Motorola Sholes Android Phone

Discussion in 'Future Motorola Q Smartphones' started by wnrussell, Aug 8, 2009.

1. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Motorola Droid Android Phone

For those looking for the next generation Motorola smartphone, here it is:

[​IMG]

And the phone may be available as early as October this year and for Verizon by Christmas. The pricing is about $199. In addition, the main specifications of the Sholes includes:
    * OMAP3430 – 600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX 530 GPU + 430MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)
    * Dimensions 60.00 x 115.80 x 13.70 mm
    * Weight 169 g
    * Battery Li-ion 1400 mAh.
    * Standby 450 hours, talk time 420 minutes
    * 3.7-inch touch-sensitive display with a resolution of 854×480 pixels, 16 million color depth. Physical screen size is 45.72 mm by 81.34 mm.
    * 512MB/256MB ROM/RAM
    * microSD / microSDHC expansion slot
    * Camera: 5.0 megapixel with autofocus and video recorder
    * Connectivity: USB2.0, 3.5mm audio jack, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, Wi-Fi
    * Supported audio formats: AMR-NB/WB, MP3, PCM / WAV, AAC, AAC +, eAAC +, WMA
    * Supported video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, WMV
    * GPS navigation
    * Package Contents: Phone Motorola Sholes, battery, charger, USB cable, 8GB MMC and other literature.
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Looks nice, if it even looks like that when it's released. Specs seem good though
  3. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Interesting, very interesting. it's possible this may get me to switch to Verizon...
  5. txter

txter New Member

so did moto drop wm to give android a shot? is that their new game plan? i posted another thread with a moto android combo.
  6. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I believe that was the idea. There was some sort of release a while back that indicated that
  7. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Yeah, that's the idea they were telling me here!:

[​IMG]
  8. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

That is the game plan for now last I've heard also. word is they will get back into the WinMob game when WinMob 7 is out sometime in 2010. there main thing for now is working with getting android up and rolling on there new devices coming
  9. txter

txter New Member

10. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

either way I'm just glad they decided to put a decent camera on it.. a nice large screen is a + too
  11. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

?? What you read 2 days ago was eight months old. CES 2009 was January 8 through 11 in Las Vegas. Try setting up a Google Alert for "Windows Mobile 7" for the latest news.
  12. OklahomaHoss

OklahomaHoss Member

Meh..it's a slider. I dont like sliders. I like the solid feel of the one piece Q9.
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Motorola builds some pretty solid feeling sliders
  14. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

That article is way old tho, plus when is Microsoft ever get anything done on time. Rarely ever so I wouldn't really count on what they are saying at this point yet. Heck they aren't even really using much of WinMob 6.5 from what I've seen lately so to think 7 will be only a couple months behind it is pressing it IMO.
  15. txter

txter New Member

oh ya...duh...
    the artical i read a few days ago was on yahoo's front page. it was talking about the keynote speaker of the upcoming ces show. it mentioned that the speaker would be bill whats-his-name and he would be talking about wm7 and that it would be out by november. i tried to search for that artical but couldnt come up with it on yahoo. i did a few googles and saw that but didnt pay attention to the date. sorry.
  16. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

I have a Google Alert set up for "Windows Mobile 7" and there is nothing going on with it compared to Android.
  17. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

article. I had to switch to desktop mode to post from my Q. Something is wrong with the mobile site.
  18. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I thought I read somewhere that Ballmer was going to do the keynote for CES next year. People are speculating that he could be taking Windows Mobile 7.

I'm not a big fan of that form factor (have the G1). I'm interested in seeing what they've done with their customized UI and/or social apps.
  19. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Microsoft is in the situation it is in due to its stagnation for the last few years in developing Windows Mobile. I'd bet 99% of users cannot tell a Windows Mobile 5 device from a Windows Mobile 6.1 device unless a manufacturer like HTC has heavily modified the user interface. WinMo 5 came out in 2005 and WinMo 6.1 came out in 2008. We are on the back half of 2009 and WinMo 6.1 is the latest platform. So basically, the OS looks and feels much like it did in 2005. Four years in the mobile phone space is an eternity. Consumers want new stuff regularly. Mildly freshening up your phone every 18-24 months just doesn't cut it.

-Businessweek

Edit: There were two articles in Businessweek today. Here is the other one: Microsoft's Windows Mobile: Time to Hang Up?
  20. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Watch Out, iPhone: New Motorola Android Phones to Sport Beefy Specs

Motorola Sholes Specs

The Motorola Sholes is said to come on Verizon's network and is deemed as the flagship Google Android device this year. The Sholes will also be Verizon's first Google Android phone. One of Sholes' main strengths will be its 3.7-inch screen, which would be larger than the iPhone's or HTC's Android offerings.

The Motorola Sholes is rumored to ship with Eclair (probably Android 2.0), featuring many user interface enhancements and a focus on gaming and multimedia. The expected retail price for the Motorola Sholes (with a Verizon contract) is $199 and speculation puts a launch date for the device sometime in November.

- PC World

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1699...rola_android_phones_to_sport_beefy_specs.html