Moto Q 9m Reviews

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by garment69, Aug 22, 2007.

1. troutseth

troutseth Guest

PPCMD --

You make a good point about wanting it all. I am less concerned about a particular peice of functionality as I am about the presentation as a whole. The m version is fine for what it is and I think it is a fine move by Verizon and Moto. However, if the introduction of the c is nothing more than a repackaged m then i believe they have missed a large portion of their audience. This is exspecially true given that the h has some of the memory upgrades as well as the other add-ons that the m/c will have. Listen, the upgrades of the m are very intriguing in terms of being able to integrate a Wifi card, WM6, and Docs to Go; as well as a new shell. However, there are some real opportunities to take control of this space at least in the short term with items like Rev A, GPS, better processors, GSM/CDMA, and memory upgrades. Now I realize we are not going to see it all in one device, but they are falling behind in feature sets.

Ultimately, they will release two new versions of the Q and both exist on the same hardware that we have currently. That will be about 18 months of the same 'guts' which is a lifetime in this space. Do we really think a third new version is on the short term plan? If not how long do we have to wait for the Q to catch up to the Q4 and Q1 08 releases of other phones? All those items exist, in part, in other smart phone or PPC phone releases over the next 4-6 months.
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Carriers & Q 9m

That wouldn't work unless they eliminated the original Q. Verizon is still selling the original Q for $329 and the Q 9m for $349 (two-year contract prices excluding any discounts and rebates). If the Q 9m is an upgrade (which it is, however small), they can't sell it for less (especially that much less) than the original Q.

That's an interesting claim. How can you say that one week after the Q 9m was released? How do you know how successful it will be?

Brighthand just wrote a (sarcastic) carriers know best editorial today. Coincidence, or did you read it? :wink:

Anyway, all this discussion is interesting, but really has nothing to do with reviews of the Q 9m. If there isn't already a thread to discussion Q 9m/Q9c/Q9h comparisons, maybe somebody should start one.

Steve
  3. Eugene

Eugene New Member

They have two identical palm phones, one with and one without camera so I don't see two similar q9's being all that much different. Someone is posting info on hofo that the hardware specs are the same.
  4. garment69

garment69 New Member

I think a previous poster said it best that each person has thier own idea of what the "perfect" smartphone is. For my needs, I could care a less about wifi. And I would say that if the Q9M had sufficient ram I would call it my perfect device. All I really care about is a device with a nice form factor, a2dp support, fast internet, a great keyboard, a good screen, decent battery life and lots of third party apps to play with.

The frustrating thing with the Q9m is that all Verizon/Moto needed to do was upgrade the memory and they would have had a cheering section right here.

My belief is that Verizon didnt want to give a free upgrade to WM6 on the original Q. But they also knew that they couldnt just release a new Q with WM6 and not have an uproar by thier users. So they tweaked the Q and called it a new device complete with WM6. This is one way to do it. The other is to follow the Tmobile way, which is just to let thier users upgrade the Dash to WM6 and then release a true upgrade after that. But one thing Verizon continues to show, they believe they have hands down the best service (true today) and that they will dictate what we users can get. The good news is that At&t/Tmobile/Sprint will eventually catch up coverage wise, and when that happens, Im outa here.
  5. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

While I am not making a claim I am making statements based so far on users experiences. You seem to jump on every detail and use quotes on specific excerpts while ignoring the overall comments. Other readers and reviewers have not given the Q9m a super glowing review so my opinion (and it is just that) is based on what I am reading from users who have been providing feed back and opinions. It will aways come down to what sucks less, Verizon or Sprint for the CDMA variant.

My opinion based on previous use of both carriers.
  6. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Fast internet = wifi to me. I can't justify spending $ / month just for internet when I already pay for internet at home.
  7. troutseth

troutseth Guest

So to bring it back on point, the Q9m (and potentially the c) have a list of improvements. As I and others are judging whether it is worth the upgrade cost lets talk about what we know. I had hoped to wait for the c, but it seems that the reviews of the m will have to be my decision point.

Anyone who has the Q9m please add to my list. It is meant to be a MACRO list, not every bug resolved:

Upgrades of the Verizon/Sprint Q9m Q9c:
    WM 6
    Docs to Go bundled
    SDIO with external WiFi support
    New form factor and keypad
    New Interface (multimedia from Verizon for the m; WM for the c)

Omissions:
    Rev A
    GPS native
    Increase in memory
    Increase in processor
    GSM/CDMA support (seems to be a new trend - Blackjack and BB)

From those who have hands on -- what else is an upgrade or omission for the 9m (and conceivable the c)
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Q Reviews

I've seen several extremely positive user reviews of the Q 9m. The only horrible one I've seen is the Gizmodo review, but that guy seemed intelligence challenged. :wink:

Of course, I haven't read every review, so maybe there are other negative reviews, but I still think it's premature to think it won't (or will, for that matter) sell well.

Steve
  9. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I actually think it will sell fairly well based on a few factors:

1) Verizon customers who want to stay Verizon and are up for a new phone (constant hardware turnover)
    2) A good amount of people who have wanted a Q, and waited for the new version
    3) Marketing . . . the American way
    4) handful of current Q users who want to get WiFi and WM 6
    5) aside from the iPhone . . . it is the newest smartphone in this form factor (I know the iPhone is different but casual observers lump them together) -- they have beat Samsung and HTC to the "next version"

of course the 'c' on the other hand . . . misses the 'buzz' of this one and has little in functional upgrade . . . ok nevermind I digress.
  10. garment69

garment69 New Member

I really need to know if the Q9C is;

a) coming to Verizon
    b) will have the 256 mb of on board memory like the Q9H.

Trying to decide if I should send back my Q9M and wait for the C.
  11. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I asked about it earlier. The bottom line is no one knows for sure but indications are it will be the same guts as the m you have.
  12. garment69

garment69 New Member

That Alltel snipet is what concerns me.
  13. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I hear you . . but we are probably some time away from knowing.
  14. garment69

garment69 New Member

I have 19 days. :laugh2:
  15. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

does anyone know when the q9c is suppose to be released? i've heard late october or early november.... or maybe even december.
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Q9c Discussion

Come on people, discussing the Q9c has nothing to do with Q 9m reviews.

Why not discuss the Q9c in the Future Motorola Q Smartphones forum? In fact, there's a thread about the Q9c there.

Steve
  17. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

18. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Just to confirm, has it been stated that the Q9C supports SDIO WiFi? The only reason I say this is if the Q9c is the CDMA variant of the Q9 Global (aka Q9h) then I was under the impression that did not support WiFi or that it had not been confirmed as of yet. If the Q9c is the Q9 Global with CDMA radios and it supports SDIO WiFi then there is hope for those who want WiFi in their devices.
  19. troutseth

troutseth Guest

There is nothing confirmed on the 'c' as of yet just assumption that it is the same as the m. To Steve's point, we should move the c conversation over to the correct thread.
  20. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Having gone back and reread the Gizmodo review I can say now say it was written by a 3rd grader. I have not found my current Q sluggish at all and I doubt MS or Moto would do something to slow it down on the Q9m (can't say Verizon wouldn't though). So that review is discounted, CNET at least covers more detail.