Moto Q moving SLOWLY between Screens? HELP

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by sznwds, Jan 1, 2008.

1. sznwds

sznwds New Member

Moto Q moving SLOWLY between Screens? HELP

I just got my Moto Q9m approx 2 weeks ago. The only application I'm using is the Good software so I can access company email. My Q worked great for about a week and now it moves so slowly between screens. Almost a 30 second delay when I try to compose and email, a text, etc. This really the only program that is running on the Q and I've erased my memory. Is this happening to anyone else? Is there any fix for this?
  2. smiller2076

smiller2076 New Member

I've had that issue a couple of times. I just turned the Q off and back on...worked fine for me then.
  3. MWYada

MWYada New Member

I'm totally having this problem, and a power on/off doesn't fix it.

Only a hard-reset fixes it, and I've had to do that about 10 times in the last few months.

Really frustrating.
  4. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

5. MWYada

MWYada New Member

Already tried that. It didn't fix the problem.
  6. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

return the phone, should not have to do master resets like that
  7. MWYada

MWYada New Member

I've already contacted Verizon and gotten a replacement. We'll see if it works... I doubt it will, because so many other people are reporting a similar problem.

(I can no longer return it, but it's still under warranty.)

I REALLY believe this is a bug in WM6 or the mail application, and it's something Verizon or Motorola or Microsoft is going to have to release a patch for.
  8. jespley

jespley New Member

I am also having similar problems. Let me describe my situation exactly so we are on the same page.

Basically, as described my 9Qm gets into a state where it takes 10s of seconds to do anything (type, scroll up on a list, open another program, etc.) The most annoying time is when it does this when it is locked and it takes forever to unlock. When in this state, the only action that I can get it to do quickly is go to the home screen (via the home button).

If I take the battery out (a "hard reset") then the phone goes back to normal until the next incident.

There isn't a clear rhyme or reason to when this happens but it might be associated with leaving Word-to-go or Memo open (i.e. closed with the red button instead of using the exit menu option). I'm trying to watch for patterns but it's not clear. However, the problem did start about a week or so ago and has happened several times since then.

I installed the following 3rd party programs months ago when I first got the phone:
    Callicia BirdieSync
    Google Maps
    Skunkworks FlashVideoBundle
    Skype Software SARL Skype for Smartphone
    TCPMP The Core Pocket Media Player

I uninstalled the following a while ago:
    VITO CopyPaste

I performed the following hacks:
    No camera sound
    No startup sound
    Change the internet home page

I have a wi-fi card but then problem has not happened when the card is in.

I guess one solution is to do a master reset (reboot the phone so it's just as it was when it came out of the box) and reinstall software, contacts, etc. as needed. Obviously, I'd prefer not to do this since it's a pain to reload everything.

Hopefully, together we can figure out what's going on.
  9. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

keep an eye on free space remaining, less available memory space=slower it will run
  10. jespley

jespley New Member

Thanks for the tip but I don't think that that has anything directly to do with this situation. As described, my phone either works fine or it goes really, really slow (e.g. 30 seconds to scroll up one menu option).
  11. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

give the increase cache size hack it may give you a little more peep
  12. MWYada

MWYada New Member

It sounds like the same problem.

I really think we're going to have to escalate somehow with Motorola.
  13. erupert

erupert New Member

Agreed, jesply. I have the EXACT same syptoms and I cannot find the pattern. Definately driving me nuts. Also, complete reset won't help. I did that about 3 weeks ago and the problem is back. I don't have any of the same programs that you do.

I am thinking that it's VZWsync since it's technically a 3rd party app and something that most of us would have in common. Sometimes the "free up RAM" helps, but it's generally releasing about 1200kB. nothing spectacular and I have 30MB free. The SKTools "soft reset" helps, but why should I have to do this 2x/day?

I am getting sick of this phone just for this reason. It always seems to ack up just when I am needing to make a call or look up a contact.
  14. Siraaj

Siraaj New Member

How much memory do you have on the phone left?

siraaj
  15. AzucarNJ

AzucarNJ New Member

Moto Q moving Slowly between screens.

Curious , how is your replacement working?
    Does it experience the same problems as beofore.
    What mail app have you been running?
    My q9m is been working Great so far. Has it for a couple of months now.
    I have Good Messaging. LOVE IT!!!!
  16. AzucarNJ

AzucarNJ New Member

Not happening for me.
    I have a q9m running Good Software fine.
    This has been the same for over 2 months now.

Is the problem happening when you remove Good from the device?
    What version of Good Are you running?

