Moto Q vs Blackberry Pearl. Which would be best for my needs?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Deadcell34, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Deadcell34

Deadcell34 New Member

Moto Q vs Blackberry Pearl. Which would be best for my needs?

Well, I am not looking for much. I have had my Motorola Razr V3 for almost two years and honestly.... I have hated it ever since the one year mark. It constantly freezes, the center circle is falling apart from constant texting, the screen has either dirt in it or it is somewhat eroding away if thats possible, and the screen display has a bad connection so that the screen constantly turns to a white screen. Ofcourse, all this started almost a year ago and I dont have insurance so i had to suffer for a while.

The good news is, I am about 2 months away from being eligible for a new phone through Verizon.

I am not much into surfing the net on the phone because I am only a college student and dont really see alot of point in paying for the service that I dont need. I just want a smartphone, dont ask why, I just do LOL.

I like the idea of the Moto Q9m being able to be used as an MP3 player and not have to buy from the VCast service to do it (I heard u can drag and drop from your pc). I would guess the Blackberry Pearl also has something like this but I am not quite sure.

One main question I have about the Q is: Can you use Mp3's as ringtones? Either using the "dragged and dropped" files from your pc, or using a program such as Tonethis were you can make your own? If not, thats ok.... as long as the phone has the "Get It Now" feature where you can buy ringtones.

As for size, how big is the Q exactly? I have seen the Moto Q on the internet and it looks pretty wide. I like the size of the Blackberry Pearl because because I like to carry my phone in my pocket.

I have read reviews of both phones so I know most of the answers to other main questions I have but still need reasurrance. Can someone please help me? I want to get the best phone I can possibly get. I am still iffy about getting another Motorola because of all the problems I had with my Razr. But, I have heard that the Blackberrys are some of the best and most reliable phones that you can buy. I just cant decide.
  2. overflowing

overflowing New Member

I was recently debating between these two very phones and I ended up choosing the Moto Q 9m. It wasn't an easy decision but I think it was the right one. When looking online, there seemed to be high praise for the blackberry pearl; people love their blackberries! On the other hand the Q9m often had mediorce reviews.

This is what ultimately swayed me to the Moto Q9m and may be a deciding factor for you. Originally I was all set to get the blackberry pearl. But then I learned the blackberry pearl *requires* a data plan. It's some contractual thing with RIM (the makers of blackberries). I believe the minimum data plan is $29.95/month, and that is on top of whatever voice plan you have. Of course, I love the idea of being able to surf the internet from my phone, but, for me, it's not worth the extra $30 per month. With the Moto Q I don't have a recurring data plan. I am on a pay-as-you-go plan. The pay-as-you-go rate is outrageous at approximately $15/megabyte, but I do my best to never use it. You can completely disable the data usage, but I think that then bars you from using picture text messaging if that's important to you.

Many people wonder why I'd even want a blackberry/smartphone if I don't want the data package, but to me it's very clear. I wanted the PDA-style phone so I could use it to implement the GTD (Getting Things Done) time management methodology. I'm still learning, but it's working satisfactorily for this purpose so far.

The downside of the Q9m, if you eventually decide to get the data plan, is that it is, I believe, $45/month. Hopefully in the future they'll come up with a more reasonable data plan rate. Also the phone, is a little slow to do things, and, so far, I am not impressed with the sound quality of playing mp3 thru a wired headset.

One great thing about the Q9m is the keyboard, it is simply amazing and surely one of the best keyboards you can get for a Verizon cell phone, and I have large hands. Plus you get access to tons of software for the Windows Mobile.

I've never owned the Pearl, but bottom line is I think it may be a better phone, but you have to factor in the data plan cost.
  3. Yes you can use the q9m out of the box and add ringtones. WMP is built in and works great. You can also download the TCPMP to watch videos.

