Mobipush

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by jskinvest, Oct 3, 2008.

1. dowop

dowop New Member

Yes, it does, by design of the IMAP4 protocol. Let me try to simplify this because there is alot to know about the Lemonade Push Extrensions. It uses IMAP-IDLE technology which works in simple terms as follows:

Flexmail opens a connection to an IMAP4 server and keeps the connection open, with an occasional heartbeat. When email is delivered to the mailserver it is pushed within seconds to your device.

Both Z-Push and MS Exchange work basically the same (for the purpose of this discussion) from the client perspective with a heartbeat, but work differently from the back-end perspective. These two designs need to rely on their communication path being a webserver through ActiveSync.

I forgot to mention, with WM6, Pocket Outlook supports IMAP-IDLE as well so for those device users, you don't need Flexmail.

I know battery life is a frequently discussed topic in terms of 'Push' technology and here are my findings with an original Q WM5 device.

I have found that my original black Q has the same battery life with any of the following.

(1) Tests with Mail2Web 2003 Exchange Server
    (2) Tests with Z-Push
    (3) Tests with Flexmail.
  2. dowop

dowop New Member

Disagree - has nothing to do with being efficient. Seven polls it's mailserver so your not comparing apples to apples. But hey, keep your seven solution with all your passwords on their machines, and when the free beta is over fork out the money.

Ubuntu can be set up in 30 minutes and then 10 minutes for Z-Push. You can't get windows out of the box in that amount of time. I would argue that many people of this site can do it... they are certainly hacking their Q's.

I've helped plenty of personal smartphone users set this up on old machines and because it is linux it doesn't need to be rebooted every week.

I simply gave the poster some options, because they don't work for you doesn't make them not viable.

**Edit** I am in no way slammin' the folks at Seven, they put together a nice solution that also includes contacts syncs. IMHO, the Flexmail V4 application is stable and has a rich UI and shouldn't be discounted when looking for a solution.
  3. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

hmmm.. Really you say.
    ok.. GO! :)

I'm gonna give it a go with a old pc I have.

I'm not too worried about seven. They're "affiliated" with a few carriers.
    And the beta I think we're guinea pigs for the new software so it can be sold to said carriers.

My Rumor had v6 loaded in firmware.
  4. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Using Seven causes serious battery drain. It's a constant open data connection. As much as I liked getting my email instantly, they werent important enough to warrant the battery drain. So I switched back to Gmail IMAP, polling every hour.
    Maybe I'll check out Flexmail, but I guess the battery drain will be the same.
  5. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

WOW I was tired. What a power nap!
    So before I get too far into this. Ubuntu server and Z-Push are download and my computer is sitting on the floor ready to be assembled.
    I hope it can handle it. Linux distro aren't as resource friendly as they used to be ):

Will Z-Push separate my two accounts or it it show up in one folder as MobiPush?

Oh yeah, I see no power drain between Seven and polling my two accounts every thirty.
  6. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Let me tell you this is a royal pain in the ass.
    Ubuntu server installs fine. Z-push must have the worst "support" ever.
    The download site downloads the gz file to ubuntu with an html header so it won't unzip.
    downloading to my windows computer puttin on my ftp and downloading from there gets it unzipped but the PDF installation file at Z-push is also "corrupt" when trying to read.
  7. dowop

dowop New Member

No because ActiveSync can only have one server. This is by design, and no different then had you used Exchange.

It's difficult to help because I have no idea what your email requirements are. We've gotten off the subject where the original poster wanted push email for gmail.
  8. dowop

dowop New Member

Version 1.2 is stable and I just pulled it down and exploded it. Are you sure you are pulling from the correct location?

https://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=8963

Also, I've found there support very good. Here is their Forum

http://z-push.sourceforge.net/phpbb/

Before you get all tangled up with this... make sure this solution will work for your situation and you have port 80 and/or 443 available to your apache web server. If your broadband service is blocking these you're SOL.
  9. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Yeah we have :)
    And unless you drive to my house and set it up I'm giving up on it, actually I gave up a couple hours ago. I gave up on Linux about 3 hours ago :)
    I got it closer to working on WinXp than I did in Linux.

I did get 1.2.
    I couldn't figure how to set it up the php files at all even after searching the forums.

Makes no difference since both accounts will be pooled in one.
    That's no good for me.
  10. dowop

dowop New Member

Sorry to hear you had problems. So did you have problems with PHP or the config.php file? That is the only file that needs to be touched and is completely self-documented in the code. Also, the 9 page Z-Push Configuration Manual is complete in my opinion and even talks about using SSL.
  11. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Whatv was justbas frustrating, more so even, than php files which I always hate was getting the files.
    as mentioned the pdf file would not open. All readers said it was corrupt.
    Downloading the tar file to Ubuntu was a chore in itself.
  12. Miata492

Miata492 New Member

After seeing this thread, I tried mobipush and it worked fine for 1 email, then stopped. Could not get it to work again, so I deleted my account and went away!