Motorola Q9H connected to MAC OS 10.5.2 Instructions.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by jasoninaz, May 11, 2008.

1. jasoninaz

jasoninaz New Member

Motorola Q9H connected to MAC OS 10.5.2 Instructions.

This took me a week to figure out. If you find it useful shoot me an email. Jason@@@@@@@clientrescue.com

I got my Mac Last week so I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm posting this from my Q9H watching tv and drinking beer.
    Make sure you follow the Bluetooth setup assistant.
    read below for the settings...

Go to Network preferences
    On the left side press the plus key at the bottom of the screen.
    interface: select bluetooth
    service name: create one

phone number: *99# (I have AT&T)
    account name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (Yes I did mean to make this upper case lowercase does not work)
    password: CINGULAR1
    click on advanced at the bottom
    [​IMG]

This took me a week to figure out. If you find it useful shoot me an email. Jason@@@@@@@clientrescue.com

I got my Mac Last week so I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm posting this from my Q9H watching tv and drinking beer.
    Make sure you follow the Bluetooth setup assistant.
    read below for the settings...

Go to Network preferences
    On the left side press the plus key at the bottom of the screen.
    interface: select bluetooth
    service name: create one

phone number: *99# (I have AT&T)
    account name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (Yes I did mean to make this upper case lowercase does not work)
    password: CINGULAR1
    click on advanced at the bottom
    [​IMG]

vendor: generic
    model: dialup device
    check: error correction and compression
    dial mode:ignore dialtone when dialing

dialing: tone
    sound: on

[​IMG]

Click OK
    Click Apply
    and finally
    Click connect

Also there is no init string for the modem. Also upon my suggestion lock these settings for nothing more than to make me happy.

If choose to do so google jasoninaz greatest hits and that I posted at another forum. All freeware, all legal.

Thanks, Jason
    www.clientrescue.com
  2. dwarden2

dwarden2 New Member

Thanks!

Thanks, man! Now sitting on my couch posting drinking a beer:2cool:
  3. abowen500

abowen500 New Member

These are great instructions and they work well for me. After I disconnect my Mac, however, the Q9h will freeze up requiring removal of the battery. Anybody else experience this or have any suggestions?
  4. jasoninaz

jasoninaz New Member

Yes it happens every single time. So that is a big draw back. Also, it happens on my friends Q11 too so it must have something to do with the bluetooth data streaming.

Jason
  5. abowen500

abowen500 New Member

Thanks Jason. I have tested this with a Windows XP laptop and would you believe it *doesn't* hang when that machine disconnects. I'm going to look at the generic gprs modem script and the way it terminates the connection. Any other ideas?
  6. abowen500

abowen500 New Member

Spent some time on this today and from what I can tell it's not the modem script. It seems to be 15-45 seconds after I disconnect the phone hangs. I've looked at PDAnet and USB Modem and I can't get either of them to work. Next I guess I'll try Windows in a VM on my Mac.

Is it possible to disconnect the session on the phone side? Disable bluetooth? Turn phone off?
  7. abowen500

abowen500 New Member

I've solved the problem. Tethering is my number 1 requirement for now. I returned the Q9h and bought a Samsung Epix. The Epix may be far from perfect but I can tether via bluetooth or USB out of the box with no third party software and no hanging or freezing from both Mac OSX and Windows.
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You returned the Q??? I think you should have returned the MAC instead :tounge:. Just messin with you. I was able to tether my 9H to my friend's MAC via BT with no problems and with no 3rd party app. Didn't experience a hang either. It doesn't matter now, but you can disconnect active sync from phone.

Start/active sync/menu/disconnect bt
  9. abowen500

abowen500 New Member

Good point Ninjaap, my friend. It just doesn't make sense. I had done a hard reset and the Q9h would hang everytime! USB tether wasn't an option that I could make work, even with USB Modem from Mobile-stream. I like the fact that the Samsung drivers/scripts come with OSX Leopard.
  10. abowen500

abowen500 New Member

Okay, I'm back. Did you miss me? I don't know how people use the Epix. I just returned it and actually got the Q9h cheaper than before due to some 6 month half price upgrade deal. I find Windows Mobile Standard much better than Pro. I'm just going to have to put up with bluetooth DUN from my Mac crashing my Q9h. But I do have a Dell Mini that I plan to travel with much more frequently so I don't think it'll be too much of an issue.