More bad luck with new q9c: Stuck at Motorola screen

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by jhoff80, Apr 5, 2008.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

More bad luck with new q9c: Stuck at Motorola screen

Sorry that this is long, most relevant recent part is at the bottom:

I've switched over from a Palm Treo, and while I really want to like it (and do when its working), I'm not really having the best of luck with the q9c. I bought a q9c brand new on ebay because it was cheaper to do it that way without extending my contract, and it arrived two weeks later without a clean ESN as promised. I send it back to the seller and a week later (yesterday) got a replacement, also new.

First issue with the replacement was that the battery door needed a lot more force to be put on than the original, so I probably should have taken that as a sign. I went along, installing all of my software that I had wanted, and as I'm installing the last program (Smart Toolkit) I start having issues where pressing either soft button freezes things. Figuring the problem is Smart Toolkit, I master reset and go through everything without installing Smart Toolkit. Again, I get the same issue.

After this point I decide either its my custom homescreen, or its WM not liking my 2 IMAP mailboxes, with about 250 messages total, so I use the Sprint homescreen and set Outlook mobile to only download 3 days worth of emails.
    Everything appeared to be stable now, with all of my programs (except Fizz, Facade, and Orange, and Smart Toolkit) installed. At one point the phone was loading a program, and got stuck with the spinning icon, and I got impatient, so I pulled the battery.

Of course, this managed to corrupt the registry, losing all of my settings. At this point it was midnight last night, so I just master reset and leave the rest for today.

Today, I repeat the same steps, but install Sprite Backup as well, figuring that way if my registry gets corrupted, I'll have a backup that includes all of my settings. Everything worked fine all day long, and then about half an hour ago, I quit out of a program accidentally and went to the recent apps list to open it again. It gave me a message along the lines of "Cannot find shortcut or application," so naturally, I power off the phone and attempt to turn it on again.

Of course, now I'm having even worse issues. Namely, the Motorola icon appears, and it gets stuck. A master reset won't work, because its stuck at the icon before it even gives me the selection for a master reset. I have no idea whats going on so I have it turned off and charging even though SPBattMet showed about 50% battery (the charging screen appears to come up fine though), and I'm going to try again in a little while.

I guess it seems pretty obvious that either I'm somehow extremely unlucky, or the q is defective. (Although if anyone has any suggestions to fix my issues, I'd love to hear them.) I guess my biggest question is what is Sprint's policy regarding replacing under-warranty phones that aren't bought from them? Would I maybe have to take the warranty up with Motorola instead?

I would love to get a replacement that works perfectly because when my q9c has been working it's been great, but I must be pretty damn unlucky when it comes to WM.
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

I just got it to do a Master Reset after being plugged in for a while, and now am attempting to restore from my Sprite Backup file. However, for one, it seems like its taking longer to do anything than it usually does.

More importantly, this doesn't make me feel better about my concerns that the phone is defective. Am I overreacting about a few bad days, or do people think this is something to be concerned about. I guess if Sprint won't repair or replace it, I don't have much choice anyway, but still.

Finally, much less important of an issue, but the restore seems to have messed with the icons for the folders in the start menu, is there any way to fix that?
  3. miro

miro New Member

If the phone is truly new, then Motorola will honor the manufacturer warranty. It certainly sounds like your phone could be defective.
    If you haven't found it by now, you can do a master reset by holding down the center button while starting the phone.
    I would personally recommend running the phone for a day or two with no third party apps. It's maddening, but if you install multiple applications on top of one another, you won' be able to pinpoint software issues very easily. If the unit runs well "naked" then install and test one app at a time. If it still has issues with just the base ROM installed then likely the phone is defective.
  4. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I would also do the 2 part Master Reset. The center key when booting up then the software Master Reset button in System Tools. This is how the tech's do it at Alltel. Yours is a problem I read about on here over & over again when just doing the Master Reset with the center key & not following up with the Master Reset key in System Tools.
    Give that a try & see if that helps. And I do hope it helps.
  5. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

and the option to master reset should pop up eve before it gets to the motorla screen it should pop up right after the sprint/verizon screen
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

