Motorola Flash Mode

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by jtivat, Dec 8, 2008.

1. jtivat

jtivat New Member

Motorola Flash Mode

I have an old Q that I only use to run one program. I have not had it on in a long time and it was dead when I tried. The screen says the following when I plug it in to the the charger.

" Motorola Flash Mode
    Bootloader Version:
    BOOT_C_03.05.00R_MPAP

Charger Connected
    Please Connect the USB Cable"

Anyone have any idea's??

Thanks
  2. sherri

sherri Active Member

Turn it off/connect to a wall charger. Let it charge for a few hours. If that's a no go, since you don't have much installed, you can Master Reset....(this will make you lose all contacs/pictures/texts...but from what you said, that might not be much...)
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

charge with a wall charger and hope it recovers, if not it will take a master reset to fix.
  4. jtivat

jtivat New Member

Well the message appears as soon as it is plugged in with the phone off. The phone will not turn on so how do I master reset it??

Thanks
    JT
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

with a charged battery...

hold in the center chrome button and turn on. Keep the center button depressed while it boots. This will wipe everything from device.
  6. jtivat

jtivat New Member

It will not boot at all I get nothing???
  7. sherri

sherri Active Member

Try removing the battery. Keep battery out, but plug phone in. Turn phone off. Push and hold center silver button. While holding this down, power on phone. This should prompt you to Master Reset. Hopefully, this will work...I know I can use the phone this way (no battery, but on a plug...)Post back and let us know.
  8. jtivat

jtivat New Member

When I try this I see a short flash that looks like what I described in the first post then nothing.
  9. sherri

sherri Active Member

If you put the battery in, can you turn the phone off?
  10. jtivat

jtivat New Member

The phone is never really on. When I plug the charger in I get the message right away and then it goes away when it is unplugged.
  11. jtivat

jtivat New Member

Anyone?? Help please!
  12. jtivat

jtivat New Member

I updated the firmware and it fixed the problem.
  13. lispobel

lispobel New Member

i got the same problem and i dont know how to resolve it
  14. jtivat

jtivat New Member

I went to the Moto web site and downloaded the latest Firmware loader for the Q. I then ran it and plugged in the phone when it asked me too. Worked great after, but you do lose all your info. Also you have to put in a date close to today's date or it will not let you download it.
  15. puggurl

puggurl New Member

Bootloader Flash Mode Boot_C_03.05.00R_MPAP

Charged the Moto Q on my PC. It appeared to be fine, as I have charged it that way many times before. Went to turn it on. Verizon screen comes up SLOWLY. I think "well, maybe it did not charge", so I plug in car charger. Battery icon shows up briefly, then the Black Screen of death "Bootloader flash mode" appears and asks for USB cable insertion. I plug in USB to PC as I have a thousand times before. Nothing happens. Thus begins the four day serach to fix this problem. I have read a billion different posts on the topic, have downloads RSD 3.2, Got the Motorola Software Update, downloaded PK2 tools--have tried virtually everything. I can't decide if 1) the battery is INDEED charging when it's plugged into the AC wall adapter or 2) I should pull the battery, let it sit until it drains, then see what happens. Right now, the phone is plugged in to the AC wall adapter and is happily displaying the Flash Mode Screen, but thinks it's connected to the USB.
    I've tried the Master Reset with the Battery in (holding NAV key and power key), I've tried Master REset with Batter out and phone connected to AC charger. I see the screen looking like it's "trying" to do something...I see bars slowly moving around, then it goes blank.
    When I plug into the PC through the USB, the phone displays the Flash error message for about 20 secconds, then goes dark, thus losing whatever connection to the PC that it had. I got it connected long enough to MSU for it to tell me that there is no new software for my device. I've searched for flash files everywhere and found one, but when MSU updated, it must have zapped it because it's not in the folder anymore.
    I am totally puzzled and at my wit's end, at this point.
    If a non-charged battery is the cuplrit in this, and the Q IS charging while I type this, then eventually things should work out, right? I should be able to Master Reset? But then in thinking about all that I've ready, with the battery out and pushing the NAv and power key, I should be able to reset the phone without the battery. I have read conflicting methods of doing this. One post said to hold both keys at the same time. Another post said to hold the NAv key, then press the power button to generate the Reset function. Which is the correct method? One post said to hold both keys down for a minute and a half. Another post said to press the power key randomly until the Verizon logo comes up. Which one is correct?
    I would appreciate any help from anyone who has been down this road and come out successfully on the other side.
  16. babell2

babell2 New Member

solution

you can find my go around with the boot mode problem at this link in this forum.
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/mo...oto-wont-start-motorola-flash-mode-24962.html

