Monaco Aluminum Case early review

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by SpeedQuest, Jul 11, 2006.

1. SpeedQuest

SpeedQuest New Member

Monaco Aluminum Case early review

I bought a Monaco Aluminum Case and here is my first couple days impression of it.

Motorola Q Monaco Aluminum Case - Silver

Graded on a scale of 1-10:

Protection: 9 It's very tough. If your hard on your equipment, this case doesn't seem to have any major flaws (as of yet) in the protection department.

Functionality: 6 Unfortunately, certain buttons and features are hard to get to. For instance, the 'UP' button on the center directional is virtually impossible unless you have small fingers. I am not a big person and I can hardly get the 'UP' key to work. Of course, you can use the thumbwheel up for some things, but still it's hard to train and retrain. Additionally, either the left or right 'soft key' can be a challenge. Not quite as tough as the 'UP' key but still not a breeze.

The earpiece hole was also a little annoying. With the new case installed, I really had to turn up my earpiece volume to hear conversations on the phone. This also seemed to result in a slight echo as the sounds sort of reverbrated through the case during conversations.

Of course, the BIG hangup for most of you will be that this case only works with the STANDARD battery and NOT the Extended battery. So for the workhorses that need the extended battery, this case is not for you.

Appearance: 9 The Monaco case looks really nice. It's finish is very much like the hard aluminum case I use for my Tungsten E. With a high-quality aluminum, very smooth contour in most areas, and a great gloss metallic finish, I am pretty impressed. The only downfall, in my opinion, is the included belt clip assembly. You simply thread the supplied retainer tab on to the back of the Monaco case and then the case slides into a typical cell-phone belt clip. The problem is, once stored like this, the case tends to sway to and fro as you move. It looks totally ridiculous, not to mention I get really nervous feeling my EXPENSIVE electronics 'swinging in the breeze'. I could also see the belt clip (over time) behaving like previously owned clips and failing to hold the case. Of course, when and if that occurs, you can rest securely knowing that your Q is protected by a damn sturdy case when it hits the ground.

Overall: 8 I am hard on equipment. No doubt about it, so I really like this case. I have (2) extended batteries since they were cheap, THANKS CHRIS!, but I will only use them on my longer trips so I can utilize my Monaco case. A few design issues with the case could be pretty big hangups for some, but I think for most, they are acceptable. Maybe we will get lucky and the folks at Monaco could change things slightly and revamp the case in the future.

Well that's my .02 on this one. Till next time!

SpeedQ
  2. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

When I used a Treo 650, I purchases an aluminum case for it and ended up with pretty much the same opinions you came up with. The Q aluminum case wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the poor access to the d-pad and soft keys.
  3. SpeedQuest

SpeedQuest New Member

I just got word that an Aluminum Extended Case is in the works. No specifics on availability dates as of yet though.

This could be the perfect case for those that need some real battery power.

SpeedQ
  4. dragonauta

dragonauta New Member

good thing I read this, I was about to order one..

so is there a metal case that doesn't have the buttons problems?
  5. hawkeye680

hawkeye680 New Member