Moto Q vs. Iphone

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Moosanova, May 22, 2009.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i agree...and i am soooo pro jaap!
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You can be my vice Oracle...
  3. bragl123

bragl123 New Member

Thanks TreeFrog for the Link to this thread. I am in the same quandry. I just went to the ATT store to review some things about my Q. I had the funny feeling that the ATT store mgr. was trying to sell me on the Iphone, not for what I was using the Q for, but what I could do with the IPhone(cool aps and plenty of them and the updates will make it "live...forever!, You won't get that with the Q. It's already out of date. It may not even be able to update to the up and coming WM 6.5...". Yeah, all the "free" apps already come on the phone and Yeah, they are pretty useful. Would I need them all, NO. Could I find similar free aps for the Q, I am sure. Would I have to pay for some, probably.

I am not an Ipod user. Why, because it seemed to propriatory with it's music. I am a new Qwerty user, but the IP keyboard is bigger and I can see it better. I like the MicroSD slot on the Q...the IP has none. Wifi would be nice on the Q as the IP has it, but it's not a Q killer. The biggest thing that turns me off on the IP..I just read on ATT that the $30 web fee is manitory on the IP...users cannot elect not to pay it while using the IP. AFAIK, the Q doesn't restrict like that. Yeah, if I got rid of the monthly web access fee, I could still use the callendar/notes/tasks etc with the Q. For me..........telling me the IP is great without telling me I must pay the monthly as long as I use the phone or it becomes a paper-weight is the IP killer. Not to mention...I got a rebate for the Q...counting that rebate...the IP is $100 more. Ehhh!
  4. sax5th

sax5th New Member

bob put up exactly what i would was going to. finally this gets thrown up.
  5. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

As a former Q9c user who jumped ship to the iPhone, my decision to change had nothing to do with which phone was better but rather that I wanted a new toy and Sprint had nothing new coming out anytime soon.

I put off jumping to Apple because everyone seemed to have one and I didn't want to be one of many but the Q didn't work for me as a mp3 player. Don't know what I was doing wrong but quite aggravating when a song would play and then i was being told to turn right or left. For some reason my GPS commands were mixed in with my music. And having my music with me is very important. As a matter of fact, that was the main reason why I went with the iPhone. I had bought myself a ipod Touch for Christmas fell in love and was tired of carrying around the Touch and my Q9c. So now, for me, I have the best of both worlds.

I didn't play any games on my Q cause it seemed like to much trouble to get the game emulator working and such. I play so many more games now on my iPhone and all I have to do is download and go!

I never used my Q9c for business it was strictly a phone for my personal use so while I had added quite a few apps to the Q, I can add so many more to my iPhone via the App store.

So again it still comes back to personal preference. What do you want from your phone and what do you want your phone to do? With all the "Everything" sites alone you're going to find plenty of people passionate about their choice of phones. Their opinions matter to them and perhaps not to others especially if that's not what they want to hear.

Just my 2 cents......
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

So you think I'm an Oracle too? I love this thread!!!
  7. sax5th

sax5th New Member

haha this is a good thread for sure.
  8. gabriellefsu

gabriellefsu New Member

I passionately hate my Motorola Qs! It is a hatred that has developed over time, as both of my Qs have chewed through dozens of batteries and have frequent issues.

I have an iPhone and am so ready to jump ship. Everything about the design and functionality is superior.... But I am locked into Sprint right now and am limping along with the worst and most expensive phones I've ever had.
  9. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

what kind of problems are you having, and what do you mean by chewing through batteries?
  10. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

looking to task on hand.

To be honest, I never wanted an Iphone..or for that matter an Ipod. Call me different, but I always went for the "underdog" in elecronics. When the Ipod first came out it seemed like everyone and their mother was buying one. I instead went out and bought a Zune. When everyone started freaking out about the Blackberry I just shook my head in disgust because I knew it was going to be a big hit and once again everyone would buy one. How this relates to this thread is this: Everyone during that time asked me weither I was getting the Iphone. As soon as my contract ended I told them i had a phone that could do more and cost cheaper and actually have insurance. Thats when i bought the Motorola Q. It seemed to me getting a WM (Windows Mobile) phone seemed alot more user friendly then using a...ill use the term Mac Mobile. I actually learned more about my personal computer and using Windows then I did anywhere else.

I found I could easily use these programs and find these applications (most free) either on here or any other Windows Mobile site. I was also not that into touch devices. The idea somehow seemed extremly flawed to me. I found the Q held more nooks and crannys to look at and explore so much to the point that i would never get bored....and I havent still.

