Mobipush

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by jskinvest, Oct 3, 2008.

1. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

Mobipush

Hi,

I just started using Mobipush to push my gmail to my q9m. I am using IMAP gmail. I am dissapointed because the emails are running about 15 minutes late. Has anybody used this before? Can anyone offer advice? Thanks.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

use PushEffect....
  3. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

Actually I have been using pusheffect for a while and I am happy with it. However I am looking for a true push email application without the need for hidden text messages.
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

downgrading aye? =)
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

fair enough.... have you tried Seven ? (have not myself but saw it being mentioned a few times here on EQ)
  6. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

Yeh I guess it is a major downgrade if mobipush has a 15 minute lag. The only problem I have with pusheffect is that the sender of the email will sometimes get a reciept that the email was recieved by my mobile number. Therefore I am actually giving out my mobile number to people that email me.
  7. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

The issue I have with Seven is that my home computer must be on at all times and outlook must be running. Is that true?
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

depends on which seven client you get. the basic one doesn't need a desktop client
  9. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

Really!! How does it work for you? Is it real time push or delayed? Thanks.
  10. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

ok only used it briefly, but it was fairly close to real time. I use M$ exchange now
  11. henrylcr

henrylcr New Member

I've tried all three of the options mentioned -- mobipush, pusheffect, and seven. None of them need your computer to be involved at all.

Mobipush is actually my favorite. It's true that sometimes emails wouldn't show up for 20 minutes, but that didn't seem to be too frequent for me. And it's true that you have to trust Mobipush's servers with your username and password, but that's true of Seven as well. The only reason I stopped using it is it simply stopped pushing email to my phone at all. That happened about 2 months ago and I can't figure out why and it really irks me because the service worked so much more smoothly than PushEffect or Seven.

PushEffect is lovely except for the text message aspect. I actually got charged for 200 additional text messages in the 3 weeks I used PushEffect. I only stopped using it a week ago and I haven't called Sprint to complain yet, but I suspect they don't count texts sent to emails as part of the 1000 text messages I have in my plan. Additionally, the few texts that I get from email addresses that are actually sent to my phone -- for instance from Facebook's subway community that is supposed to allow people to alert me when the trains I use in NYC are having issues, or from my bank with my balance -- can't get through at all. Then there's the annoying fact that PushEffect only seemed to actually bother to check on every third or fourth email I'd get, so instead of getting one little vibration and quiet tone every once in a while during the day, my phone'd suddenly break out in a spasm of vibrations and beeping every few hours. PushEffect's only real plus that I can see is that you don't have to trust their servers with your password. It's actually just a program on your phone.

Seven is lovely and only has two minor drawbacks that I can see. Firstly, it's a process that needs to be running all the time on my Q, which must drain some battery -- and I have to remember not to kill it when I go and kill everything else in Task Manager. Secondly, until I changed my homescreen away from the ones Seven created on my phone, every time I clicked anything at all on the homescreen, I'd be brought to Seven's options screen and when I'd back out of that I'd be back at the homescreen, where I'd click on something and wait about 3 seconds for it to load. Once I switched away from Seven's homescreens, I'm down to just waiting 3 seconds for any messaging window to load, but at least it goes straight there on the first click and doesn't affect other plugins on the homescreen.

So, all that said, I really really really really wish Mobipush would work on my phone again.
  12. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

Does it work with the Q9M? I did not see it on the list of compatibe phones on the Seven web site.
  13. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Seven has been having problems with the servers this week. ):

I installed the Pro version on my 9c and it works good.

The phone gets emails before Thunderbird quite often.
  14. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

Are you on Verizon or does it not matter? Do you have to have your desktop running?
  15. henrylcr

henrylcr New Member

It doesn't matter what carrier you have and you don't have to have your desktop running.
  16. dowop

dowop New Member

Here are a couple of other options to consider. I've looked at (and evaluated) about every option (Sendmail, Kerio, Z-Push, Zimbra, OpenXchange, etc, etc, etc) under the sun since I run my own mailserver. As a business owner of an IT Consulting Company, I refuse to use Exchange (for many reasons) and I always move my clients to either a Sendmail solution or Kerio, Zimbra or OpenXchange depending on their needs. For my employees, we only need email pushed so I use Sendmail, Dovecot IMAP, and Z-Push. Z-Push in it's current state does not sync contacts. SyncML solutions are out there for that as well.

(1) Get Flexmail and configure it to connect to GMAIL using IMAP4(IMAP IDLE) and you'll get instant email. The new Flexmail V4 is a very nice product and I think fairly priced. This will also allow you to get all your email from all providers in one nicely organized application.

(2) Configure a linux machine w/ Z-Push (this is VERY EASY) and use the IMAP connector w/ Z-Push to connect to GMAIL. If you are DHCP for your broadband, then you'll need to use something like DynDNS to keep that connection (Port 80 and/or 443) open to the internet. You would use Pocket Outlook to retrieve your mail under this configuration.

Let me know if you have any questions about these options.

Good Luck!
  17. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

Are there any battery draining issues with Seven?
  18. henrylcr

henrylcr New Member

does that answer any of your questions?
  19. jskinvest

jskinvest New Member

Thanks. Does flexmail provide instant push or is there a delay?
  20. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

haha.. Linux server or Seven(?).
    While that's viable foer a business not terrible efficient for home when there's ready to go solutuions in man forms.

Seven needs no server and as mentioned is fast most of the time.

I would imagine that battery drain is dependent on how much amil you get. If your worried about battery life then pulling, if you get a lot of mail, at set "spaced" intervals might be better.