Moto Q9h won't sync anymore

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Raderick, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Ok, let's try this:

1. Connect your device and don't worry about recognition or not
    2. Open device manager and wait or scan until you see the mobile connections under networking
    3. Uninstall ALL of them (any number)
    4. Once you are done, disconnect your device and keep it disconnected
    5. Uninstall WMDC and all variations of the device manager like sync and this and that
    6. When you are done, go to the C:\Windows\Inf and remove winmobil.inf and winmobil.pnf files if they are still there and in safe mode command prompt, delete INFCACHE.1 (it won't let you do it in windows but you can try)
    7. now reboot all fresh and don't open any application preferrably, especially outlook or any other application you are sycing with and install the WMDC latest version that you got
    8. when done, REBOOT first BEFORE you connect your device
    9. when up and running, open the application you want to sync with, like outlook or whatever and then minimize it and connect your device (ALWAYS VIA USB ON THE FIRST PAIRING) and make sure that your WMDC setting is set to allow USB, uncheck the bluetooth option right now, then select automatic and then check the two connection and authentication ones.
    10. let it detect and then you "MIGHT" have to disconnect and reconnect or your might be able to pair right away.

A few notes:
    Make sure your firewall has ActiveSync ports open or allows them, or it wonm't work. Also make sure if you are on a private network 192.168.1.x that you have DHCP enabled because when you connect your device you actually get a network adapter put in your network connections section that tries to get an IP. WMDC uses TCPIP for syncing unlike the ancestor ActiveSync and that will eventually become the only way. This will need an ip and if no DHCP then it will fail. Although it is supposed to fall back on old cable protocol if no ip, sometimes it does not which blows. good luck.
  2. Raderick

Raderick New Member

I would like to know how to get into the safe mode command prompt
  3. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

1. shutdown your computer
    2. after you turn it on and second after the logo shows up, begin pressing F8 button on your keyboard (if you start hearing keyboard beeping sounds, stop pressing you are good to go, just wait)
    3. it will show you a black screen with choices, the third one of which is "Safe Mode Command Prompt", highlight it and hit enter (if you don't see it and see a counter counting down, then press F8 one more time and you'll see it)
    4. don't panic when you see a crap load of stuff scroll up quickly on your screen, its just loading the files
    5. you will get your log on screen, log in as your normally would (if you don't have a login password, this step will skip and you will see #6)
    6. you will see a big giant command prompt screen and nothing else
    7. Type: cd c:\windows\inf :press enter
    8. when you are there just type: del infcache.1
    9. once you see successful, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE
    10. choose reboot on the red button on the buttom right and you proceed as usual

Alternatively to #7 and #8 you can just type one long command as well: del c:\windows\inf\infcache.1 :press enter and get the same effect, up to you.
  4. Raderick

Raderick New Member

I get an access is denied error.
  5. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I am very disappointed to hear that because it is the EXACT error I get. I was syncing fine and everything was well and suddenly out of the blue it was not syncing anymore, I could tell. Then my hell began and my phone became a useless piece of sh** paper weight.

I was genuinely hoping yours was something else and all this effort was intended in good faith to try and resolve it but in the end we are back to square one. I would recommend as the last ditch effort, if you can, reformat your computer and do a clean install and then update it to the latest version and then do a master reset and then try to establish again and you WILL be fine.
  6. brotherbruce

brotherbruce New Member

Q9h sync w/ computer using Vista

Raderick have you as yet got a solution to your sync problems. I have called the Motorola tech service line 1-800-657-7576 and gone through Level 3 tech suport. they were patient and tried many detailed fixes.some of which might help you. I must admit they have not solved my problem yet. i was syncing up until 3 weeks ago. I have a computer running Vista. The level 4 tech support is to call me w/n 48hours. I will email you w/ the results.
  7. cindra

cindra Active Member

I haven't read back through the posts to see the past suggestions, but has anyone tried doing a system restore back to a time when the syncing was known to work? I'm wondering if a Windows update changed WMDC in some way?

...just thinking out loud. :smile:
  8. bige1919

bige1919 New Member

Same thing happened to my phone. I've had my Q9h for about a year. Right about the time the 6.1 rom became available through Meixican my phone stopped syncing through usb, still works via bluetooth.

I spend a lot of time trying to figure it out and it still doesn't work. I've ruled out pretty much everything(computer, usb ports, usb cord, drivers...etc.) The only thing I can think of now is that somehow the microusb pins got damaged somehow on my phone. Although this also doesn't make too much sense to me since it still charges via the microusb port plugged into the wall with no problem.