No it doesn't. The Motorola screen comes up first, and then the Sprint logo, and then the Windows Mobile logo... Or maybe its Motorola, WM, Sprint, but I know that the Motorola one is first.
  7. jae.keyz

jae.keyz New Member

dont think those were as brand new as u think. why didnt u just buy it retail price from sprint. bad esn lets u know something is fishy is up. i would have got my money back. if the phone was substantially cheaper then retail price then obviously you get what you paid for.

if it is infact new then have moto replace it.
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

No Sprint stores in the area. Well, not entirely true, but none that carry any of the smartphones. I could have done it over the phone, but every time I deal with Sprint they mess something up and I didn't want them extending my contract. Both still had the original plastic protection covering the screen, keys, etc, and both still had all included accessories still in the plastic. It wasn't that big of a different in price but it was more for convenience sake because I didn't want Sprint to mess up the contract again. Not to mention if I go into the RTN options screen the life timer and all of that information says that it was first activated two days ago, and it only says two calls which would be the two that I've made since having it.
  9. lexicon

lexicon New Member

it also makes a difference if you've installed apps that automatically boot up on the cad or on the device. I've had my phone crash because the app on the card wasn't being booted up in time or in the correct order which caused the phone to freeze. since I've moved apps around its worked fine.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 New Member

I'm pretty sure that all I have is booting on startup since I got rid of SmartToolkit, Facade, and Fizz is ClockonTop and SMSbubbles. Neither is running from the card, both are internal.
  11. jae.keyz

jae.keyz New Member

sms bubble was buggy so uninstalled it, caused lockups but not on startup.
    never used clockontop.
    make sure u run smarttoolkit *RC08*.
    read orange could sometimes cause problems but didnt for me.
    when the softkeys dont work, by anychance does ur signal bars turn into a circle with a cross thru it?

if i were u i would master reset twice, do the cpu scale hack, reboot, install software.. everytime u finish an installation reboot.

i never had much trouble with my q9c. i doubt sprint would replace it since u didnt buy it from them, unless u have insurance and wanna pay the deductible.
  12. snj1013

snj1013 New Member

My Q9C got stuck at the Motorola M yesterday as well. The "master reset" of holding the center key while powering on the phone didn't do anything. I took it to the Sprint Repair store today and I was out of there in 5 or 10 minutes. The customer service agent said they did a master reset. She told to hold the "off" power key while removing the battery. I have tried to see if this actually does a master reset as I have already resync'd my phone.
  13. hot2line

hot2line New Member

this just happened with my new q9c 30 minutes ago
    only had the phone for one week

on a chat with sprint right now
    everything they asked me to do still ends up with the same screen that you're talking about
  14. cmuchill

cmuchill New Member

same boat

I had mine 2 days and it did this. No 3rd party apps or anything just getting used to normal use. it is not back at sprint and I am waiting for my new one. i am lost with out anything! hope to have my new one monday.
  15. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

search for how to fix motorola flash mode of death
  16. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

I must interject here by saying unless you have AN ENDLESS AMOUNT OF PATIENCE never ever send your phone to Motorola for warranty repair. My wife's original Motorola Q broke last year (frozen at the flash rom boot screen before I figured out how to fix it myself). They told her to send it in and it would be 10-14 BUSINESS days before she'd get it back.

I don't know who in this day & age can go more than one day without their cell phone, let alone 14 business days! They offered no temporary replacement for her. They expected her to be without a cell phone for 14 days! In the end, it was actually 2 & 1/2 MONTHS before she got a phone back. They lost her phone we sent in - had to fight to get them to admit they'd lost it in the repair process - had to fight to get them to send a replacement - they claimed to have sent a replacement 3 separate times spanning across 2-3 weeks (each time giving us a tracking number - but the package never left their facility).

Stick with insurance on your phone from your wireless carrier. Motorola's customer service is unreliable and really horrible - rude personnel on the phone who you can't understand (English is definitely not their first, or second language).
  17. bmet

bmet New Member

Frozen screen

I purchase a new Q9C over a week ago . The pinwheel would never stop and forced to turn phone off. When the phone was powered back on kept getting the "M" logo and would not get past. After a hard reset the phone starts to work again. This process occurred at least 4 different times in about 5 days.
    I only loaded the applications that came with the phone , never synced it to my computer and the Task manager was not full.

