Moto Q vs. Iphone

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Moosanova, May 22, 2009.

1. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

bingo! different people want different things. Thinking someone is an idiot for having a different opinion is well idiotic at best.
  2. cindra

cindra Active Member

What does this mean? ...I might be dense, but I don't get it. :laugh2:
  3. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

First off, I want to apologize if anyone got offended by my earlier post about what iPhone stands for. I didn't literally mean people that bought iPhones are idiots. I meant that people get too caught up in the hype over a phone that has a couple nice features (app store, camera), but overall lacks major features (browser with flash and java support, bluetooth capability with other phones, external memory slot). Ignorance, I guess, is the most appropriate word. It's cool if you like the iPhone and I understand different people look for different things in phones. However, this thread is about comparing the iPhone with the Q, and as I said in an earlier post, I don't think this is like comparing apples wth oranges. Some phones are better than others. That's just the way it is. There aren't many things the iPhone can exclusively do that the Q can't, except for the G-sensor, which is usually used in games, which is one of the nice features that can loosely be tied to the app store. Wi-fi isn't really a problem for me, since I have an unlimited data plan, but I understand that can be a major feature for people that don't have a data plan. If there are any other iPhone exclusive features, let me know. Until then, I will always say that the Q is better than the iPhone. Yes, it is slightly arrogant to believe that, but my arrogance can be backed up with facts. I hope this cleared up some of my earlier remarks and again, I apologize for any misunderstandings.
  4. EQBob

EQBob New Member

curious....what browser on the Q has java and flash support? It's not the built in PIE. I guess Opera has some of those??? but Opera *in*my*opinion* (based on usage on the Saga), is a HORRIBLE browser. IT is horrendous to control. Skyfire isn't really a browser, it's a cache viewer.

So if you're going to do a true comparison, wouldn't you have to do a comparison of Safari and PIE and then look at add-on browsers and compare them? Comparing a built in on the iPhone with an add-on on windows mobile, doesn't seem fair, at least to me.
  5. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

Okay, just tell me this, EQBob. Are there any browsers or cache viewers that support flash and java available for the iPhone on the app store? If not, is there going to be a solution for this, and when?
  6. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I don't know. I don't have an iPhone and couldn't tell you everything that's available in the apps store. I'm also not an iPhone developer or have any insider knowledge into those plans. There are very few people in the world who could answer that question and you know it.

I think you misunderstood the intent of my post. It was not to bash you or anyone else.

I was simply asking a question if the browser comparison of a add-on vs. stock is fair, vs. a comparison of stock vs. stock. Last time I checked, asking questions was still allowed.

I'm an engineer. I like to compare A's to A's. I don't see how comparing A's to B's is "fair"

Please don't go getting all defensive and riled up on me. I have little energy for a debate. Everybody seems to want one for no damn good reason.
  7. txter

txter New Member

its ford vs chevy. mini van vs suv. test drive both phones and pick the one you like best.
    ...simple
  8. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

If you want to compare the browsers that are built in, that's fine. PIE sucks. Always has, always will. However, the solution for that is Skyfire. To me, Safari sucks too. It's not as bad as PIE but that's not saying much. However, there isn't a solution for this, as far as I know. There's nothing on the app store that can fix that. So, there you go. The Q wins again.
  9. EQBob

EQBob New Member

A quick Google on iphone browsers pulled up review articles showing at least 5 alternative browsers. I don't know what the capabilities of everything are, but there certainly appear to be options and certainly appear to be more than 5 based on a cursory review.

Why is skyfire a solution to browsing, since it only pulls cached content from what i know about it? What if I wanted up to date to the minute scores from the (rained out) US Open first round. Can Skyfire do that?
  10. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

yes, it can. it's not so much of a cache viewer. It's more like a VPN, or like MyMobiler in reverse. A Skyfire server is viewing the content and streaming it to your phone in real time.
  11. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Kewl. Good to know. Are they still in beta? I signed up for their beta about 6 eons ago and it took 6 months to get a code. By that time, I wasn't as interested.

I've heard that skyfire allows you to view the "real" site vs. the mobile site. How does that feature work?

Do you have to install anything other than skyfire? Like do I have to install some java thing and some flash thing before I install a skyfire thing?
  12. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

as you stated, with skyfire it's not the phone doing the browsing. The skyfire client opens a connection with a skyfire server. the phone side client directs the server where to browse to, and then the server streams a compressed "image" of the site with full video and audio to your phone. you don't need to install anything else, as the flash and java things are installed on the servers
  13. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Kewl...great info. Thank you! One more question if I may.

Does Skyfire automatically take over as being the default browser or is that an option? I'm weird. I kinda like PIE, certainly way more than Opera (blech!) and don't want to change the default that would come up from clicking on a link in email, etc.
  14. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

yes, you can chose whether to set it as default or not.
  15. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

I did that same search and I believe we got our information from the same source. However, all of these "other" browsers are based on Safari. Apparently, Apple is very strict about third-party browsers on the iPhone. Also, these "other" browsers don't have flash or java support. And to answer your question, yes you can get up-to-the-minute U.S. Open scores on Skyfire. You can even, wait for it, watch highlights of it. Try doing that on Safari or any "other" iPhone browser.
  16. EQBob

EQBob New Member

ok...and one more question. I go to download and it thinks I have an Omnia (I have a Saga). I tell it it's not the right phone and it tells me to check if my phone is compatable. I can't find a list of compatable phones anywhere... know where that is?
  17. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Thank you Paco. I appreciate your help.

I've downloaded and installed it and am playing with it some. I can't get it to go to pgatour.com for some reason.
  18. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

if you are downloading from Skyfire's site, all you should have to do is hit the download now button and it should recognize what kind of device you have, not necessarily the exact name. For example, I have a Windows Mobile non-touchscreen device. That's what it will say when I go to download Skyfire. This browser supports Windows Mobile and Symbian devices. By the way, on a side note, all my Posts are from my Q, courtesy of Skyfire.
  19. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

No trouble with pgatour.com here. Maybe it's your network. But you have Verizon, where that guy with glasses and thousands of people follow you. Try espn.com.
  20. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I did...it recognized me as an Omnia. I installed anyway. It's interesting, I'll say that. It's terribly difficult to read in general, what with taking a desktop version and making it so small. I'm blind as a bat anyhow... This is not an imprvement from a readability standpoint. Also, anything dynamic, like leaderboards seem to lose your zoom level anytime they refresh.

that's just what i've noticed in the first few minutes.