Moto Q vs. Iphone

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Moosanova, May 22, 2009.

1. EQBob

EQBob New Member

yeah...the second time i went there, it was all fine.
  2. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Something else i've noticed....

When my phone goes to power save, the skyfire app closes?? I have to start it again and it starts from scratch and I havev to retype in my site (haven't set any faves yet). Is that normal behavior?

I also keep getting a message that says the network connection (APN) is not providing full connectivity.

Now I jsut got a corrupt install message.

Did you guys install to phone or card? I did card.
  3. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

I haven't had any issues with Skyfire. When my phone goes to standby, Skyfire will disconnect to save power but when I go back to use it, It will reconnect and stay on the page I was just on. I have it installed on my storage card also. That does seem strange. Maybe there's something on the Skyfire support forum about it.
  4. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Well, I uninstalled, and reinstalled to Phone.
    Let phone go to Power save
    Skyfire was still there upon "reactivating" phone.
    Definately different behaviour than 5 min ago when installed to card.
  5. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

That's good to hear. There might have been a little trouble in the beginning, but I think you'll find that Skyfire is revolutionary. I know I was amazed when I first got it. I don't know what I would do without it. I can't go back to other browsers. Pretty much the whole internet on your phone. What a concept! The internet in your pocket. WOW!!!
  6. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I guess I'm not as amazed as you. I already had that with PIE. Now I have it, well, smaller and more desktop like. It's different, sure...but I don't really see where it's a grand improvement for the types of things I do. PIE is much better about sizing, being viewable, etc.
  7. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

You could watch U.S. Open highlights on Skyfire, instead of just looking at the scoreboard. That's pretty cool. You can't do that on PIE.
  8. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I guess. Video on a 2" screen doesn't do much for me. My eyes just aren't that good <G>
  9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

well..i, at least am amazed bob even downloaded and tried skyfire! an app that is known for bridging the browser video void. not surprised though that he complained in the end. skyfire is a sweet addition to the mobile world..the best freebie out there IMO.
  10. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

It took a little talking but it worked eventually. It's funny how this is turning into a Skyfire thread, instead of a Q vs. iPhone thread. I miss debating with people.
  11. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I stated what I noticed instantly as it's potential limitations for my potential uses/applications. If that's the definition of complaining, then yes, I guess I was. Those actions however do not fit the formal definition of "to express resentment or displeasure". (http://www.thefreedictionary.com)

Personally, I thought it was stating some things that I found about an app, just like most every other poster out here does when they first use/discover something. If it'll make you feel better, I could post the neat things that I saw as well.

Color me suprised that you want to read anything I post as negative, instead of understanding what I wrote. not.
  12. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

I used skyfire all week on hulu....i'm warming up to skyfire...still a bit clunky for me, but its growing on me :)

Bob, i have no issue with you. But i believe most comments directed toward most your posts in a negative way, are attributed to the way your post come off to people. A bit arrogant/pretentious (not saying thats your intention, but....). i'm just making my personal observation, and probably should have just kept quiet on this....done.
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

you should go check out the skyfire forums, now that's complaining...

regardless, voicing those limitations or concerns for features that may be added later doesn't do much good here. The developers don't check here, they check the skyfire forums
  14. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Para--I respect your observation and opinion and have no problem with you posting it.

I do argue my positions/opinions passionately, but I think 99% of the time I refrain from personal attacks. I think I've used "idiots" once in my posts, and I've used "theives" once in my posts.

It does irk me that you can post something stating quite clearly that it is your opinion, and others attack on that and tell you that you are wrong. Opinions are just that, not facts and as you know, completely valid for each individual. You (as in the general sense, not you in particular) can work to change my opinion by presenting me with facts and observations and information, but you can't just call me names or say I'm wrong, simply because I diagree with you. That's not intelligent debating and exchange of information, that's 3rd graade school yard playground.

So many forum posters either do not understand this, ignore it, or maybe most likely (?) simply don't care. Their opinions are all that they can see or are willing to recognize. Everyone else is just wrong. I vehemently disagree with that level of self-centeredness. Maybe that's where the pretentious appareance comes in.
  15. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I simply posted what I noticed as limitations or problems with the thought that others maybe have seen similar and know ways to get around them. It worked straight off the bat when I reinstalled to the phone and the shutting down problem went away. Subsequent posts were meant in no different vein than that.

I would assume that because mobile video doens't interest me at this point in time, doesn't mean a) it's a bad browser for others for that purpose or b) that's what I have to use it for to see it's potential.
  16. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Well, thanks so much for the apology. Whew! I feel so much better knowing that I am not an idiot just simply ignorant. Cindra does that cheer you up knowing how ignorant we were for purchasing a far inferior phone?

The iPhone works for me and my needs. I don't care that Safari is the only available browser, I don't care that it doesn't have a memory card slot, I don't care that I can't utilitize bluetooth (hate those devices in my ear). So I am perfectly content with being ignorant as you so eloquently put it.

Your opinions are your opinions, they are not the measure for me or even anyone but you. It fine to post your opinions, it's not fine to assume that everyone who doesn't agree with you or doesn't want the same capabilites that you prefer are ignorant.
  17. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I agree with you, and that's why you're the kind of user we need at the skyfire forums. Having people that will use it differently from the norm will yeild a better end product than a bunch of testers that are using it for the exact same things would
  18. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

I just heard that there are over 50,000 applications for the iPhone. I admit, that's pretty impressive. I saw an app that monitors EKGs. That's pretty cool. Still, even with that many apps, there's still not a browser that supports flash and java. That's a shame.
  19. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

well, until recently the only browser that was even attempting flash and java on any of the major mobile platforms (Windows Mobile Symbian and BBos) was skyfire, so it's not so much a shame it's just par for the course
    and the only thing that I really needed flash for was youtube, and the HTC phones come with in integrated youtube app
  20. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

The iPhone isn't supposed to be "par" though. It's supposed to be a hole in one, or the best phone on the market. It's what Apple and the media want you to believe and I've been constantly saying it's not. That's why it's a shame.