Microsoft sold 1.5 million WP7 phones, is that enough?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by chris, Dec 21, 2010.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

2. chris

What concerns me is that the number includes carrier shipments. How many actual customers bought WP7 phones?
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well, how much of that was sent to Amazon, because they sold out (Focus) a couple times already?
  4. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Its enough. I think MS knows this is a long haul for them. Its not like they are going to back down. And the platform has tons of potential.
  5. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

I think it's a reasonable amount for the time on the market. If the Nokia rumours are true, this will pick up dramatically. By the way, I love my Focus.
  6. chris

I think what's missing is the flagship phone. Some might not agree with me, but right now it's probably the Focus that's the most popular. I have one (or should I say had one, in the shop for repair), but it's not *flagship* status. I'm talking like Droid level, where it just takes over the landscape of a platform. Sure there are other Android devices, but that became the poster child for Android. Windows Phone needs that killer device. Right now, it seems like the marketing is more about the OS. That's good and all, but hardware driven ads would help. I've seen some of the AT&T stuff, but that's not on par with the Droid campaigns or iPhone or even Palm Pre.
  7. mem30075

mem30075 New Member

agreed, although most of us probably feel that the focus is an excellent first WP7 phone. Just wait until the 4G models with dual core arrive with updated WP7 OS, then you will see a "flagship" emerge....;) If I'm apple, I would have a new IOS UI being developed too.
  8. chris

Had this discussion over at iCafe about a week ago. I think Apple has been working on a next generation iOS for years. The trouble is they need to layer features on top of iOS. With such a huge install base, I'd imagine it's not so easy to cut the rope. Make no mistake, they will at some point. What we see today is definitely not the cutting edge stuff going on in their labs.

I really hope we see that flagship phone at CES. Maybe Verizon will take a break from all the Droid love to ship a kick-ass Windows Phone.
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

What constitute a flagship phone? Since the OS is pretty much vanilla and is all the same, will we turn to hardware to differentiate? It'd be interesting to see a flagship since MS dictates a pretty high minimum hardware requirement. Yes, 1GHZ processor is the norm nowadays, but it's on the higher end of the norm - read: higher costs. So let's say WP7 gets a major upgrade (not update) a year from now, will that 1GHZ minimum requirement hold or are they going to enforce a 2GHZ requirement, or whatever is the norm then. So does a flagship phone mean faster processor, a higher MP camera, or more internal storage than required by MS? If so, are we expected to pay more for such a device? Are we willing to pay more than the $199 sweet spot with a 2 or more years contract? Are we willing to pay more than $600 for an off contract device? I think most of us will say no, and I think the manufacturers know that. Cost will always be a factor and the manufacturers are more than likely going to try to get by with all things minimum to cut down on costs.
  10. chris

Part of it is marketing. The current crop of Windows Phones are going up against what are household names due to advertising. EVO, Droid (family), iPhone 4.

It ties back to the carrier. AT&T has promoted these phones, but the campaigns are no where near as effective as the phones mentioned above.

I think the current phones are all capable, but there isn't one that stands out. The fact that Microsoft instituted these spec guidelines is great for consumers, but the manufacturers/carriers need to find a way to differentiate them.
  11. chris

If you quizzed a typical consumer, I bet they would have a hard time naming one of the Windows Phones. I bet that same customer knows the Droid, knows the EVO and of course the iPhone.
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I totally agree. But I think MS isn't going to favor one manufacturer over another. It's pretty much up to the individual manufacturers to work with the carriers and spend that advertising money, which worked well with Motorola. Part of that drive and success was due to the fact that Motorola had nowhere to go but up. With their backs to the wall, they had to spend that money, and with VZW's help, they were very successful. I also think that Android fragmentation played a big role. The Moto Droid had the most up to date Android OS, which definitely differentiated it at the time of release.
  13. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

Hmm, ya can't help but wonder if MS was being totally honest with their statement about sales being where they expected them to be. Is that a cop-out to make it seem like they're content instead of concerned?

Hey, in any event, didn't one of the articles mention that the WP7 marketplace reached 4000 apps in like a quarter of the time it took Android? That's a good sign no? Pretty cool nonetheless (especially because it gives me an extra bullet in the gun to fire at my buddies who love Android and know how much I equally love ragging on Android :-P )
  14. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

" Is that a cop-out to make it seem like they're content instead of concerned?"
    Actually, no. From the beginning they stated that they are well aware that they have a huge hill to climb..that they are in it for the long haul and they are viewing it as a marathon, not a sprint.

As for what is considered a a flagship phone..well..it's a phone that has the type of hardware specs that would make us absolutely drool and other phone owners die with envy. To elaborate on what I said in another post - if the Focus had a 4.3 inch S-AMOLED screen, at least 16gb of drive space..even 32gb, and a more solid body/chassis, that's a flagship phone right there. I would have gladly paid 100 bucks more for that in a 32gb model...GLADLY.
    As for the costs, upcoming phones should remain on par with the competition. Even as smartphones increased in capability, the cost for them remained in the 200-300 dollar range with commitment to a mobile provider.

I am saving my pennies now for what I believe will be a release of some pretty sweet WP7 models around Sept 2011. Hopefully AT&T will let me upgrade with a year still left on contract. I want a 4.3 inch screen S-AMOLED (or updated technology in that vein) dammit!!!
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

One thing's for sure, with WP7's addition to market, next year should prove to be a very good year for consumers.
  16. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Flagship phone? What would be different?

I'd like to see a super solid build even if it adds a little weight. and cut no corners. Use good camera sensors, use great screens, don't be cheap. Solid build, solid parts, slick design.

Then advertise the crapola out of it.

edit: and I'll add that IF the nokia rumors are true... we may just have our Flagship.
  17. meridian

meridian Member

The phones released in the US were pretty lackluster. The nicest looking WP7 phones went to Europe. I don't understand why.
  18. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

I should explain that the only reason that thought would cross my mind is simply because they're being so hush about their actual (customer) sales. Even my beloved Apple, who is secretive about everything behind their doors, doesn't hide or gently mask their sales of anything. Would the start of the next fiscal year have anything to do with it? I do know that, and as you pointed out, MS knows where they stand as bringing out something new in a platform war that has long standing opponents. Gotta respect their realism there, as opposed to telling the world "here's the iPhone killer! Ditch your Droid, the market is ours overnight!"

I throw my hat into the same lot fellas: 2011 is going to be one hell of a year for the consumer :)
  19. Pancake mix

Pancake mix New Member

Well in my store, we move out a decent number of Windows phones. I would say in my store, equal to the number of Android phones. It should do much better once it hits Verizon.
    chris likes this.
  20. ajayden

ajayden Member

I would say Microsoft need a flagship phone which they could market just like Apple and Google do. Apple has iPhone and Google has Nexus (1 & S).
    MS needs to partner with one manufacturer just for advertisement sake and deliver a phone with high end specs.