It is a wide phone, but very light and I keep it in my pocket. The keyboard is the best in the business (even better than the BB8830 and especially the Pearl which uses 2 letters per key.) I don't use data at all and still find the device fits my needs as a daily organizer. If you were to do data, its cheaper on a BB than another device. BB data charges are 34.95 a month unlimited for non corporate use. Treo's and Q's are 44.95 a month.
    If you want a solid smartphone that can function as an mp3 player than go with the Q9m. Its also on sale right now for 99.99. If you are to use it as an mp3 player than you need to spend around 10.00 and buy a headset adapter for headphones to plug into the 2.5mm jack.
  4. dcarroll23

dcarroll23 New Member

sprint data plans start at $15.

fyi..sprint has a $15/month plan. some people here have got it for $10. phone cost as low as $99 (I got one at best buy free though on promo last week) with 2 year contract.
  5. Deadcell34

Deadcell34 New Member

Thank you all for your help. As said by someone else above, I had just found out today about the Blackberry's Data plan that costs around $30/month. Thats clearly not worth it to me so that automatically ruled out that phone.

I got to look at an older model Q which, if I am correct, is about the same size as the Q9m. I didnt mind its size because its not a huge phone like the Blackberry World Edition. I figure that if I do buy a Q9m, I will probably buy a holster to go on my belt rather than putting it in my pocket.

I did have an interesting idea though while I was at the store. After seeing both the Peal and the Q in the store, the Verizon rep pulled out a Voyager. I had heard alot about these on the net and had seen them on tv. I like the idea of the touchscreen, it seems really cool. So that caught my attention for a few minutes. But then I asked the rep how reliable the Voyager is and the rep couldn't say. She said they were too new to know anything about them yet. So I am still erie of that situation.

So I am drawn back to the Moto Q9m again. I believe this is the phone for me since its not quite as big as I expected and IT DOES has music ringtone capabilities.

If anyone has any info on the Voyager then please, go ahead and tell me if you know anything because they are neat phones. I am just afraid of bugs they still havent worked out (it is new technology for LG afterall).

More good news! I upgrade sooner than I had expected. I was thinking mid-March but it turns out that I can upgrade on February 21st! Can wait to get rid of this Razr! Thank you again to everyone that has posted and helped me. Have a happy and safe new year! :thumbup:
  6. picked a voyager up for my wife for xmas. gorgeous phone. you can transfer contacts and files using freeware called bitpim. touchscreen is nice. Battery is okay. A new firmware was released for faster browsing and better battery, but its hit or miss. the firmware either kills the phone or it doesn't. Would I get one if I had the chance? No. Too much $$ for not being a smartphone. Calendar is simple to use, but limiting.

upgrade is every 20 months now instead of 22.
    unlimited data on the voyager is 15.00 just like any standard verizon phone.
  7. Deadcell34

Deadcell34 New Member

Thanks Tony for the info. I was curious about the Voyagers.

I have one more question about the Moto Q9m and I think I have made my choice.
    I know someone said above that you can get music ringtones on the Moto Q9m which is a plus for me. But someone on the net said that you cant get music ringtones, or send pic and video messages without a Data Plan. Is this true?

If so then thats crazy. It was a standard feature on the Razr. Why not make Microsoft Office and all that other stuff part of a Data plan?

Thats the only thing that kills me about all of these new phones. You have no idea what you are paying for. For example, the Blackberrys: Verizon says nothing (at least not in bold print) about the Blackberrys costing an extra $30 a month for the Data Plan online. I had to find that out at the store (and ofcourse, someone mentioned it in here too. Thanks).
  8. sending pix using mms does use data, but the charge is minimal, if anything. I think my bill is an extra dollar a month even though I have unlimited messaging. This is considered a business phone so data will always be charged. Using get it now is using pay as you go data. On a regular phone its 1.99 per mb, but with smartphones its .015 per kb. I had a 90.00 bill one month and it was because I was only updating a program.
    If you get the q9m, get the 24.99 10 mb data plan just in case. After a month cancel it.
  9. Deadcell34

Deadcell34 New Member

Thats kinda disappointing. I would have assumed it would be free if you had the unlimited text plan. But oh well, I rarely send pix and video mesages. I dont know if I really would want a data plan. I am a 21 year old college student that is on my parents plan still at the moment. I guess I will just have to be careful about what I do with the phone. I like the way you can make ringtones for this phone though, I read in another thread that you can use Audacity and just drag and drop from your pc so thats a definate plus.

