Moto Q9h DUN Tethering That Works

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by uwbadgers16, Feb 19, 2009.

1. uwbadgers16

uwbadgers16 New Member

Moto Q9h DUN Tethering That Works

I found a way to finally get the Moto Q9h tethering to work. Follow these steps:

1. Obtain Motorola USB Driver using this link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PESLWU7M
    (if the link doesn't work, let me know)

2. Once downloaded, install the driver to your PC.

3. On your Q go to Start>Settings>Connections>USB Device Type. Change it from ActiveSync Rndis to Modem.

4. Connect your Q to your computer with the USB sync cable. Your computer should recognize your Q as a new device. Either your computer will not say anything and automatically install the driver, or it will ask you if you'd like to search for the driver. If this is the case, select the option that says "Install the software Automatically (Recommended)".

5. Once it says the software has been installed properly, on your PC go to Control Panel>Network Connections. On the left side you should see the option to "Create a new connection". Click that.

6. First select "Connect to the Internet" and click next. Then choose "Set up my connection manually" and click next. Next select "Connect using a dial-up modem" and click next. Then enter in whatever you want your connection to be called (Moto Q for example) then click next. For phone number enter in *99# and click next. In the "User name:" space type WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM. For the "Password:" space type CINGULAR1. Type in CINGULAR1 under "Confirm Password:" as well. Leave the first option checked at the bottom, but not the second. Click next.

7. On the next menu select the "Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop". When you're done, click finish.

8. Finally to test it out, be sure you're phone is connected (with Modem option selected on the Q) with the USB sync cable. Double click on your newly created connection item which should be located on your desktop (Moto Q in our example). Select dial, and after the connection dials the number (*99#), then registers your computer on the network you'll be connected!

enjoy
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Or you can just use the ICS app in the start menu along with active sync which uses the Media Net settings found in start/settings/connections/gprs. Which coincidentally are the same exact settings you have just mentioned. Once you fire up ICS, Windows will automatically install drivers.

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/mo...-tethering-plan-via-usb-on-6-1-att-25148.html

And FYI, if you are going to use the DUN method, you do not need to enter username and password. You can leave them blank.
  3. uwbadgers16

uwbadgers16 New Member

Yeah I kept hearing about that method. Either going to Office Tools>Internet Connection Sharing or inshrui.exe and making a shortcut on your start menu. And neither worked. Both either said "check usb connection" or "waiting for network". All of my settings were correct.
    Also, many other smartphones allow you to change your connection settings around, but on my Q9h (AT&T) the connection settings were locked (set as read only) and I could only modify them by unlocking those settings in the registry.
    So this basically performs the same actions that PDAnet and USB Modem do. However, it's free whereas PDAnet costs $34 and USB Modem is around $20. So if anyone else had the issues I did, this is what worked for me.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Thank you! I've been saying that PDAnet is a waste of money!
    Anyway, I was getting the waiting for network message too. What I found was that Windows did not like having multiple internet connections open. Sometimes it worked, most of the time it did not.

What I did was:
    -before connecting the usb, I first disconnected my pc's internet connection,
    -then connected usb
    -waited for active sync to finish syncing
    -fired up ICS
    -if driver not yet installed, windows will install
    -AS will disconnect and ICS should take over
    -click connect in ICS.

Usb Type: ACTIVESYNC RNDIS.

The above worked for me. But hey, your method works just as well. I was using DUN via BT before I discovered ICS.
  5. uwbadgers16

uwbadgers16 New Member

Well I tried it again. It was strange, in my network connections it said that I had a new connection. However, when I tried to view web pages it wouldn't work. Oh well....
  6. Tyler Lillie

Tyler Lillie New Member

ICS on multiple computers w/ Windows Mobile 6.1 & Q9c

I got PDANet to work on with my laptop using my Verizon Q9c but when I upgraded from WM 6.0 to 6.1, it had proxy problems. I switched to using ICS and it worked well (using ActiveSync 4.5). I soon discovered, however, that trying to connect to a second computer (desktop) gave me the "check usb connection" or "waiting for network" error messages. In all other respects, ActiveSync worked fine (I could access the Explorer function and see/transfer files from the Q to the PC).

I first tried re-installing Windows on my desktop without success. Doing a master reset on the Q solved the problem and allowed me to use ICS on the desktop computer (worth noting is that I hit "cancel" in activesync to avoid synchronizing with Outlook and avoid creating a durable partnership on the PC). I then discovered that I could no longer use ICS on the primary laptop computer.

My experience suggests that the problem is with Windows Mobile and not Windows XP. Googled around and came up with a discussion at http://www.windowsmobiletraining.com/Connection/forums/p/1718/9237.aspx that suggested that WM 6.1 was flawed and allowed ICS with only one computer.

Has anybody on this thread had the same experience? Are there known fixes out there?
  7. gardndj

gardndj New Member

I'm pretty sure the solution to get ICS working in AT&T's 6.1 rom is buried somewhere in the upgrade threads, so I'll post it here.

Open your favorite registry editor (I use Total Commander).
    [FONT=&quot] Navigate to HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings
    In here will be a value named "ForceCellConnection". Delete it.
    You may need to reboot.

Now in ICS, change change Network Connection from ATT ICS to Media Net. You can now connect over usb and bluetooth.

Basically ATT locked down ICS in 6.1 so you would be forced to use there tethering plan. Fortunately, all it takes is a simple reg edit to fix it. If you want to edit connection settings:

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]HKLM\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4...}\Connections
    There will be 2 keys in there. one for ATT ICS and MEdia Net. In those keys there will be a value of ReadOnly. Change the value for these from 1 to 0 and reboot your phone. These connections should now be editable.

Hope this helps.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  8. Noexit

Noexit New Member

Thank you!

That's beautiful, simple and works. Thanks.
  9. tachmedic

tachmedic New Member

does this method allow u 2 get arnd the tether charges that are very rediculious!?
  10. endobrian

endobrian New Member

Yes, it uses your media net.
  11. tachmedic

tachmedic New Member

tethering

my carrier (at&t) said that if i didnt have the tethering pack that i wld be charged an arm an a leg to tether! can they tell by this method?