Moto Q 9c vs Palm Centro, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by M A V I C, Feb 26, 2008.

1. M A V I C

M A V I C New Member

Moto Q 9c vs Palm Centro, your thoughts?

My original Moto Q was stolen last week. Being less than a year old, I'm not eligible for upgrades. Noticing it's cheaper to pay a $200 early termination fee and get a phone from another carrier, I called Sprint customer retention and they offered a $150 discount.

My wife also needs a new phone, and we're looking at getting two of the same so, for example, we only have to haul around one car charger.

Moto Q 9c
    Pros
    Longer battery life
    Bigger keyboard
    USB connector
    Voice dialing

Cons
    Have to use "The Missing Sync" to sync with OS X
    Screen is lower res
    Is bigger - only comes with extended battery?

Palm Centro
    Pros
    Higher res screen
    Touch screen
    Syncs with OS X without third-party software (though I read reviews that it doesn't work well?)
    Smaller
    No Windows lag

Cons
    non-USB connector
    small keyboard

I have mainly used the phone for texting, email and some basic web browsing (though IE sucks for that in WM5.) I also use the calender. I am a web developer (even develop mobile solutions) and I've found that WM is too dumbed down for me to get excited about it. It's half-baked at best. At least the Palm OS doesn't pretend to be something it's not and it seems more to be a more concise solution.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I didn't really notice the battery too much when I switched to the Q9c, it falls really well into the natural position of your hand (or something like that). That being said I also have the standard battery with a verizon branded slim door ( my phone has MPD) you can get those from ebay, just look for the seller named monster mart.
    As far as half baked browsers, there may be a decent solution ( don't know yet I'm waiting to be invited to the beta) called skyfire (there are a few threads on that)
    All in all it's a good phone, but you have to go with your personal preference.
  3. M A V I C

M A V I C New Member

Now I also find myself considering the BlackBerry 8703e.
  4. mrsneaky

mrsneaky New Member

q9c kicks the centros butt...i had both...i like q9c way better..plus u can do alot of stuff with the gps and use it for free with google maps...and live search...the aim messenger is better on the q9c before on the centro i could only see people with phone aim screen names which was gay...with q9c aim i can see all my buddies...my battery last longer....also u can add alot of more programms with windows mobile 6.0 more then centro...
  5. Prolab

Prolab New Member

Now there is. But, Palm still has a lot of 3rd party applications in compared to WM.

I never had a centro, but i still have my T680. Either phone is capable of what your gonna ask it to do. I find my T680 is faster and more intuitive per se (switching programs, opening tasks, programs, etc.) rather than my Moto Q9H and TyTN II. Although, those things can be improved by custom ROMs.

It's better for you and your wife to try both devices and see what fits your need.

Good luck.
  6. I held a centro....I loved my 650 for its speed, but it crashed constantly. The centro has a really small and cramped keyboard. The 9 series from moto has the best keyboard of any smartphone I have used.
  7. bubbatex

bubbatex New Member

And you think WM is "too dumbed down"? Wait until you play with BB!

The Q9c has the best keyboard of'em all, IMO, if that matters to you. Otherwise it is up to which OS you want to play with.
  8. mrsneaky

mrsneaky New Member

Yea the rubberize keyboard on the Q9c is money....way better then centro and more room to type.
  9. whittw

whittw New Member

Isnt that the truth.. :laugh2:
  10. dangtong

dangtong New Member

Hey, you won't find the fair comparision answer for your question here. you're asking the question in a die hard motorola user forum. Everybody here, off course that is including myself, :smile:, will say the Q9c is better than the Palm Centro.

Hardware wise, I'd say the Q9c is better than the Palm Centro. for these reasons:

- Better battery life
    - Built-in GPS
    - Better and more natural feel in the hand (average size hands)
    - Better keyboard

Software wise, it's the personal preference. I've used them all, WM, Palm OS, Blackberry, Symbian and also Apple iphone OS. I came back to Windows Mobile. (well, I like the iphone OS, but it's missing the voice dialling feature that I use 90% of the time, it's the big deal for me)

I had numbers of touchscreen phones, I came back to WM smartphone for one big reason: ONE HAND OPERATION friendly.

Love my Q9c, one of the best and most stable phone I've used. Highly recommend the Q9c to everyone (want to remind you that you are on Motorola Q forum site. :2cool:)
  11. chardog

chardog New Member

I'm waiting to switch over and try another phone. Definitely dont like windows mobile. Good phone, bad OS
  12. First post and no reason why?
    What is so bad about wm? Palm is good, but the treo is outdated, as is its os.
  13. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Palms OS looks about the same as it did on the treo that I sold at radio shack 5 years ago ( forgive me, I don't remember the model number but it was the one with the folding plexiglass cover for the screen with the earpiece on the fold)
  14. chardog

chardog New Member

I read good things about this phone in december, so I got it;

I find out that gmail wont work properly with it, I cant figure out picture mail, and no threaded sms.

To make matters worse, I notice that occasionally my cpu useage will stay at 100% for no reason. It drains the battery faster than normal. Also internet explorer totally blows; Opera works good, but I dont know how to configure it to have the same compatibility as IE.

Truthfully, if this phone could do threaded sms + picturemail, it would be OK.

I could live with the email client and work around, but lack of features makes it annoying. I had to master reboot once and lost all settings.
  15. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Gmail works great if you take two minutes to tweak it.
    There is no picture mail (Sprint issue), but there are workarounds.
    Threaded SMS can be had with a third party program (Extreme Text).
    Yes, PIE sucks, but it's not not to difficult to configure Opera Mini to handle all of your typical browsing.
    Battery life shouldn't be an issue if you charge it regularly (just plug it in before you go to sleep).

The Q9c really is a great phone if you can put a little effort into it, but like the Mods say, the Q isn't for everyone . . .
  16. Treo 270 was the first color one like that.
    The model before that was monochrome and had the option of keyboard or grafitti (sp?)