I know I have asked alot of questions but I was curious..... since pics and video messages count as data and do cost extra, what about standard text messages? Do they count as data and cost extra? Or are they free to send (with the verizon unlimited text plan)? I guess this is my main thing that will decide if I get this phone or not. I do alot of standard texting but really cant afford to be charged extra for them because I already have the unlimited-in-texting plan. If standard texts do not cost anything extra (for data usage) then I think I have my phone.

Sorry I have asked so many questions. I loved this phone ever since I first saw it but I knew absolutely nothing about it. Thanks to all of you that posted, I know pretty much all I need to know about this phone to buy it. I just need to know about the standard texting and I think that will be it. Thanks to all of you again.
  10. SMS doesn't use data, but unless you have a txt messaging plan, expect high charges there too. You could always just put a data block on your phone so you can't connect accidently and can't receive mms.
  11. Deadcell34

Deadcell34 New Member

Ok, from what I understand you are saying: just put a data block on my phone, I can still send and recieve standard text messages. I do have the txt message plan on my phone so I guess that should cut the charges for standard messaging I suppose.

I didnt realize how complicated these smartphones are. I assumed they were like regular phones but with more capabilities (in which you have to pay for to use). Its kinda confusing.
  12. Yeppers, you got it now!!!
    Its a great device and battery life is quite good for not having data.
  13. Deadcell34

Deadcell34 New Member

Ok, at least I know it does have standard texting (sms) without any extra fees. I might actually take your advice and possibly sign up for a data plan for just the first month (so I can get what I want when it comes to media and such). This will also give me somewhat of an idea of how much data I can expect to recieve over a months period. If its not much (recieved mms stuff only) then I will just forget the data plan and pay the damage done at the end of the month.

Thanks alot Tony, you have been alot of help. I didnt really understand the difference between sms and mms when i came here so didnt understand what the data plan was for. But you have cleared that up for me, along with many other things about the phone. I really appreciate it.

And to your previous message, I am glad it has good battery life. Thats one thing I am looking for in a phone (thats why I hate my Razr so much, the battery is a disgrace).

I will post again if I have any more questions. Thanks again :)
  14. Glad to help.
    This place is great for that.
    If you do a lot of sms, get extremetxt by birdsoft...It puts messages into conversations. Great app. Also look into some backup software like sprite backup. (I bought the lite version). Trust me, you will need it when you least expect it.
  15. paramedicnate

paramedicnate New Member

I am the only non black berry user at the EMS service I work for. Hands down, I will always pick the WM6 device over the BB device. The only thing I wish my phone did that the BB ones do is get emails instantly (instead of every five minutes).

Aside from being a paramedic, I'm also a college student myself. I use my phone to read notes, watch the little review videos that come on the CD's in the back of the books, listen to music/watch movies on my commute or between classes, stay organized, and handle work away from work.

This phone has led to me no longer being dependent on a laptop. :2cool:

Buy the phone, block the data if your worried about charges, and enjoy the phone.

-Nate
  16. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

seach for pushmail services on this site or if you have vzw use wireless sync
    they will push email to your phone instantly

-Sent from my Q
  17. I don't see the need to get email on your phone. Its just another thing to be tied down to. Whatever happened to not being available?
    If something is so important, they can pick up the phone and call.
  18. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yea i hear ya
    but to each there own...in the busy business world time = money
    so to be accessable when not at a desk is good for business but bad for stress
    also keep in mind alot of people get this phone or any smartphone becuase you can get internet/email...if you didnt want it then there are just regular PDA's

19. I completely agree. I personally didn't use my pda a lot because I didn't like carrying two devices, having contacts in two places, etc. If I was out of the office more, then yeah my tune would be different.
  20. cptbackfire30

cptbackfire30 New Member

voyager user

I have had my voyager since about February, and at first i loved the phone. the touch screen was alot of fun and the capabilities of the phone are amazing. but the inevitable fact about the phone is that it is an LG phone. they are amazing phones for the first few months and then they start to mess up. my screen would start to just fade away, the camera would freeze, and it turns on/off by itself often! but i went to the verizon store and talked a tech guy about it and he said if i would have kept the phone in a case on my belt, the problems may have been prevented, but it wasnt a sure thing so.... hope the info helps you make the right choice. i myslef, am debating between the q9m and the pearl.