More dumb questions from a newbie to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Ben Walker, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

I have an HTC Pro 7.
    When I go into Marketplace or setting or some other place, is it normal that I can see the beginning of the next screen just peeping out on the right hand side? I can't work out if it's a design feature or a fault with my phone. I'm thinking it looks a little untidy but it might be a way of showing that there's another page to swish onto. Does everyone else get this?
    Another question. Does the screen only auto rotate on certain pages? for instance, it doesn't seem to want to go landscape when I look up contact details and whatnot, but it does auto rotate when I click on settings. I like to use the phone in landscape almost all the time. Is there a way of making the screen do that. Does the tile screen auto rotate?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yes. That it is by Metro UI design. It's a way of telling you that there is more in the next screen.
    No. Landscape does not work on some pages, like the start screen and contact details.
  3. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

Thanks ninjaap. That's put my mind at rest. very helpful. Much appreciated.
  4. mmbond

mmbond New Member

Welcome to WP7 Ben! Breathe, appreciate the beauty that is Metro and enjoy the ride...
  5. RobR

RobR Member

Based on that comment it seems to me that Microsoft were successful in their design.
  6. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

Yes it looks a little wrong but I guess it works.
    Function over form. Don't mind that.
    Now then.
    Next dumb question.
    How on earth do I send a contact's details to someone else?
    For the life of me I can't fathom it.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You can't. That annoys men too.

Here is a sticky to a running lists of confirmed features coming with Mango for your enjoyment:
    http://www.everythingwm.com/forum/threads/windows-phone-7-5-mango-full-feature-list.37799/
  8. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

Thanks Ninjaap. Very helpful. I would have been staring for ages driving myself mad trying to find how to do it.
    Wow, that seems like a massie oversight, no? I hope they sort that in Mango.
    I was going to ask how to activate voice guided navigation but I think you just answered it with the list. It isn't here yet, right? I have to say I had a massie fail on maps today. I asked it to find me a Barclay bank near work and it took me to a place a mile away which wasn't a Barclays bank at all but a huge sorting office for the royal mail. Then when I got back to work I found out there was a barclays bank 50 yards away in the opposite direction.
    There are a lot of things I like about my new phone and the platform but I have to say so far the functionality isn't up to the standard of the one I just left behind. Maps and apps definitely not. But I'm hoping that will change.
    Another dumb question (I told you I'd have loads!).
    How do I bookmark a site when I go onto my browser.
    I can't see any options for bookmarking or having favourite sites.
    Can I pin them to the front screen or something? Or do I have to type in the site each and every time I go online?
    Thanks for your continued help.
    I'm getting there!
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

As far as searching for banks, I find that not every single bank is listed even for a more advanced map like Google maps. Even searching for a BofA or Wells Fargo, both huge corporations, are not all listed in maps. I don't know why this is.

To bookmark a site you simply tap on the "star with the +" icon, at the bottom left of the browser. It will take you to a screen that says ADD FAVORITE at the top.

To pin a site, you tap "..." (elipses) at the bottom right corner of the browser to reveal more menu items. You will find a "pin to start" option.

And you're welcome. Glad to have you on the site :)
    chris likes this.
  10. Ben Walker

Ben Walker Member

Nice one ninjaap. Thanks. Much appreciated.