Motorola Q Global / Q9h - Is there a difference?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Gryffinclaw, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Gryffinclaw

Gryffinclaw New Member

Motorola Q Global / Q9h - Is there a difference?

Please forgive my ignorance.

When I go to buy this phone I am being shown a Q 9h Global which is black on the front and black with silver on the sides. However, I am also being shown a Q 9h phone which is black on all four sides.

Is there a difference between the two phones besides the colour? I want to make the best buying decision possible and I am confused as to why one version has an extension on the name and there is a slight colour difference.
  2. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

The Q9h Global is the AT&T branded version with US 3G bands. The Q9h is available unlocked/unbranded and carrier branded and is 3G capable for Europe & Asia and not the US.
  3. Gryffinclaw

Gryffinclaw New Member

Thank you for clearing things up.

If I want to buy the 9h unlocked and use it in the US will it still work? I ask because I am not on a provider that carries the Motorola smartphone.
  4. Technician

Technician New Member

Not all versions of Q9h are the Europe version.

The Canadian Q9h has the same bands and internal GPS as the US version.

And it is black all around.
  5. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

An unlocked one will still work but only at edge speeds/no 3G. If you are on t-mobile it willl be fine as t-mobile dosent have 3G yet. Otherwise you could always unlock a att Q9h or as technician says a Canadian Q9h, but AT&T is the only 3G provider in the U.S. so you might as well go with an unlocked and unbranded Q9h. Unless of course you need the gps.
  6. Sha're

Sha're New Member

Question about unlocking Motorola Q9h

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to clarify for me.

I have a cingular/att branded Motorola Q9h and am thinking of unlocking it from AT&T.

Before I do that I'd like to know that I won't lose the features already carrier dependant (3G/Video/ etc.). If I unlock the phone and stay with AT&T will those features still work? or will I lose the 3g, video, etc. features to gain those that AT&T may have disabled on the phone? Would the SMS, MMS settings remain in place or would I have to re-enter all that information.

I really like the phone as is, but I know by unlocking it, the full features of the phone would be useable, plus it would be useable on t-Mobile should I decide to switch.

Thanks and I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I'd just like a little more clarification before I do something I might regret.:wacko:
  7. crypto80

crypto80 New Member

i had an unlocked moto q global and i got 3g on my phone. however, i didnt get things like cellular video and some things in the 'at&t mall and media net'.
  8. Sha're

Sha're New Member

Thanks for your help crypto80. That's what I was afraid of. I think I'll place a call to AT&T this evening and speak with a tech support person just to be sure. The person who supplied me with the unlock code didn't sound like she would be able to answer anything. Since I got the unlock code from them directly perhaps they'll be able to give us a definitive answer. If I'm staying with them I would think that we should be able to get all the same services unlocked as locked, but I don't want to take the chance.

I'll post the answer here once I talk to them.
  9. Sha're

Sha're New Member

OK, Just got off the phone with AT&T customer service.
    Here is what I was told by Customer Service. If you unlock your AT&T branded phone you lose no functionality. 3G/Video/Video messaging will still work.

As posted earlier in this thread, if you use a U.S. non 3G provider, you will not have 3G functionality, but you will get Edge. Video services are also provider dependent, so I believe if you have a video package with AT&T you will still have that feature locked or unlocked. I'm sure other providers have these packages but I don't know if they will work.

Also if using this phone in Europe you might also not be able to use 3G because they use different bands for their 3G than in the U.S.

Hope this helps anyone that might want to know.

Cheers.
  10. crypto80

crypto80 New Member

im telling you from experience, i did not have access to any type of video streaming on my unlocked Q.........by the way, we all know how well informed AT&T reps are lol.
  11. la fours

la fours New Member

crypto, yours might not have come with the software, was it branded in any way? since she bought an at&t branded phone, by unlocking it, she should not lose those features. all that unlock code will do is allow her to take the phone anywhere in the world and put in a new sim card and it will work. from what i've read/heard, there are typically 2 locks on gsm phones. one that restricts what network can be used, and one that restricts software that can be installed.