Moto Q 9m Reviews

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by garment69, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

BlackBerry Killer vs. iPhone Killer

The original Q was claimed to be the BlackBerry killer (people were calling it the RAZRberry). With the new Q 9m being more media-centric, it makes sense (somewhat) to compare it more with the iPhone (but with a lot less built-in storage).

You need to know your history before calling people clueless. :wink:

I also doubt that anybody will claim the 6800 will be an iPhone killer. The iPhone has a look and feel unto itself that very few Windows Mobile phones will match. (The HTC Touch may be the closest comparison.)

Steve
  2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Q 9m Gripes

Regarding threaded SMS, the original Q didn't have it and, as far as I know, it's not part of WM 6. You might try seeing if one of the threaded SMS programs works on the Q 9m, though.

As for turning the EV-DO off, if you're referring to the fact that you still see two arrows, that's an old FAQ. The arrows don't indicate data usage (the little PDA icon on the original Q did that), they just indicate that a connection is available (but possibly dormant). In fact, I don't think there is a separate EV-DO radio; there's only one CDMA radio which handles both voice and data (kind of like having DSL doesn't require two separate phones lines).

Steve

P.S. Please use some paragraphs. :wink: Nonetheless, I'm dropping a Thanks on you for that review.
  3. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I know the history, the look and feel of the Q and Q9 is why I say I don't think anyone could mistake it for an iphone killer, its look and feel are very different.
    The htc6800 is closer since its at least touchscreen
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

The new hardware section of the user reviews section is live. Those of you who have spent sufficient time with the Moto Q 9m and would like to share your review, please visit the Moto Q 9m Review page and select 'Add New Review'.

Thanks to all who share their reviews.
  5. IgotQ

IgotQ New Member

Can I use this for my current black Q or is it only for the Q9m?
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

wifi wont work in the current Q
  7. relaxnow

relaxnow New Member

you go PONY!!! TESTIFY!!!! LOL ; )
  8. mike q9

mike q9 New Member

ive been waiting for the q9h! then i saw the q9m and read plenty of reviews... and im still gonna wait it out.. but i love verizon's service, does anyone know if they will come out with the q9h for verizon?
  9. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Actually I had a similar question. I have been searching and I seem to find conflicting reports. Does anyone have hard information on whether the Q9c will have the same memory as the Q9m or the Q9h? I can't see the Q9m being a viable upgrade to my Q. I would rather not pay a few hundred for multimedia UI and WM6 (ok WiFi too). Add in a memory upgrade and it becomes interesting. I did see that sprint is coming out with the Blackjack CDMA/GSM version http://www.theunwired.net/?item=roadmap-sprint-to-launch-2-new-windows-mobile-smartphones-in-2007
  10. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

CDMA Q9h

I haven't seen many (if any) conflicting reports. The Q9c will be either a commercial version of the Q 9m (with the same hardware) and/or a Sprint version of the Q 9m.

Motorola has put some mystery into the discussion with their "mystery Qs", but if the Q 9m just came out and there's going to be a Q9c later this year, what are the odds of another Q on Verizon?

Steve
  11. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Here is wirefly claims the Q9c is coming for alltel with 256 of built in memory (assume ROM)
    http://www.wirefly.com/catalog/alltel_wireless/motorola/q9c/

This one calls the Q9m and Q9c te same but also states memory of 256 and 96. I know where the Q9m lies but it adds confusion to future drops
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Motorola-Q9c-phone-pa_2339.html

There are about 10 more but they are all the same repackaged leak of specification.

I am struggling with what the Q9c is all about. I understand the approach of corporate versus multimedia, but really the only difference is the packaged UI? That seems idiotic that you would have no functional differences to choose from between the two.
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Motorola Q9c

I agree that would be silly. Maybe it's similar to the Motorola Q Pro (PDF link) -- basically the same hardware with some accessories, Documents To Go and security software added. (The Q 9m already has Documents To Go, of course.)

Steve
  13. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Its a normal practice in the computer industry. You can buy two different hp printers or scanners with a different letter suffix for corporate and consumer and they are the same hardware just a different software and accessory load.
  14. chris

I would be very surprised if the Q9c was nothing more than a software/accessory load. I'd expect improvements across the board (build quality, memory, processor, software). Otherwise, it would be a tough sell. They are going to have differentiate from the Q 9m and the UI cannot be the only change, considering it's easy enough to switch out of the Q 9m "music" interface.

