Moto Q Website Compatibility Fix

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by jeremyaz, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jeremyaz

jeremyaz New Member

Moto Q Website Compatibility Fix

DISCLAIMER: By Performing this modification you are performing illegal acts such as unlocking your phone, you are also making changes to a very critical part of the windows system & could potentially ruin your Q if not performed exactly like this how-to is written, some registry entries could vary from different service providers ie. qwest, sprint, verizon, etc... By performing this modification your browser may not load other websites that do not recognize these registry entries but I have found 99% of all website work with this mod performed. The author of this How-To will not take any responsibility nor will he be held responsible in the unlikely case that you cause unrepairable damage to your phone.

HOW TO: Access Secured Mobile Banking and many other secured website on internet explorer on the moto q

REQUIRED SOFTWARE: AECONFIG , and PHM registry editor (ATTACHED TO THIS POST)

DESCRIPTION OF FIX: Internet explorer has some settings called USER AGENT these registry keys and values tell websites your trying to access what software and hardware you are trying to use to access their site, most sites don't utilize this information to format the content in which they send to your browser but secure websites like Mobile banking and many others do. Alot of media sites that display video and sound use this also. I have found on my Q that the user agent was telling websites that it is a WINDOWS CE device & that the hardware was a moto q but these are not standardized strings. It's like saying I use windows, well which version of windows? 3.1, 95, 98, NT, XP, Vista 32 or 64 bit. so by just saying windows ce it does not know if your using a pocket pc, a smartphone, or the version of software. this how to will change some user agent registry settings to tell the website you are accessing that it is a smartphone2003 compatible browser & will also tell the website your screen resolution and that your hardware is a smartphone. By performing this modification I was allowed access to about 20 mobile banking sites I was not allowed access to previously.

HOW TO PERFORM MODIFICATION: First install AECONFIG by unzipping the file & following the readme instructions. Once you have completed the unlocking procedure you need to install PHM Registry editor by transferring the Cab file to your Q in the root folder, Then open file explorer on your Q & run the regedit.Stngr_ARM.cab file, it will tell you that the software has a unknown author & ask if you want to allow it, click allow & it will tell you when it has completed install. Now from the start menu run PHM REGISTRY EDITOR
    once it opens navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\5.0\User Agent

Once this is open you should see Post Platform and Template Keys
    Ignore those & hit the Values Button. Now you should see Compatible,
    Default, Desc, Platform, UA-Language, and Version. First you should write
    down all your current registry settings in these values that way in case
    you make a mistake you can go back & fix them. Registry entries are cap
    sensitive so make sure you change them exactly as written in this HOW-TO
    I am going to provide the information that was in my q yours may vary
    depending on service provider. After changing each entry hit done.

Value Names are BLUE Original Entries on my Q are bold black and new entry's are red
    Compatible compatible compatible Default Mozilla/4.0 Qwest:motoq Mozilla/4.0 Desc Default (Windows CE) Default (Windows CE) Platform Windows CE Windows CE UA-Language JavaScript JavaScript Version MSIE 4.01 MSIE 4.01

After you have changed all User Agent entries to match the above settings exit PHM
    registry editor and turn your phone off & then back on & test it,
    Open Internet explorer & type http://www.bofa.mobi in your address bar if it was succesfull you will see a Sign in link, if it was unsuccessfull you will see "Due to security reasons your device is unable to access mobile banking."

If it was unsuccessful go back & check your registry settings you may have made a mistake.

This how-to was written using a Motorola Q phone provided by Qwest Wireless
    Operating system is Windows Mobile 5.0 version 5.1.195 (Build 14960.2.4.0)

This write up was written using information from these support topics
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/motorola-q/unable-to-access-mobile-banking-on-ie-11433.html
    https://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsMobile/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2108437&SiteID=65

Special thanks go out to all the contributors in those topics
    and also Pony99CA for additional information regarding key values
  2. GsRb0i

GsRb0i New Member

has anyone tried this yet???
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Old Hack

This is a very old hack. I posted the User Agent hack in the Hacks thread over seven months ago (and I read about it years ago). Instead of SHOUTING AT US, the OP could have just looked there.

Also, instead of ignoring the Templates key, if he had looked in there, he'd have seen a Same as Windows XP key with the values necessary to spoof desktop Internet Explorer.

Finally, this change will not work for all Web sites. For example, my credit union uses JavaScript links to view account information, but Pocket IE doesn't support those.

It will also prevent you from going to mobile versions of some sites. That may or may not be what you want. If you want the mobile versions of sites, you may have to undo the hack.