Seems like you are the only person on this thread that has Good Messaging on the device and having this problem. Others here have vzwsync or I believe active sync or haven't specified the mail application if any.

This doesn't seem to be Good Software related but you should check what version of that app you have.

Cheers Mate.
  17. erupert

erupert New Member

Usually, when I can get to that screen, I am using about 36 of 51MB. However, I think that I've discovered the problem - It's VZWsync. Whenever the phone freaks out, when it finally comes back, the first thing htat I hear is the new message alert. I probably get 75-100 emails/day on my phone and am constantly purging them. I switched from "push" to every 20 min. I try to start my day by opening SKTools and doing a soft reset. When the phone is slow (even after killing all tasks leaving 28MB in use), exiting task manager and loading sktools, it might take almost two minutes until I can get to the menu for soft reset. Once I do and and soft reset, it's starts working perfectly again.

The other sign that it's going in the toilet is that I'll be typing an email and all of a sudden the text will stop appearing. The only thing I can do is cancel to save as a draft and reopen the message and continue. It also started flaking out where it would start carrying part of the screen when you hit return.

I've also noticed that when I am having trouble unlocking it (which I use all the time because I keep the phone in my pocket), that the screens aren't updating. ie. - the softkey still says either unlock or cancel, but if I hit it, I am getting the start function and can scroll through the choices even though the top and bottom bar are the same.

Like I said, it can work perfect all day and just like that, go nuts. I am thinking that a poss. trigger is me working with messaging or the web at the same time it's trying to sync email. Or, basically, any time that it's trying to sync and get's interrupted, it crashes.

Other info-
    I have NO hacks, two 3rd party apps - Live Search and Palringo. I rarely use either and Palringo was only added recently and I've had the problem since late Dec and did a hard reset in early Jan.

All I use it for is occasional web access to a couple of mobile sites and my email when travelling. For email, I am just popping two accounts through the vzwsync.
  18. jespley

jespley New Member

I sent an email to Motorola support. We'll see what happens.

As stated in my previous post, I originally thought this had something to do with Word-to-go or even Memo. But I've noticed that I've had the problem occur a couple of times without either having been recently used.

Instead, the only things I found in the task manager (once I patiently let it open) were "Text messaging" and "Contacts". I killed "Text messaging" and the problem did not go away. However, killing "Contacts" did clear the problem up.

I'm almost beginning to suspect faulty hardware.
  19. jespley

jespley New Member

My exchange with Motorola:
    Customer (Jared Espley)02/07/2008 07:22 PM
    My Q9m sometimes gets into a mode where it is very, very slow to respond. When this happens, any operation that requires refreshing the screen takes 20-40 seconds to take place. For example opening a new program, launching the start menu, or even unlocking the phone. The phone gets into this state in an irregular fashion and it is difficult to get it to happen on command. However, it does occur every couple of days.

Doing a reboot or going to the task manager and killing all programs usually temporarily solves the problem.

I have 29MB of device storage free and according to task manager, I usually have about 31MB of RAM used.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jared Espley,

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

We appreciate your request and also we apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced with your product.

Regarding your inquiry, the only reason for the device to work slow is because there is not enough free memory for it to work (less than 8MB). As well, when there are a lot of the applications opened in the back. So, killing the applications, makes the phone to work in a normal way.

If this situation persists, we recommend you to back up all the information you have on the phone and then perform a Master Reset.

We really appreciate your interest in our brand and our products.

If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to write us back or please contact our Mobile Devices Support Center at 1-800-331-6456.
    Our business hours are Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 10 PM CST and Saturday and Sunday from 9 AM to 6 PM CST.
    Thank you for allowing us to be of your assistance.

Thank you for choosing Motorola.

Motorola Email Support Team.
  20. erupert

erupert New Member

Usual, LAME answer. You indicated that you had plenty of RAM but he just sent you the "canned" answer". So lame.

As for my problem, I think that I might be onto something. I have one email account that was configured through vzwsync.com and another that I configured directly on my phone. The one that I configured directly pop's my Anti-Spam service - SpamArrest which is notoriously slow sometimes. I deleted the direct method and added that account to my vzw sync to see if things change. My feeling is that the app isn't written to play well with other tasks and when it get's into a state where it's waiting on the pop server either because of a poor connection or poor response, it delays the response of other apps.

The other reason that I think this is the culprit is that I noticed that when it's not responding, I jank the battery to reset. When it reboots, the first sound that I hear is the new message alert and all of the previously downloaded and deleted emails have been pulled again indicating that the pop3 session was interrupted.

We'll see what happens.