Moto Q and Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Willy, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Willy

Willy New Member

Moto Q and Outlook Express

Ok, so I bought this Moto Q. The yahoos at the Verizon Kiosk could not port my contacts (or anything else for that matter) over from my Audiovox CDM-9900. So now I have the option of using the tiny keboard on the Moto or ActiveSync'ing from my PC. :eek:hmy:

I load up ActiveSync 4.0 and get this Great News. "You cannot sync Contacts, Calander, Email, or Tasks unless you have Outlook" Well, I have Outlook Express, same same...not! :(

So now what do I do? I really dread re-doing my contacts a third time (and no I don't need Outlook, I'm just a home user). Is there some way for me to export my contacts to my Q? Unsure

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
  2. rj5620

rj5620 New Member

Not the same

Outlook express is a freebie win windows and is for email. Outlook is part of the office suite and is for contacts calendar etc.

Richard
  3. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

I believe there is already a thread here that solves this issue. If I find it, ill link it back to you.
  4. Ed Weingart

Ed Weingart New Member

Sync with Outlook Express

Hi,
    I just came accress the wire regarding the problem syncing with the Q. I tried everying with Outlook and Outlook Express and nothing worked. But I did find software make by a division (?) of Nokia and it is called "Intellisync Handheld Edition Retail 5.5sp1." I downloaded a trial version and it works great with Outlook Express. You still need to have ActiveSync installed to make it work, but I can not believe how easy it is to operate......
    Ed:smile:
  5. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I always hated the name Outlook Express, it has absolutely nothing do do with or in common with Outlook but MS gave it a similar name to make every one confused.
    Anyway, you can't sync with outlook express using MS Active sync so you will need a third party tool.
    IMHO OE should be deleted from every windows pc in existance, its the worst app I've ever encountered ranking up there with software from AOL.
  6. Ed Weingart

Ed Weingart New Member

You are right

Your are right, I do have Outlook 2002, however ActiveSync requires that I have a recent version of Outlook and it will not let me sync with anything and I am not going to pay for an upgrade. Intellesync solves the problem and will sync and permit downloads to the Q.

7. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Another thing Microsoft started with OL/OE is top posting, where the reply goes on top of the question. I've noticed its spread from mailing lists to forums such as this one as well.
  8. norcatalyst126

norcatalyst126 New Member

I think that is the same problem I'm having. I have Outlook 2002. I'll have to try Intellesync. Thanks!
  9. DrQ

DrQ New Member

If you have Outlook 2002 you need to use version 4.2 of Activesync not the latest 4.5 and then you can sync fine.
  10. Ed Weingart

Ed Weingart New Member

Outlook

Hi,
    Thanks for the response.....This has been a very frustrating experience. I did start with Activesync 4.2 and it would not sync. The "experts" at Alltel told me to upgrade to 4.5 and it did not work either. They then suggested I contact the "experts" at Moto. The level 1 Tech could not help so they had a higher level Tech call me back. His first question was what Outlook do I have and when I told him 2002, he said it would never sync with 2002. He said I could upgrade outlook, but a better way would be to find another sync program which I did and Intelisync works great and it also works with my PDA and it works with Outlook Express. So, I am still confused but I have something that WORKS!
    Thanks again for the response
    Ed

11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Intelisync syncs contacts from pc <-> Q for Outlook Express ?!
  12. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I haven't tried the Activesync 4.2 to Outlook 2002 relationship, but have read on a number of posts on another forum that is does work.

I had started with Outlook 97 and had to buy a copy of Outlook 2003 to use with my Q. I found it on ebay for maybe $35 (about the same as Intelisync) and it registered with MS fine. I like Outlook rather than Outlook Express because I rely on the calander, tasks and notes functions. (I use smartphone notes on the Q)
  13. Ed Weingart

Ed Weingart New Member

Intelisync

Yes Intelisync synce both ways with Outlook Express and The Moto Q. However you do need to have Activesync running at the same time. It works well.

14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i am speechless... without speech, all this time this exists and we did not know, wow.

(wasn't as speechless as i thought :}
  15. Ed Weingart

Ed Weingart New Member

I was too new to this to know it did not exist. The Moto Tech lead me in the right direction and I use the search engine do the rest.

16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

again... wow, a few weeks back we found Jeyo Companion so members that don't have Outlook can at least sync/backup and maintain contacts on the pc. one of my other pc's here at work has Express, i have to try this out sometime next week....
  17. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!
    You don't know how excited I am to finally have a reliable backup for my contacts!! I will have to start using my outlook express as my main email address now that I have this!! It even pushes my email to my Q in the Outlook folder now. :laugh2: I am jumping for joy!!!!!:laugh2:
  18. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Okay, had a night to play around with this intellisync. I set it up to sync whenever it plug my phone onto activesync. It syncs my inbox as well as my contacts. And it is not free nor cheap. I downloaded a 30 day trial after that it is $69.95. About half the price of Outlook. I found another program called Novell Groupwise that has some of the same properties as Outlook. They have 30 day trial as well but didn't feel like waiting to downoad last night (dial-up is soooo slow). I would imagine if I purchase both software programs to do the same that Outlook would do, I will have paid between the 2 what Outook would have cost. Oh well, I have 29 more days to mull it over.
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

so we have discovered a major downfall... the price, i hear quite some folks complaining about 15-20 bucks programs being too expensive so it will be even harder to find somebody that is willing to cough up ~70 dollars to maintain contacts while Jeyo Companion can be bought for ~14 dollars..

but you -TarHeelsRule!- confirm it works..
  20. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Yes, it works, rather nicely too. I had problems with Jeyo Companion not working correctly. This I didn't have to fight with, the steps to set it up and customize it were pretty clear. The other program that I mentioned was to be able to sync my calendar as well. And yes, 70 bucks is alot especially if you don't add alot of contacts regularly. So the jury is still out as to whether I will purchase it. After the initial euphoria wore off of being able to backup my contacts, the reality is do I want to spend that kinda money to do it?