My phone still works and has all the information that I had on my computer after I re-sync with it. This saved me a $50.00 replacment fee when it bricked. Good luck

I forgot to mention "Its a charging Problem" the phone won't charge a LI-ION battery when it's in boot P mode and it needs a charged battery to flash the phone.
  17. babell2

babell2 New Member

I did some research from the other thread and found that skytaxi found this to fix the problem.
    http://www.cellularaccessory.com/sj0229.html

It is an external charger for the battery only so it can get a full charge. Then you can re-immage the phone with RSD light.
  18. puggurl

puggurl New Member

HERE IS THE ULTIMATE FIX FOR THE BOOTLOADER FLASH MODE ERROR ON MOTO Q!

Don’t bother taking it back to Verizon if you’re on a pre-pay plan (or if you’ve moved your phone to PagePlus. Page Plus uses the Verizon network, but has cheaper rates and doesn’t charge you .99 cents a day.) They will try to do the “* # Power Button” fix, then hand you back the phone and say, “You need a new one”. (There are also supposedly “E Z Power Button” and “Navi-key and power on button” fixes out there, but none of them worked for me. I think when you get into Bootloader it takes more than a hard reset)

My Q bricked on me after I charged it on the computer usb on night. Turned it on the next day, Verizon logo came up slowly, then nothing. I plugged into the car charger, battery icon came on, then the “Bootloader Flash Mode Error) and it asked for the usb to be connected. Of course I tried that immediately, but to no avail. For the past week I have spent hours on every Q forum trying to find the cure. My information comes from many, many other Q-users who submitted posts that I tried. This will hopefully help the next person who gets kicked into Bootloader so that they won’t spend a week frustrated and phoneless. (This information was provided by Babel12 and many others on various forums. I have compiled my findings below)

Here are the facts:

• If your battery has a full charge, you are in good shape. You can plug into Motorola RSD Lite Version 3.2, download a Flash program ( I used one from Rapid share. I found the link on Everything Q.com. It’s a Monster File called VRZ_Q2_C_06.47.021_01.09.00R_MONSTER_01. {for Verizon Users. If you have different carrier, you will have to find a Monster Pack that has their system requirements}. Use the VRZ_Q2 program to flash your phone. If you have updated with ActiveSync, you won’t lose anything but your ringer ID tones. If your info is on a miniSD, you lose nothing.

• If your battery is NOT charged, or it connects to the computer for only a few moments , then the screen goes blank, you have to charge the battery. I found conflicting reports in the forums I read on whether the Q would actually charge in flash mode. IT DOES NOT. (Thank you BABELL2). I left my Q on charge for TWO days (use an AC charger, not the USB—that actually drains the battery more. When the phone is in Bootloader, the program that lets the phone charge will not run. Your phone is in suspended animation). If your battery is not charged and you don’t have access to a friend who has a Q who can charge it for you, or a second fully charged battery, then you are going to have to build your own charger.

Get a 3.7V battery charger (I cannibalized my daughter’s old Verizon charger for her UT Starcom phone.) Cut off the charger connector end, pull out the red and black wires, then peel back the plastic coating until you have a good stretch of bare wire. { I tried taping the ends of the wire to the positive and negative ports on the battery, but couldn’t get a good connection. I finally wrapped the bare wires all the way around the battery and twisted the respective ends to insure a tight connection. (RED is POSITIVE, BLACK is NEGATIVE). Then I used electrical tape to secure the whole thing and plugged in the charger. I let it charge for about an hour.

