Moto Q 9c GPS: Real?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by Rockstar1, May 12, 2008.

1. Rockstar1

Rockstar1 New Member

Moto Q 9c GPS: Real?

The new moto Q 9c; is supposed to have gps; but do you have to order vz navigator for it to work?

Google maps seems not to recognize it at all.... gps is turned on and everything is ready....

another $10 to my phone bill would even it out to $200 but I want to make sure it's the last course of action....

Any other software out there that can harness the gps? I want to be able to click a button and know where my location is at that moment....
  2. dcarroll23

dcarroll23 New Member

you can use google maps, livesearch (microsoft) or even yahoo to go with built in gps in motoq. no charge. possibly you need to just turn it on/off. you do need internet connection to use. THE MY LOCATION BUTTON in google maps does not work with the q..you have to use USE GPS setting.

i use google maps all the time. in google mapps app, menu-->use gps. .
    in google maps settings mine is set by windows. (via start--->settings.)

in moto q settings, (from start menu)---settings--->phone settings--->gps ON/OFF

hope this helps.
  3. Rockstar1

Rockstar1 New Member

Livesearch GPS?

Ok; finally gps works after I did a master reset; but only on vz navigator. What port do I set it for livesearch? Com (0) or which? Google also asks what com port; they both say 0 through 9 and livesearch has one more: GPS Intermediate Driver...... aaaaarrrrrrgghhhhhh...

4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i want to say COM 1 or COM 4 for google
  5. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

for google, all I did (Granted mine is Sprint) was check Set by windows (under GPS settings. and for WLS it's set to GPS intrtermediate driver
  6. Rockstar1

Rockstar1 New Member

Gps...

Well google did not work with neither the com ports or use windows settings; and livesearch did not work with the intermediate driver; soooo... for now; I'm going to leave the benefit of the doubt because the skies are cloudy and im in a building... I have 3 bars though; so that's misleading....and the vz navigator did triangulate my location like 2 blocks away...lol. I'll try some other time and outside on a sunny day...

Does anyone know though; what bluetooth gps is out there that is small; and great for the q; and is more reliable for any weather?
  7. dcarroll23

dcarroll23 New Member

hmm.
    1. do you have most recent version of google maps.

2. the only setting i have (sprint/most recent google maps) is one checkmark under 'set by windows (via start ->settings)

3. under settings ---> phone settings (not just phone)--->GPS Settings (2nd screen) i have pretty much defaults that came with phone, that is, always on, time between fixes 2, performance 16, accuracy 256.

pretty much worked out of the box for me i believe.

under windows livesearch, using gps intermediate driver. cache to storage card. sometimes takes a 20-30 seconds, but does find me.

do use google more,
  8. LordBravery

LordBravery New Member

What a tech told me

I have the same problem. I called Verizon to see if they could help me, they could not. I directly asked the tech does Verizon lock the GPS function. He told me yes they lock the GPS from using any third party software. Only VZ Navigator So the only way to make GPS work on the new Q is buy a blue tooth GPS or hack it. But no one has found a way to hack it yet.
    So in other words Verizon wants to charge you 10 buck to know where you are.