Steve
  4. jeremyaz

jeremyaz New Member

I was not intending to shout, I typed this up in word & formatted it when I copy & pasted it to the forums somehow it got messed up. Also btw I followed the user agent hack you referred to & it did not work in my particular case with my bank, I have browsed probably at least a 1,000 sites since I performed this mod & it has granted me access to all of them. And was formatted for the mobile version, it is true that it may affect the display of other websites but for that you can just switch it back, someone with programming experience should write a program with a GUI for switching user agent settings and just make drop down bars with preset profiles and also a tab for creating your own profile, & that program would overwrite the registry entries. & soft reset the phone.

I went through hours & hours of reading every single post on this website & others regarding user agent settings. It wasn't until I 3 wayed Microsoft, and Qwest to find the possible solution & then the microsoft tech posted the setttings for me. & it worked. A large reason why I bought a Moto Q was the convenience of Mobile banking with Bank of america, when I tried to access it, I got the message Due to security reasons your mobile device is unable to access mobile banking. Now after doing what microsoft recommended I get a sign in display. I have not had any issues accessing other sites that I did before the change it is possible tho.
  5. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

.mobi Sites

Yeah, Word is horrible for things like this. It's better to use Notepad, type in the vBcode yourself and preview the post. :wink:

I think I missed something in your original post -- you went to a .mobi site, not the B of A .com site. I didn't catch that and thought you were doing the desktop IE hack. Sorry. :embarassed:

Maybe their .mobi site behaves differently, but then I don't know why it requires changing the User Agent at all.

It looks like you just changed the Default, Desc and Platform values, but I don't think the Platform change is necessary. If you look at the Post Platform key, you'll see that there's a Smartphone; 176x220 value, and that gets appended to the Platform value anyway (although you have to wonder why it says 176x220 when the Q is 320x240 :smile:). (I've found that's one thing the EverythingQ site uses to redirect you to the mobile site.)

I also suspect that the Default change isn't necessary. I wonder if just changing the Desc value would be sufficient for your purposes. I don't use B of A, so if you check it out, let us know.

I use MultiIE on the Pocket PC, and it allows this. Maybe one of the registry tweakers allows this, too.

In any case, what I do is rename the original keys that I changed (for example, to PlatformX) and create a new key with the new value. If I want to switch back, I just rename Platform to PlatformY and PlatformX back to Platform.

That way I don't have to write any of the original values down because they're still in the registry.

Steve
  6. jeremyaz

jeremyaz New Member

This may be true, I will try it, Thanks for the additional info, I just followed the suggestions by that microsoft tech & it did work. I was not aware of the screen size of the Q so that is obviously wrong. I am going to change the everything back to original except the Desc and see if I am still allowed access if I am I will edit the how-to, Thanks.

Ok tried it, changed all values back to original except Desc & it says "For security reasons, your device can't access Mobile Banking" So I Set everything back to original settings and I only removed the portion of the Default Value that said qwest:motoq & I am allowed access But I recall trying that before & it didn't work, after several soft resets it is still working. I will edit the original writeup to reflect the new information.
    Thanks Pony99CA
  7. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Verizon Q Works

I just tried this on my Verizon Q without any User Agent changes and seem to access BofA.mobi just fine (I get the Sign in line). It also works from my iPAQ hx2795 Pocket PC. So I'm guessing the only problem was the modification made by Qwest to your Default value.

The BofA.mobi page just appears to be a 302 redirect to https://www.bankofamerica.com/mobile/. I tried to view the source code of that page to see how browser detection is done, but it's a secure page, so maybe it's not cached (at least on my Pocket PC; on my PC, I don't get the same page as seen below).

Trying to view the site on my desktop in Firefox does not give the Sign in line and does give the security error.

That's strange, because I'd think mobile banking would also be allowed from the desktop (which probably has encryption just as good as any phone).

The upshot is that this change probably isn't necessary for Verizon Q users (and maybe any Q users other than Qwest users).

Steve
  8. jeremyaz

jeremyaz New Member

Very Possible I have called Qwest customer support & told them of the issue & how to fix it.
  9. sulster

sulster Active Member

Reviving this thread to get the answer. I tried the hacs Pony had in the Hacks thread, but couldn't access Bank of America, which is a deal killer for me.

So, is it possible to hack to IE 6.0 on a Verizon Q MOL 3 IE 4.01 and still access Bank of America? What do I do? Is it the steps from the original post?

Sorry--I am inept and couldn't follow the ensuing discussion and would like it spelled out for me. THANKS!! :)