More RAM?

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by webcrush, Oct 12, 2007.

1. webcrush

webcrush New Member

More RAM?

Anyone know a way to reduce the memory footprint of default apps being run.

Even with nothing running but minimal WM5 background apps, I still only have 23MB free.

Anyway to improve this?

Would be cool if we could use SD free space as 'swap'.

:D
  2. codester3388

codester3388 New Member

It would be cool to use the SD card as RAM but since the phone constantly uses it then it would shorten the life of the SD card as well since flash memory has only so many write cycles on it. I have a PC in my car that I use and I load Windows XP from a CF card. It is a read only card because XP constantly makes changes when you adjust something so it would of wiped my card out in about a month. I had to install this EWF (enhanced write filter) to use XP on the card so it wouldn't write to the card.
  3. webcrush

webcrush New Member

SD mem is cheap, write all you want, we'll buy more :D
  4. ArcherIV

ArcherIV New Member

I've read on Wikipedia that the life of the memory card being written at full speed would be 51 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory
  5. codester3388

codester3388 New Member

Sure a camera or long term file storage would never make it run out of write cycles but when you use it as a partition with Windows XP or as RAM then whatever system it is on writes to it constantly. I have a buddy that also has a car pc and he didn't use the EWF filter which made his CF card die within 7 months. It would give an error and he found out through SanDisk that it is a bad idea to use it in that manner as it would fail quickly. The CF cards we used has like a 1 million write/erase cycle spec which is a lot but when I am driving and changing the volume on the PC (which writes the change in windows) then it will start adding up. I constantly erase songs, add songs, use navigation, etc. When you use flash memory in such a manner that it is constantly being used and not for how we use it then it will fail. RAM has to have power applied to it in order for it to store anything while flash memory doesn't. It is meant for long term storage and not short term like RAM is for.
  6. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I built one of those. Gave up on XP it just wasn't stable enough, I went and installed a very minimal install of Linux and just leave the CF mounted as read only. I made links to a small ram drive for anything that does need to write.

I registered on motodev web site and downloaded everything I could but can't find much hardware information. I was going to see how the CPU addresses ram and see if I could do one of the old piggyback the chip hacks.
  7. codester3388

codester3388 New Member

Good to see another one. lol. I use the remote control BT feature on the Q for the car. It works really well. I got my boot time of XP down to 14 seconds. And my resume from hibernate time is like 3-4 seconds. And since the OS doesn't write to itself because of the EWF filter its nice to just give it a hard shut down since nothing is written to get corrupted.
  8. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Back when I was trying it, pre SP1 for XP the filter didn't completly work. I even had a microsoft support case and the engineer admitted that some problems snuch into XPembeded from w2k embedded. I was just about finished with windows at that point anyway after trying to make my brand new xp laptop behave and so dual booted it and setup my mp3 player box and never looked back.
  9. Jsmith58

Jsmith58 New Member

write cycles and PCs aside...

Can a SD card be used for RAM on the Q?
  10. codester3388

codester3388 New Member

No it can not because of my 2nd post in this thread plus the SD card isn't fast enough to use it as RAM since RAM has a direct pipeline to the CPU.
  11. Jsmith58

Jsmith58 New Member

Thanks for your patience. My follow up is, how can I free up RAM memory? Aside from killing tasks, can I move anything stored permanently in RAM to a mini-SD card to improve performance? Lastly, how can I identify those files that are being permanently stored in RAM.

Sorry if these are n00b questions. Thanks.
  12. BIGD

BIGD New Member

yeah ya'll how can he do that ( me to ) :) ??????????
  13. codester3388

codester3388 New Member

Don't know that one as I am a newbie too when it comes to smartphones. I knew about this subject because of my car PC experiences.
  14. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I'm finding my Q runs fine with anywhere between 12 and 23 MB of RAM available. I just did a master reset and clean reinstall of all the programs I plan on keeping. I had done a Sprint MOL 3 & 4 upgrade restoring with Sprite. After resetting and reinstalling about 42 3rd party programs (most on the SD) I have 23 mb of ram available upon booting my Q. Whereas before it was 18mb. It also feels a little quicker as I'm sure there was some clutter that accumulated over 5 months. As only a few 3rd party programs are on the Q, I have 31mb free storage space on the Q's memory.

I don't think any of the RAM is used for storage per se. The OS and background processes are what take up RAM and I don't know any way of having them run off the SD nor would I as then that would make the Q slower rather than faster and would use more power running of the SD.

As for speed I keep Agenda One, Qcaps, Qtask, Facade, InBoxExtender, QuickLauncher and PDNet on my Q. Mostly because I'm in and out of these apps all the time. It might not matter with Qcaps or Qtasks as their process kernels are probably up all the time, but it's what I do.

As I've said too many times before, "I've got my Q just where I want it", but this time it's TRUE.
  15. webcrush

webcrush New Member

I've found myself killing certain apps from the start menu, like PDAnet to try to scrape every last bit possible. I have about the same free memory as you, depending if I let PhotoContacts keep running, anywhere from 18-23MB.

Reason I want more is that Route 66 eats up 16MB alone, and when trying to play music in the background, it often runs out of RAM and starting killing apps.
  16. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Well good luck...16mb is a big chunk...no other suggestion other than "turn on the radio" ;-)
  17. webcrush

webcrush New Member

Normally, I 'would', but when in the car I have the audio output piped through my car stereo via bluetooth, which is very helpful when using the GPS to hear the 'commands'.
  18. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Cool definitely cutting edge.