Motorola Q Hacks

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by tj!2k6, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

nope, not possible.
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

More Complete Answer

To expand on what Rude said, the Q doesn't have WiFi. There are MiniSD WiFi cards out there, but they apparently draw too much power and don't work.

Steve
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Running Registry Editors

If you've installed it from the CAB file, it should be in your Start menu.

Steve
  4. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

For some reason some of the links don't work properly unless you have your post-per-page setting set to 40. Here is the direct link to the post, and I will edit the original post.

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/16018-post167.html
  5. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

6. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

Here's a screenshot of that key.

Attached Files:

• reg.gif
      reg.gif
      File size:
      2.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Camera Entries

Here's the information exported from Resco Registry Editor. If you have that, you can copy and paste this into a text file (like Camera.reg) and import it without having to type things.

(I don't know why "wav" is being displayed as "w av" there, so fix that after pasting into the text file.)

In the future, I suggest two things.

First, give us the entire registry path (including HKLM\System), not a partial one. Don't make it harder to help you.

Second, never delete things from the registry -- rename them. It has the same effect but is much easier to recover from if you mess something up.

Steve
  8. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i think you have seen FIZZ...it modifies the look of the homescreen to add alternate icons for battery and what not...check out the software section for that
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Speed Hack

I assume that was supposed to be a joke, right? While XScale processors can change speeds, that's certainly not what the "speed hack" (a horrible name) does if we're talking about these:

The first buffers more "glyphs" (think of things like characters) which presumably allows the system to draw screens faster.

The second presumably boosts the cache size for the FAT file system, which I'm guessing keeps recently used things in RAM so the system doesn't have to get them from Flash memory (which is slower).

Wait until April Fool's Day for the jokes. :laugh2:

Steve
  10. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

11. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Soft Resets

That is not a soft reset. A soft reset is just turning the phone off and back on.

Some people call pulling the battery a "hard reset", although long-time Windows CE users don't because a "hard reset" implied resetting the device to factory settings (a Master Reset on the Q). I just call pulling the battery, well, "pulling the battery". :laugh2:

There is no need to pull the battery unless your Q is locked up or displaying strange behavior that a soft reset doesn't fix.

Steve
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Change And Rename Profiles

I was going to suggest that, too, but was also going to suggest renaming the Normal profile to Outdoor, renaming the Outdoor profile to Normal (or whatever) and changing its settings to whatever you wanted.

A simpler way to do it, although I haven't tried it, might be to rename the Normal registry key to Loud and vice versa (although you may need to use a temporary name to prevent conflicts). I don't know if that would affect other profiles, though, like Headset and Car (Headset seems to revert to the previous profile, not Normal, but maybe not always).

Steve
  13. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Two things you can do.
    1. Go into Start, Settings, Profiles and change the Alarm Type to something other than Increasing.
    2. Put your phone on Silent or Vibrate before you go into a meeting. :wink:
  14. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Changing System Folders

Try changing My Documents in HKLM\System\Explorer\Shell Folders to \Storage Card\My Documents. There are also other folders you can remap.

Steve
  15. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

E-mail Checking

All E-mail connections use data (except for syncing E-mail from Outlook while connected to your PC via USB or Bluetooth).

The EV-DO icon just lets you know what type of data connection is available. The two arrows do not mean that data is transferring; they just mean a data connection is active (but could be dormant). When data is actually transferring, you'll see the little PDA icon.

Steve
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Battery Life

There are probably lots of threads discussing battery life. For example, try the Whats the best way to save on Battery Life? thread, or just search on battery life.

Unless it's some kind of hack, this thread isn't really the right place for that discussion.

Steve
  17. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Start Menu Changes

Just do what you would do on Windows -- delete the icons (or, better yet, move them to a folder just in case) from the Start Menu. Look in \Windows\Start Menu.

You can change the colors using a Scheme file. You can put an image background in the Start Menu using a registry hack. The following should be suitable to import in Resco Registry Editor:

NOTES: This is for Resco Registry Editor. It may not work properly with other registry editors.

Also, note the two backslashes in the image file path (just before my image name of GoBlue.jpg). Those are required.

Finally, the numbers shown are Hex, not Decimal.

Do the following:
    1. Copy the quoted text above.
    2. Paste it into Notepad.
    3. Replace the bold text above with your image name.
    4. Save the file as Start Background.reg (the name isn't that important).
    5. Copy the file to your Q's \My Documents folder.
    6. Run the file on your Q. (If you also have PHM Registry Editor installed, you may need to use File->Import in Resco.)
    For reference, here's my custom Michigan Start Menu.

[​IMG]

Credit to JAmerican Junction, but ignore the comment about not being able to undo it without a Master Reset.

Also, a similar trick does not work for Messaging.

Steve
  18. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Speed Hacks

Changing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE allocates more memory to the glyph cache. Glyphs are things like characters, so this allows the display to be drawn faster.

Changing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\STORAGEMANAGER\FATFS increases the cache size for the FAT file system to speed up file access. It's similar to your hard disk having a bigger cache.

Like many PC things, you're basically trading space for time. You'll probably have less RAM doing these, but the system will be faster.

NOTE: These are basically educated guesses. I'm not an expert on Windows CE/Windows Mobile internals by any means.

Steve
  19. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Limiting the Cache Size

I didn't see this posted, and I don't know if it works, but I think you can limit the cache size by changing the CacheLimit value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content.

You can probably do similar tricks with the same value in the ...\Cookies and ...\History keys.

I think the values are expressed in KB, so 17164 KB for Content would be almost 17 MB. I'm dropping mine to 4096 (4 MB) to see what happens.

Steve
  20. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

256 seems rather high for a history, I put in 20, and 1024 is A LOT of cookies!
    Cachelimit 1024
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cookies

Cachelimit 20
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\History
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.