it?

Thanks,

Jonathan
  2. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I hate to tell you this but it seems that this unit belonged to the company and when they found out it has been gone, they remote activated the software that cleaned it and rebooted it and now is telling you that they will be tracking it so they can find out who has it and where it is. Similar to alot of protection softwares out there you can get for yourself that do the same thing.

Say you lose it or someone jacks it, you can remotely lock and reset your phone to protect your data and then it will transmit GPS to help you locate it. Sorta kinda like Lojack if you will. Sorry you got a raw deal but it seems that person lied to you big time.

What can I say, from the horse's mouth:
    Motorola's prototype handsets are the private property of Motorola. Usage of Motorola's prototype handsets is confidential and closely monitored, to ensure proper authorization. If you are not a Motorola employee or have not received authorization directly from Motorola to use this prototype product, please provide the following information. This information will be used to investigate potential product leaks, misuse of Motorola property and violations of Motorola rights. The unauthorized use, sale or possession of such prototype handsets is a violation of Motorola rights.
  3. cheri

cheri Active Member

yikes that doesnt sound good
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard....

as the previous posters said, it might just be an unusable unit.
  5. igotaq

igotaq New Member

Only way to fix this is by flashing your phone.

Didn't someone post all the flash files on their website? Also, it might brick your phone since its a pre-production hardware.

goodluck
  6. zieglerj

zieglerj New Member

Can you tell me how to go about doing that? I have my old Razr so I can move my SIM over at least if it screws it up completely

7. igotaq

igotaq New Member

8. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

just google motorola q9h monster flash file maybe youll find something
  9. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Unfortunately, I highly doubt it. I've scoured the internet for that same file. If you find it though, PLEASE share the link, as I'm dying to get it to have a back up so I can apply 6.1 to mine.
  10. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

We're hosting a few Q9h ROM's at maximus Forums, but be warned, they are all for the Euro Q9h.... 2100 band and no GPS. If your hardware is compatible you could be OK, but if it really is an AT&T Q9h, you will probably render it useless.

Here's a link to the ROMs
  11. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Sorry GraemeCR, forgot to mention there are those.

Who knows what type he has though, since its a prototype. I'm just scared hes going get the "barker not set" error too....

What ever happened to that guy ????
  12. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Let's be frank, I have searched the internet for them, not because I need them but just out of curiosity to help and they are all bull and scams out there. There are people claiming they have it and then they don't deliver and then there are those who say they have it but it will cost you and there is no guarantee its legit.

Until the day someone posts a link and it has been verified by someone who is a developer or a professional, Google it isn't going to cut it. So unless there are direct links and working files, people need to stop posting google it and similar unhelpful suggestions.

Before anyone starts whining and crying about this, I am not being a dick, just venting because there is little helpful links and yet people just posting away. I mean I have already stopped participating in much of the discussions because of this, not helpful to waste everyone's time.
  13. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

considering Moto is watching...and may soon render the device useless

send an email asking why you got the message and include the ebay transaction #. Sound ignorant about it being a prototype and how you thought the device was legit. Possible they may swap or reset device for normal use.
  14. rbrainard

rbrainard New Member

YEP... I agree with mike250rs here... Play dumb and tell them you were obviously scammed on the ebay sale.
  15. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

odds are they don't care about the device anymore, just how it made it out in the open. My even be gratefull for any assistance also..
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

He's probably right. I'd go with that. Can't hurt. I mean, its not like YOU acquired the device illegaly. If you bought it on eBay, you had no idea that it wasn't a legit device.
  17. igotaq

igotaq New Member

The chances of Motorola Rep to tell you to go back to the ebay seller are also high. IMO.. I think you are SOL, unless you find the flash file to flash your phone.
    Also, remember you have a pre-production phone so dont count on updating to wm6.1. (you might brick your phone)

anyways.. good luck to you
  18. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Agreed. If you are innocent in this and did everything right, play dumb it might work for you. But keep in mind that in the end, its up to them because unfortunately under the law, not knowing something is hot doesn't make it ok for you to posses it, its called conversion and you become liable too. Sorry.
  19. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

He, and another poster at maXimus Forums had the same "barker not set" error message after trying to flash an AT&T Q9h with a "Euro" ROM. I think the only possible chance to resuscitate their phones is going to be an AT&T ROM.

It seems to point to some very significant differences between two devices which appear to be very similar.
  20. Geekster

Geekster New Member