Mini SD Memory Cards...

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by MarcoV, Aug 26, 2006.

1. MarcoV

MarcoV New Member

Mini SD Memory Cards...

Looking to get a Mini SD card for my Q. I know that the 2GB size is the most popular...probably more than I need.

I'm wondering which is best. A mini SD 2GB card with 60X or one with 150X ? Does that refer to transfer speed? Would I notice any difference between 60 and 150?

I found this site with a good price 2GB Mini SD

Any help with deciding would be appreciated. Just looking to store some files and pics.
  2. Sprk Jonz

Sprk Jonz New Member

Be careful.. Your link took us to an SD card, not a mini SD. Also, in case you didn't notice, the 'Q' is part of the card name and has nothing to do with out Motorola devices.

I haven't heard anyone weigh in on performance differences between the difference transfer speeds on miniSD cards... but I'm going to try to buy the fastest I can just in case it makes a difference with video or music playback. This technology is outdated as soon as it ships to your house. Therefore, I spend the little bit more for the 'best' available. Prices for the 2GB vary from $35 to $90.

Good luck with your shopping and I'll let you know what I find (leaning towards the ATP ProMax 2GB MiniSD with transfer speed of 150x... supposedly)
  3. MarcoV

MarcoV New Member

Thanks for the response....to the question at hand.
  4. quebert

quebert New Member

Unless you're going to buy an external card reader the speed shouldn't matter much. Xfering files from my PC to my Q is butt-sloooooow. I converted 40 year old virgin from DVD to DiVX, and while I didn't time either. It was faster to rip & encode it then actually copying. Q is painfully slow for data transfers threw USB. 1 gig takes a good 30 minutes, if not longer. As far as installing apps on the card, dunno if it'll be any faster, as the Q seems slow opening stuff that's on the internal memory.
  5. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

Why not use WM5torage to make your Q's sd-card visible as a drive letter when the Q is connected via USB, and set it as the destination for the converted file...... :thumbup:

While it won't speed up the USB transfer speed, it will save you an extra step..
  6. quebert

quebert New Member

well damn, I've never heard of this program, it sounds fantastic. I'm tempted to get an external reader though. I'm not impacient, but this thing is so slow it makes me wanna cry. I will be checking out that program right now, thanks :)
  7. EBone

EBone New Member

If your computer has USB 2.0 ports, you can speed up transfer of files using a USB 2.0 compliant card reader and the fastest speed Mini SD card, i.e. the 150x card would be more than twice as fast than the 60x card.