You might want to try cleaning those with a queue tip and some alcohol or something. I haven't done that yet but its the only thing I can think of at this point.
  9. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Well I have managed to eliminate EVERYTHING with the device, the equipment and the desktop hardware. I know for a fact that its a software issue on the host machine but for the life of me and including MS techs, we can't find where, what setting or what. I KNOW that a reformat will fix it but I can't accept that its the only f***ing solution. SO when I am done with my current work load, I am going to take an image of the current system AS-IS which doesn't sync and then reinstall and setup to syn. Then I am going to mount the two images and do a system compare and see what variables are different, eliminate the irrelevant ones to narrow down to what is the issue and then try it on machines that don't work to see if it fixes it. Who knows I might get credit for the next patch to fix this problem, although MS usually just steals the solution and passes it off as their own, oh well.
  10. bige1919

bige1919 New Member

What do you mean by host machine, the computer you are trying to sync with? I've tried on two laptops and a desktop, they all can't recognize the device but every other usb device still works on them. Makes me think its something with the phone. But my problem may be different than yours, who knows at this point I've pretty much given up. :angry:
  11. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Well you may have other issues in play as well. The hardware works fine on other machines with no problems, hence why it was eliminated as the problem. By host machines yes I mean the machine that is "hosting" your information which the device "your phone" is getting its information to sync and software seems to be the only issue. This has been reproduced on two other machines when updates were applied but no way to know which updates as they are different each time. SO we believe it might be the actual ACT of updating that is breaking something but what, that's the million dollar question no one can answer yet or why.
  12. brotherbruce

brotherbruce New Member

Cindra,
    Thank you for your thots. I think you are probably right on a Windows update messing up WMDC in some way! I have gone through about everything imaginable w/ Motorola Level 3 tech support to try and fix the sync problem.including trying to go back to previous older versions of WMDC, but my computer keeps auto updating to newest versions. I think maybe I should turn off auto updating somehow. I just have not got to that trial yet. Motorola tech support level 4 is supposted to call me, and I will suggest that to them for us to try. I"m about to loose my patient here soon.:angry: Thinking I may ask for my money back on phone. And that too I'm sure will be an ordeal!:frown: Plus I might loose all the info stored on it.
    Brotherbruce
  13. cindra

cindra Active Member

I sure hope it all works out for you! :smile:
  14. Raderick

Raderick New Member

For what it's worth, this issue hasn't been fixed for me yet.
  15. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I am sorry to hear that. The search for the solution is ongoing but with the release of 6.1, M$ is much less motivated to resolve this problem and seems to be simply saying that you can either reinstall to fix it or wait for the next service patch for WMDC 6.1 which I think is complete bull.

In the meantime I was given a HP iPAQ 910c for work since I couldn't afford the downtime with my very expensive, pretty but useless Q. I must say that I find it superior in EVERY way to the Q and I am very conflicted if I want to even go back to my Q or not.
  16. brotherbruce

brotherbruce New Member

Hey Raderick,
    I have a temporary solution for now anyway. My GEEK son-in-law set up a virtual XP machine using some VMware soft ware. When I log onto the virtual machine I can sync my Q9h pone w/ my outlook. It is a little time consuming, but it works. I am debating on weather to drop the issue w/Motorola on not????
    Good luck on your problem.
    Brother Bruce
  17. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Thanks for sharing, unfortunately it has been done before and as you mentioned it is an extremely memory intensive and resource hogging application to run every time you need to sync. Also, even though the vmware environment supports usb direct interactions, it is very very unstable and can easily and often does, go out on you causing corruptions to your device requiring at minimum a full re-sync from scratch. The USB recognition goes through the host and then captured by vmware and if you happen to have anything that steals focus long enough for the vmware not to be in the front (on top) then you will lose the USB capture and the device will register on the host but not the VM. Anyhow, good to know that works for someone else too and thanks for sharing but be aware of the limitations and potential problems. good times. geek on! :geek:
  18. shawneybaby

shawneybaby New Member

Solution for unidentified device to sync with Vista

Just spent 15 minutes with Fido tech support with EXACTLY the same problem and SOLVED it. It was sooo simple:

1. download Windows Mobile Device Center
    2. in your Moto Q9h, go to "Start" then "Settings"
    3. click on "More"
    4. click on "Connections"
    5. click on "USB Device Type"
    6. select "ActiveSync serial"
    7. plug your USB cable into your Q and into your computer
    8. BOOM! Your computer WILL identify it as a Moto Q9h and WILL connect to WMDC.
  19. Capt.Ron

Capt.Ron Member

I'm assuming this only works with Vista??
    I'm having a similar issue with my wife's phone. It will connect but will not sync. I can explore files on the phone but cannot copy or move them to her laptop.
    My phone on the other hand will sync up. I can copy or move files from the phone to my laptop.
    Both are XP machines. Both phones have windows 6.1 on them. Mine is newer and came with it hers is about 1 yr old and I recently updated it. It would sync up right after the update.