• I took the Moto battery off of the homemade charger, popped it back in the phone and the “Bootloader “ message came up and stayed on. I got RSD Lite 3.2 up and running, and selected the VRZ_Q2_C_06.47.021_01.09.00R_MONSTER_01 file in the selection box at the top of RSD Lite. Then I plugged the Q into the USB and RSD Lite detected it. I clicked “start” to begin running the Monster Pack. It went through its processes and I could see the Bootloader message change on the screen of the phone and things started happening. Just be patient and wait until you get the final “OK” from RSD Lite.

• Then connect to the Motorola website and get Motorola Software Update. Download and install it (if you haven’t already). Then queue it up and connect your phone when it asks you to. It may ask you to disconnect the phone from the computer, so do what it says. Then it will tell you to reconnect your phone. MSU will download what it needs to for your phone, or tell you your phone is up to date and check back later.

• You will then need to reprogram your phone with your provider. The PagePlus option is dial *22890 and hit “send”. You will get a recording, then your phone should be good again. Be sure to check under Phone Options to make sure your phone number shows up there. If it doesn’t, call your provider and tell them what you did and they can assist you.

• In my reading over the past few days, I found another potential problem that can throw your Q into bootloader mode. If you do not use Exchange ActiveSync, this step by step process may help you avoid the “Screen of Death”. Evidently Microsoft let it leak that the default distribution of WM 5.0 is set to check the exchange server is set to check the exchange server every 10 minutes during peak time, every 4 hours during off-peak times. However, if no server is set up, the phone isn’t smart enough to no do anything, it just tries to connect to nothing (hence the “little PDA” in the upper right hand corner every 10 minutes. You will still experience some of that with WirelessSync if you use it, but it shouldn’t be regular.

Here are the steps:
    (*) Disable WirelessSync (both Push/ReadySync) BEFORE starting this process…
    a. Start ->ActiveSync
    b. Menu-> Add Server Source
    c. Type in some random characters (it doesn’t matter). Push NEXT.
    d. Random characters for USERNAME, PASSWORD, DOMAIN. Push NEXT
    e. Uncheck all boxes (not sure if this is necessary) Push FINISH.
    f. Menu ->Schedule. Modify everything to “Manually”, uncheck both checkboxes. Push DONE.
    g. Menu->Options. Highlight Exchange Server. Menu ->Delete. Push YES.
    h. Home- >Start->System Tools-> Task Manager-> Menu-> Kill all (remove any residual processes)

• On a side note: It’s a good thing to check Task Manager every so often if you change applications a lot. (Ex. Phone, pictures, Media Player, Contacts) Like a computer, sometimes Task Manager DOES NOT close out of the application when you end it. It continues to run. This leads to freeze-ups and stalls. Just go into Home.>Start->System Tools->Task Manager->Menu-> Kill (if it’s a particular application that’s still running) or Kill all ( to end all current applications).

In closing, there is A LOT that Motorola never bothered to put in their user manual, or let users know about. Applications continuing to run in Task Manager will eventually crash your phone, just like your PC. Simple information like what I have provided (courtesy of many other Q users who have learned the hard way) would help avoid a lot of headaches and trips to the Verizon store, but then the best way to control the masses is to keep them “uninformed” and locked out of the devices that they pay to use. I originally had a RAZR 3Vc through Verizon and it irritated me to no end that I couldn’t synch it and transfer files to the computer. After a lot of reading (primarily Mark Venture’s CDMA forums), I was able to seem edit two simple codes and VOILA! The phone synched with Motorola Phone Tools and I could now download and upload pics and music from my computer, create my own ringtones, edit pics…you name it.. I think if a phone has those capabilities, then the service provider has no right to lock the consumer out of those functions.

THANK YOU to everyone who posted their Q successes and failures and especially a BIG Thank you to Babel12 for directing me to her post on how to charge the battery using unconventional methods. If it weren’t for that, I would be buying a new phone right now.
  19. babell2

babell2 New Member

Thanks

Glad to here I could help. Welcome to the empowered world of unbricked Qs:wink:
  20. boomerlazo

boomerlazo New Member