I for one am a huge gamer so the idea of having FF1 on my phone ?! omg I think i made sweet sweet love to my phone that day and passed all the levels in an hour. LMAO

because of my work, I recieve alot of Adobe Reader/Excell/Word emails and documents, and because of the sensitivity of these emails I could save them on my memory card and review them later.

I think you have seen that most (if not all of us) will say that it is user preference, because ultimatly...it is. This is how I look at it. If you are going to do buisness things I would recommend the Q. If you want to LOOK the part of a buisness person and have all the capabilities that an Iphone has, and yet still be able to learn new things I would recommend the Q.

To Chicagonese, if I have offended you in the previous threads that was not my intent. I was trying to extenguish to a flame that could have gotten out of control but thankfully didnt.
  11. gabriellefsu

gabriellefsu New Member

I mean that my Qs, despite infrequent use and now no Internet connectivity (I cancelled it because it was causing even more problems with battery life), deplete batteries quickly, not just from charge to charge but even with the extended 2200mAh battery (which, by the way, makes it extremely bulky and heavy), the batteries completely die within just a few months. I've heard that this is a common problem with Qs but it is so frustrating (and yes, I have installed all the latest updates).

Currently one Q is having major issues with the keys where it isn't even possible to answer the phone. The other Q has the faceplate area peeling off and revealing the electronics. Both are unreliable and crash frequently, and all we use them for is phone calls and texting (no gaming or other 3rd party software).
  12. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I wouldn't say the battery dying is a common problem. I have used both the Q and Q9c over a period of 2 years without having to replace a battery. It's just that people that do have problems tend to be a bit more vocal than those who don't.

the casing of the phone peeling off isn't something that I have heard of before, and both of my Qs spent a good bit of time in harsh conditions (can't get much harsher than a machine gun range) however you can get a new housing for it from www.cnn.cn
    as I said before the issue with the keys not working sounds like there may be a short in the keypad somewhere (happened to me with a previous phone due to moisture in my pocket during a deployment ceremony)
  13. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

To Weapondrift

I don't think you said anything that offended me but I accept your apology. I just want to move on and talk about the Q and iPhone. You bring up some good points about the Q, Weapondrift. There are TONS of free applicatons for the Q on so many different sites. I am also a big gamer, and I heard you were completely nostalgic, to say the least, when you got to play Final Fantasy I on your Q. For me, it was Mortal Kombat. That brought back memories. You also mentioned that the Q is great for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and PDF documents. What's even more awesome is that you can create all those different kind of documents on the Q. Imagine if you're a student and you can actually write a paper on your phone. It would definitely be more user-friendly on the Q-puter than the i-Phony, and I'm not even sure what kind of applications the i-Phony has for documents, if there are any. But the obvious choice to write a paper would be on an actual computer, but I digress. You said it yourself: "The Q has the capabilities that an i-Phone has." Enough said.

To me, the Q-puter vs. iPhony debate is like Beta vs. VHS. Beta was so much better than VHS but VHS got marketed better, so that became the format for 80s and 90s movies. If you want a novelty, get an iPhone. If you want a multi-purpose cell phone, then get a Q.
  14. EQBob

EQBob New Member

ok...so here's my take.

****FOR ME**** (did ya'll get that clarification...?)

***I*** do not think the choice is a Q vs an iPhone. ***I*** would never more buy a Q. The line is dead, the company is going down the toilet, all models except the Napolean are years old, the Napolean is never coming to market, I wouldn't want an engineering sample phone, there will never be any updates to the Q line in terms of software, firmware, etc. That is not the kind of support ***I**** want.

For me, the discussion point of phones goes on features. I am comfortable with Windows Mobile and I wanted a keyboard that I make minimal mistakes on. I do way too much email to be constently correcting items. On the keyboard, ***I*** prefer the Saga vs. the iPhone. I tried many times to use the portrait orientation keyboard on the iPhone and consistently hit the letters next to what I wanted to hit. The spacing for my touch typing was off just a hair. By comparison, the spacing on the Saga for the keyboard worked perfectly for me. I did not have this problem on the landscape orientation of the iphone keyboard (a free add-on), but saw no need to flip the phone everytime I wanted to do an email. It just isn't conveniant.

For me, the discussion is not about novelty who do I have the same phone as the Joneses. I really don't care what they have or the guy in the office next door. I care what works for me.

