Moto Q dead?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by tdamore, Aug 16, 2006.

1. tdamore

tdamore New Member

Moto Q dead?

Sunday afternoon my Q rebooted itself and it won't get past displaying the Verizon Logo on the screen. Verizon has been promising a replacement phone since Monday but due to their HORRIBLE customer service it still hasn't shipped. The last phone call to them this morning said it was shipping today but who knows.... Anyway, any tips or tricks that any of you know that might get the dead one going temporarily? Thanks in Advance!
  2. Tenny

Tenny New Member

I had this same problem on Saturday, after rebooting too. I had poor luck with VZW on the phone, but in store they were helpful. I bought my phone through Amazon.com though, so the instore couldn't help me. VZW's data server phone # they gave me, wanted to charge me a $50 fee.

Since I bought it through Amazon, I was able to call them, and get another shipped to me. They shipped it on monday, and it arrived yesterday afternoon.

As far as getting it working again, I wasn't able to, but what the in-store tech told me that sometimes when it locks up like that, if you put in a different battery... it could work. He had success a few times with that, so it's worth a shot!
  3. tdamore

tdamore New Member

I tried that when it first happened but it's possible that the battery I used wasn't charged. I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the tip!
  4. Snarl

Snarl New Member

If your phone gets stuck at provider screen it's dead. Usually happens from registry errors or hacks. Only fix is to re-flash the ROM(which u probably can't do), OR get a new phone
  5. BiggaBear

BiggaBear New Member

Q Dead...New One On The Way

My Q is stuck on the Verizon screen. Just got off the phone with Verizon Tech, He told me that he was a Motorola Q expert. he had me press and hold the middle navigation key while powering up the phone. Told me to hold it for 40 seconds. He said that the newer Q's and the update that's coming out in September, will allow this reset to occur without the devastion of a true master reset. (which you cannot do if the phone won't boot, was my comment to him)Well, it did not work on my Q. But, they are sending me out a new Q on Monday, overnight air by FedEx. I should have it Tuesday. They also told me to remove the battery and my 2gig card, and keep all accessories, as I will only be receiving the phone itself. They provide paid shipping back to them for the defective phone, and I have 10 days to complete the transaction, or they charge me full retail price. Pretty standard I thought.

I get more expertise from this site then I do from "The Motorola Q Expert" at Verizon. So thanks to all the people who have posted and replied to the various threads here, sure has helped me.

At least Verizon does now know for sure that there is an update that will be released in September...according to the aformentioned "Expert" Hope this helps anyone else. :whistling
  6. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

Just thought I'd add to this thread.

I got the dreaded no-boot-Verizon-logo-screen issue today.

Tried leaving it without a battery for 20 mins and then booting; tried booting using another battery; tried connecting it to a power source and booting.. nothing resolved the issue, so I called VZW for support.

Of course, there was nothing else left to try, other than the dreaded master reset.

Fortunately, I had performed the firmware upgrade, and the master reset was just a matter of holding the silver "action" button in the center of the d-pad while powering the phone on, until the Master Reset screen came up.

The master reset resolved the non-booting issue, and I was able to restore most of my data/applications/settings from a month-old Sprite backup.

After the customer service rep verified that I was running the proper firmware, he mentioned that pre-firmware-update phones experiencing this issue needed to be exchanged, but also that that the "hanging at Verizon logo" issue was supposed to have been fixed by the firmware update..

Well.. apparently it wasn't.

As far as a possible "cause" is concerned.. the only recent change to the phone was that I installed PDANet, but I can't necessarily blame PDANet for the issue. Once I get the phone setup the way I like it, I'll back it up, and then try installing PDANet again.

Anyway, I figured I'd share my experience here instead of starting a new thread.
  7. arocck

arocck New Member

Same exact thing happen here I didnt have much on my phone yet. But I went the Verizon route they sent me a new phone the next day with no hassle at all they told me it was in the 1 year warrantee I get with buying the phone. As for the master reset by holding the center button thats news to me; good to know. My new phone is working fine had it for about a month now :)
  8. bxbomba

bxbomba New Member

After successfully upgrading the Q software, I tried a Sprite Restore. After restore, I ca nnot get passed the VZ logo. I saw this post, and tried the center button hold while powering up trick, and it worked for me. :)

Thanks!
  9. Philco

Philco New Member

Hello,

My issue is just slightly different (and hopefully different enough to have a solution without having to replace my phone).

When I turn on my phone it gets past the VZW screens but gets stuck on the Windows Mobile blue screen. My phone was in vibrate mode before this problem so it continuously vibrates while on the blue screen and never gets past it.

I had not done the firmware upgrade. I have tried different batteries, turning on while plugged in to the wall, turning it on while connected to my laptop via the USB cable and turning it on while holding the action key. With all methods it still got stuck on the blue screen.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  10. bigleagues

bigleagues New Member

Lock up on WM Screen

Hi! Can you tell me what the your resolution was to this problem ultimately?

Thanks,

John[

quote=Philco;13446]Hello,

My issue is just slightly different (and hopefully different enough to have a solution without having to replace my phone).

When I turn on my phone it gets past the VZW screens but gets stuck on the Windows Mobile blue screen. My phone was in vibrate mode before this problem so it continuously vibrates while on the blue screen and never gets past it.

I had not done the firmware upgrade. I have tried different batteries, turning on while plugged in to the wall, turning it on while connected to my laptop via the USB cable and turning it on while holding the action key. With all methods it still got stuck on the blue screen.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks![/quote]
  11. Philco

Philco New Member

Resolution

Hello,

I ended up taking it to a verizon store. I told them the problem and they acted as if they had seen this problem before and just gave me a new phone. Of course, I had to reinstall my my s/w, etc....
  12. HarryWho

HarryWho New Member

I am stuck with a dead Q too. Plugged it in to the USB on my home machine to charge with the power off. Took it off charge a couple hours later and powered it up. Go through the VZ splash screen then the screen turned white next time I looked at it. Powered down by removing the battery. Inserted the battery and tried a couple more power ups with no success, phone was dead. Looked on this board and saw the reset instructions. Got the phone to power up while holding the center key and it asked for master reset permission. Punched "yes", about 10 seconds in the keyboard lit up and the screen blanked. Dead since then.

Any ideas? This phone was given to me by a relative. I think its less than a year old. Will check if he registered it.

Thanks
  13. zone97

zone97 New Member

Mine did the exact same thing? Any cure for this other than replace? If replace is required. Mine is less than 2 weeks old, should i request a q9m?
  14. HarryWho

HarryWho New Member

Well, I went through the process a couple of times with the reset etc. It turned out that the battery was probably dead. Try plugging the device into the USB port on another computer to charge it. It seems that one of my computers will not do a very good charge via USB, but another one will.

Worth a try before going through the reset and losing all your contact lists etc.

Harry
  15. chi

chi New Member

My Q had the same symtpoms today but I'm on Sprint and just got the Sprint logo before shutting off. Luckily I had a spare battery and a tip from above about sometimes a different battery will work solved the problem.

My Q also went dead last month with different symptoms. But after fumbling around with it I finally got it to respond. Usually happens overnight when I don't charge it. Not sure what causes it but in both cases it wasn't away from the charger long enough to go totally dead.

Glad I have insurance.