Moto Q9 Flashing Tutorial

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by minahasa, Aug 14, 2010.

1. minahasa

minahasa New Member

Moto Q9 Flashing Tutorial

First off, this tutorial is based on personal experience flashing my own Moto Q9H, which is a 'Regular' Q9, a non-GPS and non-wifi Q9 commonly found in the Indonesia. I believe that the steps of ROM-flashing would be quite the same with any other Q9's. Be sure to get the right ROM file for your type of Q9, or you might get yourself a partially non-working Q9. This is due to the nature of each ROM, which carry specific files and drivers needed for the Q9 to function, eg: a non-GPS ROM will not have GPS drivers. In this tutorial I'm upgrading a Q9H to WM 6.5 using a cooked ROM.

SAFETY MEASURES: DO NOT FLASH WITHOUT FOLLOWING THESE:
    ~ IT IS ADVISED TO USE WIN XP WHEN FLASHING. USING OTHER VERSION OF WINDOWS REPORTEDLY HAVE SOME ISSUES WITH DRIVER COMPATIBILITIES THAT WILL RESULT IN HALTED FLASHING.
    ~ YOUR Q9 MUST HAVE AT LEAST 80 % BATTERY POWER. CHARGE IT FULLY BEFORE FLASHING TO AVOID BATTERY POWER DRAIN FAILURE WHILE FLASHING.
    ~ REMOVE SIM CARD AND MEMORY CARD.
    ~ IT IS ADVISED TO HAVE NO OTHER USB-RELATED ACTIVITIES ON YOUR COMPUTER DURING FLASHING.
    ~ FLASHING USING LAPTOP/NOTEBOOK IS SAFER THAN USING DESKTOP COMPUTER DUE TO THE NATURE THAT LAPTOP/NOTEBOOK WILL MORE LIKELY HAVE 'BACKUP POWER' FROM BATTERIES, THUS THE RISK OF POWER FAILURE DURING FLASHING IS LESS.

FIRST STEP: GET YOUR GEAR!
    1. You must have a set of software and ROM files to flash. First get these:
    - MS ActiveSync
    - Motorola Handset Drivers
    - RSDLite
    Get it all HERE
    After installing, make sure to reboot your computer, just in case.

2. Get your ROM file. For those using the same Q9H as I, get these files:
    - BASE ROM
    'Base ROM' is a kind of 'generic' ROM. It should be flashed FIRST. It contained a complete set of needed drivers for the Q9s to work. It will create sort of solid 'bedrock', providing a completely working device. In most cases, if you did not flash this ROM first, you will get 'Baker Not Set' error during flashing. IT ADVISED TO ALWAYS FLASH 'BASE ROM' FIRST every time you flash a new ROM of any kind, EVEN IF YOU HAVE FLASHED 'BASE ROM' BEFORE.

- NEW ROM
    This is the 'Upgrade ROM', in this tutorial I use an unofficial/cooked Q9h WM6.5 Built 28004 ROM. Many cooked newer version of Q9 ROM exists today. You can surf the web for it, but many of these can be found on Chinese-based Forum such as THIS. You must first register to gain access to ROM files, which I myself found to be a 'trial-and-error' effort. If language is your problem, then using Google to translate these sites will provide great help. There is also an alternate way to get these newest ROM, which is from an Indonesian forum named 'KASKUS'. This forum (which I also a member) have made an astonishing effort of 'gathering' Chinese-cooked Q9H ROM, as well as other advanced Moto Q9 mods. This forum uses Indonesian language, but at least Indonesian uses the same Latin letters.

Put these downloaded ROM files into a folder, then you are set to continue to next step.

SECOND STEP: FLASH IT ON!
    1. Plug-in your Q9 using micro USB cable. Let Activesync do its job detecting and installing drivers. Try to run RSDlite also, this is the tool we will use to flash the Q9 (and many other Motorola phones), just to make sure you have installed it right.

[​IMG]

2. Turn off your Q9.

3. Enter 'Flash Mode'. Push (*) , (#) and Start button all at once.

4. Run RSDlite.

5. Plug-in your Q9 using micro USB cable. Your computer will detect a few hardware an install their drivers automatically. RSDlite will then show something like this:

[​IMG]

6. On RSDlite click the dotted (...) button. A window will appear where you will choose the ROM file you chooses to flash. Browse to the folder where you previously stored the downloaded ROM file(s). (If this is the first flashing sequel, REMEMBER ALWAYS FLASH 'BASE' ROM FIRST).

[​IMG]

7. Click 'Start' and flashing will begin. This process will take a moment. Please be patient, because it can be quite long (depending on your computer hardware capability). Just sit and relax for a moment.

[​IMG]

WARNING! DO NOT RELEASE USB CABLE CONNECTION WHEN YOU ARE ON THIS STEP OF FLASHING! YOU COULD BRICK YOUR PHONE INSTANTLY.

8. After finished flashing your Q9 will restart. A new installed ROM should be at place. (Now, if this is the BASE ROM you just finish installing, then continue flashing the 'upgrade ROM' you have downloaded earlier using the same flashing method).

That's it. Enjoy your 'new' Q9!
    HAPPY MODDING!
  2. XtorT69

XtorT69 New Member

Does not seem to work for me. Does the first part of the "base ROM" ok but then it RSD like sits no "waiting for re-enumeration" for a few minutes and then says it has failed. Does this all the time.

Thinking of getting a normal Motorola again
  3. rulikurniawan1983

rulikurniawan1983 New Member

thanks atas tutorialnya. klo ada info rom wm 7 kabarin ya om...