There are many things I like about the iPhone. I do not consider it a novelty device. I'm not sure approx 45% of all "smart" phone sales in the past year classifies as novelty. The visual voicemail is nice. The arrangement of apps is nice. The screen is gorgeous. The kinetic scrolling touch screen is nice. (I have duplicated many of those features on my Saga with Spb Mobile Shell.)

The battery concerned me. I would like to be able to physically swap out a battery if needed. You can not do that with the iPhone. I may not always be near a plug but I can always be near my spare battery with my Saga.

Apps--I think there are a multitude of apps available for both. I'd go so far as to say that any app that is on WM you can find a comparable app on the iPhone. QuickOffice, the PDF reader, RemoteDesktop from MochaSoft, VNC from MochaSoft, image editing, camera tools, GPS programs, games, zip code finders, spanish lessons, tracking of FedEx shipments, the new Kindle reader for the iphone, etc. They are all there in the App store. On the WM side, there are certainly apps available, but they do suffer from being widely spread out and you have to hunt for companies or individuals making what you want. They're there, don't get me wrong, but finding them is often not as easy.

The iPhone has some enviable hardware. The screen is nice and large and bright and gorgeous. The Saga screen is bright and gorgeous. I'm happy with it's size, but if they made it taller, I'd be loving it as well. The older the Q, the older the hardware.

The iPhone web browser is very nice. I haven't used it extensively and I'm not a fan of Safari on the desktop, but the iPhone has a nice implementation. PIE on WM has limitations. Opera--well, Opera I've not been able to get to work consistently on the Saga. The scrolling just doesn't work well for me, whereas with other apps, like Spb, it works fine. I do not like Opera in it's current implementation.

Support is important to ***me***. There have been arguements made that any support necessary for a Q can be obtained here. That's true, to a point. There's certainly more factual knowledge gained about how to do things with the Q here, than there is in any Motorola FAQ. However, you're not going to find official firmware updates for phones several years old, etc. If that's not important to ***you***, so be it. iPhones certainly have Apple support and the Saga has Samsung support.

Apple has GPS, the Saga will have it, many Q's don't. I'm talking officially supported and legal GPS, not some cooked ROM solution.

Games. I don't do much with games. When I do, I want a game that challenges my mind, not some shoot 'em up thing. I want to have to be finding patterns, determining Sodoku solutions, etc. Astraware has some nice games on the WM side. iPhone app store has many as well.

Speed, coverage area, battery life, apps, screen use, etc...those are all pretty similar. For me it was the keyboard, the battery swap-out, and at least in terms of a Q vs. other WM devices, support.
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You bring up some valid points Bob.

@OP
    I am eligible for an upgrade soon. I am moving on to something that improves on the capabilities of my Q. My top criterias are a large touch screen with a physical keyboad. I want to stick with a WM device so the upcoming Touch Pro 2 tops my list. Although, not a WM device, the Palm Pre has caught my attention as well. Just something to consider aside from the Q or iPhone.
  16. Chicagonese

Chicagonese New Member

To EQBob

AWESOME!!! More perspective is awesome for this topic. This is good stuff.

I will say this about browsers though, EQBob. Safari on the iPhone is too slow for my tastes. Also, there is no Flash or Java support on Safari. As far as I know, the iPhone can only watch Youtube videos through the Youtube application. That's very limited for me, since I watch videos on different sites besides Youtube. Windows Mobile users, on the other hand, have Skyfire, which I consider the most revolutionary browser out there now. Fast loading times, to be able to watch TV episodes on Fancast, hear music on different people's Myspace players on your phone is no doubt, revolutionary. Skyfire is not perfect but it's a BIG step in the right direction.
  17. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Valid points I think. I can't speak to the speed differences. Browsing on either platform has always been "fast enough for ***me***" when I've used it, but I've not done anything extraordinary on it.

Remember tho' that comparing SkyFire to a browser is somewhat apples to oranges. It is not a traditional browser in that you are pulling cached content from them, not the sites. Probably doesn't matter in almost anything, but, it is not a true comparison of browsers. It does provide some additional capabilities and that's a real plus to many people. 6 of 1, 1/2 doz of another perhaps.

I think I've watched maybe a dozen YouTube videos in my life, so that particular usage is very low on my importance list. That, MySpace, Facebook, etc...are not things that I enjoy for ***me***.
  18. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Skyfire compatible phones is also an important factor for me. Though not my default browser and not what I use to browse sites like EQ, I watch full tv episodes on hulu while on the bike or eliptical.
  19. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I prefer to watch the spandex in front of me :tounge:
  20. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

well then you can strategically place your phone right below the line of sight and pretend you're watching hulu so you don't look like a perv. hahaha