Moto Q 9m Reviews

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by garment69, Aug 22, 2007.

1. garment69

garment69 New Member

2. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Gizmodo Review

There's also a scathing review at Gizmodo.

Steve

P.S. Let's try to put links to any reviews in this thread instead of all over the board. :laugh2:
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

WOW...thats one hell of a review...:tounge:
  4. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Dumb Reviewer

It made me wonder if the genius even looked at the manual. How could he not figure out how to get to the symbol input screen?

Steve
  5. garment69

garment69 New Member

truthfully, that review was worthless except for the "lag lag lag" part. if that proves correct the Q9 will be going back to Verizon tomorrow.
  6. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

looked at both reviews...right off the bat I can tell there was some bias in the gizmodo review. I was reassured by the cnet review about all of the new features however. My only concern was mention of sluggishness....i guess they could have put a little more under the hood but you had to trade off something to keep the pricing down. I ordered mine this morning should be here tomorrow.
  7. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Moto Q 9m Reviews

Keeping the various reviews in one place.. :wink:
  8. chris

Good thing all the sites received their Q9m review units... ahem.... well not all the sites.:angry:

Add Crunchgear to the Q9m party. BTW, we'll have an EQ section set up so that actual users can review the Q 9m.

I'm not sure what's worse... the Gizmodo Q9m review or Engadget's undressing of Palm.

-Chris
  9. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Gizmodo is very Apple biased and anything not from Apple gets a bad review. And commenters pointing that out get banned.
  10. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

CrunchGear

They haven't done a review -- yet. That's a just a first look, but a review is supposed to be coming. I hope it will go into more details about the software and Bluetooth profiles some people have wondered about.

Steve

P.S. Thanks for retitling the thread.
  11. relaxnow

relaxnow New Member

Thoughts on the moto qm9

After reading all the reviews, it appears the qm9 is not very exciting.
    No Gsm? No Wi fi? fatter and heavier than the sleek light little moto moto q i have now so unless users here tell me it blows my current Q away. i'm keepin my Q. However I would love to hear feedback as exisiting Q users get their hands on it and find out what its capable of. NOt a fan of the red and black and the limted home screen discussed in the review.

Giz modo says :
    Regarding the GPS question that some of you had, Verizon says that GPS is enabled for navigational use, but I have to tell you that I see no evidence of it when digging through various Windows menus. This could easily be the fault of the oblique operating system, however. As far as Verizon's own VZNavigator goes, there is no Windows Mobile version at this time. So GPS-wise, you're either SOL, or just totally on your own.:embarassed:
  12. igotaq

igotaq New Member

you can use Spectec's miniSDIO card for wi-fi.
  13. Eugene

Eugene New Member

The q9h is the GSM version, the q9m is the CDMA version for us that don't want to have to hunt around for a tower to make a call :)
    wifi is supported with a card.
    there isn't a lot of difference between the q and q9m, wm5 to wm6 and actual wifi support.
  14. clxa38

clxa38 New Member

all these reviews are making me nervous and hesitant about purchasing a q9m.... i hope it's not as sluggish as they say it is. *sigh* i really like the phone tooo....
  15. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

I have equal coverage in my area from AT&T and Verizon so no tower hunting for me. But the q9(h) offers more memory and processor speed and its not junked up with Verizon's attempt at a in house controlled UI like all of their other phones, no thanks.

The reviews are not great so far and thats because Verizon wanted the update but not for free, they wanted GET on the phone but not for free, so enter the q9m which is the same internals as the current Q sad, but very true.

Moto built the Q9(h) with more, much more and in the end myself and others who buy the Q9(h) will be happier.
  16. garment69

garment69 New Member

If I was a stockholder in Verizon I would be concerned. No doubt Verizon is at least a year or two ahead of anybody else in terms of Coverage, both voice and 3g. For that reason, you have to beleive they feel they have the leverage to put out substandard phones that allow them to control what the end user does. While At&t puts out marverlous product after marvelous product their coverage is so poor that many people simply dont have the option to change carriers, myself included. But either Verizon or I am missing something. The US is not getting bigger and Verizon's coverage is close to 100%, meaning the competition will be catching up with them. Its only a matter of when, not if. So if Verizon is now equal with At&t for instance, Im switching. Based on Verizons horrific phone lineup and tendency to cripple thier phones and put crap on them like Vcast and what not, what loyalty do I have?
  17. chris

18. relaxnow

relaxnow New Member

can't charge Q9m off USB cable with battery low ?

I just read the wired review, Thnaks Chris.. What do they mean the Phone can not be charged off of the USB cable when the battery is low ? How the heck do you charge it?

here is the quote
    Having both multimedia and productivity-centered home screens is confusing, but the fact that the phone can’t be charged off of the USB cable when the battery is low is absolutely perplexing. And annoying. The Q9m definitely makes the grade as an entertainment device, but for business we'll probably stick with the Blackberry
  19. chris

This happens with Treos also. When plugged into your computer, the phone will not charge. You need to purchase a sync and charge cable or use an AC adapter. The Moto Q cradle is another solution.
    -Chris
  20. Eugene

Eugene New Member

With an 1100+ mAh battery and a USB port only being spec'ed at 100mA it would take hours to charge so they probably exceeded the USB spec, it would be nice if it knew it was plugged into a real use port, maybe via something on the signal pins, and would slow charge.