Moto Q vs. BB 8830 we

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Bert336, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Bert336

Bert336 New Member

Moto Q vs. BB 8830 we

well...after being on my 4th Q with all sorts of different bugs each..i will more than likely get the option from Alltel to exchange the phone for any other type of phone..the thing is that even though i like the Q i just cant be having to take it to the store ever other week..i ran out of warranty replacements as it is, and i was looking into the fancy Blackberry 8830 that alltel offers..i never owned a berry but i've heard good things about the 8830we...i know this is the Q forum and most of you guys will tell me to stick to the Q (which i really wanted to) but if any of you have had experiences with the 8830 or know about it and would like to shine some light my way i will greatly appreciate it! :wink:
  2. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

We have a couple different smartphone models in our office including the Q and many BB including the 8830. The 8830 is a very reliable unit about the same size as the Q. Actually every BB in our office is more reliable than any SP we've had. The scroll stick is many times better than the Q's dpad. Screens are similar. Q browser is better. Email works differently on a BB and is more similar to IMAP where the headers download and then you load more as you need it. Saves on bandwidth. It doesn't sync outlook mail to the BB via usb. The BB has a separate email account that pulls from the pop/imap accounts you choose or you use forwarders. There are many apps for BB out there too. Some better, some worse than a smartphone. Phone book works better on a BB as you can dial numbers from any field. I like the Q calendar and navigation more than a BB.
    Q is more customizable IMO.
  3. Bert336

Bert336 New Member

cool thanks for the info, i just love the look of the 8830, when i put them side by side with the Q it makes my Q look like an old timer lol.. i just want something reliable/fast/and at the same time fun to use from what i've heard the BB is an awesome phone plus for 10 dollars more i get live GPS navigation =D
  4. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

No camera on the 8830; no infrared, and EVERYTHING goes through the BB server - in case that makes any difference.
  5. larsdennert

Ah yes the camera. IR is worthless. Bt is better. Non vzw 8830s don't have the built in gps disabled. Sprint 8830 plus google equals nav I believe!
  6. theicepelican

theicepelican New Member

what about the battery life on a bb... i know it would vary depending on what you were doing, but how much of a variation is that/how long does the battery last on say light to moderate useage.. email, some web browsing and several calls a day?
  7. larsdennert

I don't use one but two of the others are hand in hand all the time. One has a Q the other the 8830. My impression is the BB is better on power. BB you also get a keyboard that doesn't drop keystrokes and has Qcaps (capitalize by holding longer) functionality built in. Q is way better on multimedia stuff though.
  8. Bert336

Bert336 New Member

yea that IR is worthless cause i've never used it and dont see my self using it in the future.. bluetooth i can get without too.. camera well...phone pics have never been my type of favorite cookie although i might miss my flashlight lol..but ill see if i can get the bb this weekend and try it out for a few days if not just go back to a regular flip phone:embarassed:

edit: oh yea the BB has a light sensitive screen =]
  9. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

If a BB comes out with Camera and Slingbox.. I think I'd be done with WM.
  10. Stealth

Stealth New Member

The dark side draws another victim closer....:tounge:
  11. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

How about call quality? The Q's main use for me is for making calls and it's the best cell phone I've ever had for call quality. Does anyone use these things for making calls anymore?
  12. larsdennert

I think that is heavily dependent on the carrier. Both are equal on vzw for us here in LA.
  13. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

I've been with Verizon for a looong time and I've used various brands and models of phones, the Q is by far the best. I have heard form others that previous BB's do no thave good call quality.
  14. Bert336

Bert336 New Member

ok...well i will be stuck with the Q for a little longer than what i expected/wanted..they gave me a brand new Q instead of sending me refurbished ones..hopefully this one wont bug out on me..plus i wasn't able to upgrade to the BB unless i renew contract of one of my lines and pay $350 with 100 mail in rebate =( ill eventually get it though...its just a matter or time..:embarassed:
  15. larsdennert

A new one might have mol3 which should give the least trouble. Both phone accomplish the same thing in the end, keeping you organized and making calls. :)
  16. Bert336

Bert336 New Member

ok well guys...this is my farewell =/ i went to the black side... ive had it for 2 days so far and i love it. so much faster and smoother in alot of ways the Q wasnt..i still like my q but the bb took my heart :tounge: i passed the Q to my little brother so he or i might still come here to check out the themes and what not. i had fun being here though you guys keep up the awesome work with the site and the helpful people here. c ya! :2cool:
  17. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

Well, another defection here as well, I just received a letter from Verizon advising me that I could upgrade my phone a year early with $100 credit toward another phone. I couldn't resist going with the BB Pearl 8130 since I have to carry a BB for work anyway, this site has been very helpful and I still like the Q just need to consolidate.
  18. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Q = Quality
    BB = Blue Balls

You make the decision!!!

(just kidding btw, to each is there own)
  19. braxtoq

braxtoq New Member

Haha, I have been a strong supporter of the Q and Motorola and hope the Pearl is as good (especially with call quality), I have 30 days to switch back which should be adequate. If not, I'll post that I'm back to the Q! By the way, if my company would allow my Q to receive corporate mail, without having to use Webmail, I woould not consider switching.
  20. Bert336

Bert336 New Member

quality wise my 8830 is alot better than the Q was. and even here at the house, with the Q giving me atmost one signal bar and the BB is giving me about 2-3 bars in the same spot =) bad thing is that i cannot stream online radio or watch online videos =(