-Chris
  15. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Yeah, my concern (or rather frustration) is in making the Q9c and the Q9m the same phone. I understand that the 9Qm provides some upgrades to the current Q in terms of form factor, WM6 and ability to couple Wifi. To me that is not quite enough to pay a $200 upgrade fee. I suppose that is mainly because I have seen the upgraded memory in the Q9h. Now, if the Q9c is the same as the m, it seems to be an absolute waste of space and marketing. You are giving me two versions of an inferior product (as compared to the h) where the primary difference is in a UI that I can replace. Given that many of us have lived with the Q over a year and would probably pay for something deemed an upgrade in technology it is a bit dissapointing. I have hope that it will be more in line with the h and not the m.

Now you actually have a corporate version that can compete with some of the late year phone releases from other manufactures (new Blackjack on Sprint, Pearl 2, HTC with Rev A), all if which have some hardware upgrade.
  16. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Reading the specs it seems to be a mix and match of the Q9(h GSM) version and the Q9m. Increasing ROM & RAM to match the GSM Q9 but keeping the Q9m connector, and miniSD card. You cannot actually expect the create boutique variants of the Q and contain costs and increase profits. One will invariably cut into the sales (and profits) of the other.

This is why Moto is having issues with market share they cannot get things right the first time. They should have made one Q9 design and put in the GSM or CDMA radios etc as needed then created the "M" and "C" variants based on the end user purchasing.

This would have allowed for cost containment and customer expectations. One other thought is if this turns out to be true then it will kill the sales at Verizon of the Q9m unless the Q9c with better memory is sold via B2B channel only and not in the stores.

Either way its too early to speculate on a totally unknown product until someone gets a pre-release product.
  17. chris

It's an interesting strategy and quite the opposite of Palm, Apple, etc. Start with a high priced flagship device and then offer a lower priced version with less features down the road.

If there is a 9m and 9c, it will no doubt confuse customers. The 9m will most likely cannibalize the yet-to-be released 9c. Then again, perhaps Moto research indicates the 9m is the sweet spot (price, features) for the bulk of the market. This forum in particular is always clamouring for more features (memory, WiFi, etc) vs the average consumer. $99 and I can check email, surf the web, download music.

Same thing is happening on the Palm front. Centro $99. It'll probably do well, but most season Treo vets want a long awaited next generation be-all, end all Treo. Their flagship (ie.best Palm OS product) is the Treo 700p with Palm OS Garnet. Yes, it's safe to say they desperately need to hit a home run with the next Treo.

Sorry to go off track, but it's interesting to compare how companies are handling this new and emerging market.
  18. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I think is important for Motorola and Verizon in particular, to realize that with the addition of smartphones there are two very distinct markets; the super/corp user and the multimedia user. This is not to say that the two don't overlap but they are two different approaches to technology purchase decisions. My experience has been that your heavy super users are more likely to be your swing demographic - most able and most likely to switch for better productivity. So while they do need to focus on competitive marketing campaigns for the everyday multimedia user to compete in the youth demographic, to me the heavy users are your high risk area.

As an example, my little cousin is less likely to switch while in a two year contract due to cost. She uses the Q as a music and web tool. I on the otherhand use it for productivity and to be honest, the cancellation fee is less than one month's bill so switching to me is a real possibility.

All that being said, I am fearful that the heavy user/business user is being forgotten by verizon and to some degree Motorola. The Q is and was great, but I start to research some of the additions on the other phones as compared to something like the Q9c and I wonder what they are doing. Let's look at things they could have/may add that people have been asking for:
    Wifi, GPS, better battery, more memory, better processor, WM6, Rev A. If the c is the same as the m, we get two of those (and even Wifi is still third party).
  19. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Very good points. But Moto & Verizon did not make this a cheap multimedia device, not priced at a list of $569, yes they are selling them OTD for as little as a $10 but thats rare and not everyday customer pricing.

If Moto had made the Q9m the $199 OTD (list $399) multimedia with lower expectations then that is one thing and something they could have done simply by either updating the Q to WM6 (freebie option) or selling this new packaged unit lower. This would have left the corp user ready for a Q9c with the Q9 GMS specs ready for power users etc.

I hear users again and again want WiFi, but they also want super THIN, and light. So I ask where does the battery fit in to this equation? Lithium Ion batteries and the chip sets are not quite yet where they need to be to meet this demand. I have had WifI on my phone and I didn't use it (rumor is Verizon is removing WiFi on the XV6800, how nice).

In the end sell a device that has battery life, memory to handle the needs and a great form factor and your ready. Offer WiFi but make it clear battery life will decrease so don't whine about it or make it SDIO compliant for SDIO WiFi cards.

In the end Verizon could have had a much more successful Q9m if they did screw it up for Moto. Its the carriers demands that are met not ours.
  20. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

:laugh2:I'm not a fan at all of having to give up one feature to allow another one to work (WiFi in the SD card slot). I think Smartphone/Pocket PC should bacically run the same. I loved my Q and I love PPC6800. I will be holding on to it until the HTC Vogue comes out.:laugh2: