Motorola Q9C End Call Issue -Vote

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by adma, May 2, 2008.

?

Does your phone experience problems when trying to END calls?

1. This happens to me frequently.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. This happens on occasion

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. I know the solution and will post below :-)

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. ian13550

ian13550 New Member

Face it - WinMo is broken

<rant>
    I'm sorry, but this phone is a POS. I've read the forum (which is GREAT!) for all kinds of tips/solutions for all kinds of different problems. I've also read quite a few, "what do you expect, this is a mini-computer" apologies from MS or Moto fans when various issues arise (which is a crap response that just shows how low expectations are for MS products). But this issue is a bottom-line deal breaker. This is a PHONE that doesn't work. If my phone wasn't provided by my company, I would have dropped Sprint and this Moto Q months ago and asked for my money back.
    </rant>

What's crazy is that this is most likely NOT Motorola's fault but the crap-tacular Windows OS that is running on the hardware. I have a few friends with Sprint HTC and Moto phones running Win 5/6 and they all have issues surrounding stability, call ending, lockups, etc. I like Moto phones and I've owned a few in the past, but this is absolutely my first and last Windows-based phone.

Since I'm stuck with the device, I'm just hoping that some future upgrade or someone with more time to tinker with their device can figure out a solution since Sprint is pretty clueless on this one.

--Ian
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

When did you get your phone? I got mine in early december (after having a Q1 since last march) and (other than the end call issue when calling CS) I have had no stability issues. The only master reset that I did was just to prove to myself that Sprite backup works as advertised. Other than this (and the candle light thing that you fixed) what problems are you having?
  3. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

mine has worked great as well.
  4. ian13550

ian13550 New Member

I'm having the same issue as this thread is reporting and more:
    • OS thinks there is no active call while I am actively on the phone (home screen does not show active call). This can lead to really nice side-effects like voice mail messages to business people that are several minutes long because the only way to end the call is to yank the battery (once you realize what has happened).
    • OS thinks there is an active call so no data connection can be made when in fact no call in is progress. This is a great one because I stop receiving all my corporate email for hours at a time before I realize what has happened (incoming and outgoing calls work normally).
    • OS decides that all phone numbers in "recent call" list, contacts and voice dialing are "not a valid number"
    These are the 3 biggies. All of them require a battery yank to reset the phone. If I'm using my bluetooth headset, the frequency of these issues more than doubles.

The Exchange calendar sync is also pretty flaky with many, many inconsistencies between the handset and calendar when removing entries. However, that is a topic for another thread/day.

--ikb
  5. adma

adma New Member

You could just go to Sprint on the home screen and turn off the Radio... it doesn't 'require' you to yank the battery...
  6. Munan

Munan New Member

First off, hardware sucks regardless of the OS. If there IS a hardware problem, it will not matter what software is on it. Windows Mobile as a base OS is a beautiful piece of work, but when Sprint works their magic on it for their release, you end up with undesigned issue. Microsoft can't be blamed for this. It's the carriers and Motorola. Period.
  7. adma

adma New Member

Really. It's funny that if WinMo is so perfect that phones across ALL carriers and ALL platforms suffer similar issues.
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

in this case it may well be (since this error seems to happen most often with CS) that sprint did not fully integrate WM6 with their network. In my Q9c (early run with no hardware issues) I have this error as well. Other than this problem I have had no problem with either WM6 or the hardware. I seem to be in the minority on this one (but people with problems tend to be more vocal than those that have none)
    Hopefully (since this error has been reported to sprint numerous times) it will be fixed when they finally get around to releasing 6.1, but we will see.
  9. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

i beg to differ, but have no evidence to say otherwise. Look at MMS, it has to do with the fact that Sprint has not adapted to the wm os, but continue to sell the phones. I lost 2-3 different sprint functions by "upgrading" to my q9c.

It should OPEN doors, not close them. Call tones? Not even a possibility with a smartphone.
  10. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

imho, call tones are annoying anyway (no big loss there) Sprint doesn't use MMS either. Picture mail is an archaic system that is about 5-6 years old. The company that provides sprint's picture mail doesn't want to include windows mobile into their plan. so; for sprint to provide MMS to us, they would likely have to change every other phone on their network. None of these problems have to do with motorola or M$(since virtually identical phones running the same software don't have these problems on other carriers [except alltel]) as much as they have to do with Sprint.
  11. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

well smart man, what is that cock smoking company....???? (oh wait, cuz i wanna bash the ceo in the head with a rusty hammer)
  12. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

13. Munan

Munan New Member

That's right, which leaves the hardware...
  14. Munan

Munan New Member

sMMS works perfectly with my Sprint Moto Q9C.
    It sends Picture Mail as if it was originally designed to do so.
    Highly recommended download.

This also pretty much proves that Sprint is excluding WM phones by choice and not due to some incompatibility as they've claimed.
  15. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I believe that adma is referring "all" phones running Windows Mobile (regardless of manufacturer) have similar problems. Again, I have not had problems with mine (which rules out the hardware in my mind).
    Maybe there are problems with some hardware (but not all or even most).
    People with problems are usually more vocal than people who don't have any problems. So we hear mostly about handsets with problems rather than hearing about the ones that are working perfectly (mine)
  16. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

they told me that it was a choice some time ago ( apparrently the business line CS is more likely to reveal stuff like that)
    sMMS is basically what should have come pre-installed in our phones.
  17. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

they say in my business classes, 1 in 10 tells of a good encounter at a place, 7/10 tell about a bad experience.....fact
  18. Munan

Munan New Member

Oh I understand. Of course, Windows Mobile phones are different hardware in general. And yes, you don't find forums full of people going "I love my Q9C! God what a great phone!"
    Of course, I'm one of those people. I haven't had a single issue with mine and I feel badly for those who do. When this thing works, it works great!
  19. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

And that's how I ended up here (and at the forum listed in my profile), I've had nothing but good experiences and I like helping people through their problems too. (i'm that 1 in 10)
  20. adma

adma New Member

I think the problem is that people assume that others hate their phone when an issue comes up. I personally love my Q9C, but just want to find a solution to this one issue.