I returned my phone for a new one and the exact same thing is happening. After researching this on the internet and "google searching this problem "I believe there is a bad batch of phones that were distributed between March and April of 2008.

It's frustrating because Sprint will tell you that they haven't received any reports about this but reading other bulletins I know this is not true . They will try to blame it on running too many applications at once. I know this is not the case because my Task manager was empty when this has occurred.
    I'm giving them one more chance ,I'm exchanging my new phone for a remanufactured one because I think the problem is recent. I still have a couple weeks of my 30 days to cancel if I have any more problems.

[qudote=jhoff80;163649]Sorry that this is long, most relevant recent part is at the bottom:

I've switched over from a Palm Treo, and while I really want to like it (and do when its working), I'm not really having the best of luck with the q9c. I bought a q9c brand new on ebay because it was cheaper to do it that way without extending my contract, and it arrived two weeks later without a clean ESN as promised. I send it back to the seller and a week later (yesterday) got a replacement, also new.

First issue with the replacement was that the battery door needed a lot more force to be put on than the original, so I probably should have taken that as a sign. I went along, installing all of my software that I had wanted, and as I'm installing the last program (Smart Toolkit) I start having issues where pressing either soft button freezes things. Figuring the problem is Smart Toolkit, I master reset and go through everything without installing Smart Toolkit. Again, I get the same issue.

After this point I decide either its my custom homescreen, or its WM not liking my 2 IMAP mailboxes, with about 250 messages total, so I use the Sprint homescreen and set Outlook mobile to only download 3 days worth of emails.
    Everything appeared to be stable now, with all of my programs (except Fizz, Facade, and Orange, and Smart Toolkit) installed. At one point the phone was loading a program, and got stuck with the spinning icon, and I got impatient, so I pulled the battery.

Of course, this managed to corrupt the registry, losing all of my settings. At this point it was midnight last night, so I just master reset and leave the rest for today.

Today, I repeat the same steps, but install Sprite Backup as well, figuring that way if my registry gets corrupted, I'll have a backup that includes all of my settings. Everything worked fine all day long, and then about half an hour ago, I quit out of a program accidentally and went to the recent apps list to open it again. It gave me a message along the lines of "Cannot find shortcut or application," so naturally, I power off the phone and attempt to turn it on again.

Of course, now I'm having even worse issues. Namely, the Motorola icon appears, and it gets stuck. A master reset won't work, because its stuck at the icon before it even gives me the selection for a master reset. I have no idea whats going on so I have it turned off and charging even though SPBattMet showed about 50% battery (the charging screen appears to come up fine though), and I'm going to try again in a little while.

I guess it seems pretty obvious that either I'm somehow extremely unlucky, or the q is defective. (Although if anyone has any suggestions to fix my issues, I'd love to hear them.) I guess my biggest question is what is Sprint's policy regarding replacing under-warranty phones that aren't bought from them? Would I maybe have to take the warranty up with Motorola instead?

I would love to get a replacement that works perfectly because when my q9c has been working it's been great, but I must be pretty damn unlucky when it comes to WM.[/quote]
  18. Irondad

Irondad New Member

My problem exactly... what makes you believe there was a bad batch for those months?
  19. cashen

cashen New Member

Same here. I tried all the soft/hard boot options and nothing could get it off that darn screen!!

I tried started nav and it locked up. i took out the battery to reset it and BAM! the M screen of death.

Called sprint, the guy asked me to restart it and then said go get a new one. the store replaced it. i've only had the phone for 5 days!! the rep on the phone suggested to buy insurance because he said if this happened after the first 30 days, i would have to pay.... eff that! no effing way.
  20. bmet

bmet New Member

[

The reason I think this problem happened during those months is that most of the people complaining of this happening on this site and other message boards have post dates from March through April. 2008. Prior to those dates it doesn't seem to be a big problem. I could be wrong but it is strange.

quote=Irondad;169416]My problem exactly... what makes you believe there was a bad batch for those months?[/quote]