Microsoft Paying Devs To Port over Apps to W7

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by termleech, Jun 20, 2010.

1. termleech

termleech Member

Microsoft Paying Devs To Port over Apps to W7

Microsoft isn't stupid, they know the App ecosystem is what makes these mobile phones great. One of the killer things the iPhone, Android, etc has is the app store. It appears Microsoft is taking this to heart and has a couple things they are doing. It appears they have posted a job req on their site for a person who will be responsible for working directly with dev's to bring their apps to the store, answer any questions, help in any way possible, etc. Secondly, it appears they are paying developers to port their apps over to the W7 device.

Some developers have already said it's not worth the investment right now, but will these incentives change the minds of other devs?
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Palm has been trying this with their Hot Apps promotion, offering $1 million and now another million. I think a good SDK is key and a big user base. I think devs that bet on Windows Phone 7 are wise to jump in. I think it's going to be a huge platform. Like Android, there will be all sorts of great hardware.

I'd bet that a lot of devs are waiting for an install base. Are there any advantages to being first with an app?

A great Facebook and Twitter app will go a long way for people who pick up a phone running WP7. I think I might check in on my Zune apps to see how they are progressing on those apps, since those will likely be making their way to Windows Phone 7.
  3. termleech

termleech Member

There will definitely be a reason to be the first apps in the app store. Devs are really really excited about W7 phone. I'm a Windows developer so moving over to W7 development is almost trivial which is why devs are so excited. I hate Obj-C. Give me Visual Studio and their tools any day. Plus W7 can consume WCF services from Azure almost trivially, which gives you the ability to make your app's cloud aware with ease. This is going to usher in a whole new era for phone connectivity. I'm sure there will be some rough patches but having played with a W7 dev phone myself, I can say the experience is really nice (and the phone part of the phone actually works :)).
  4. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Most of what you said, right over my head. If developing is a "real nice experience", that bodes well for devs jumping in.

For the most part, it seems like Microsoft is making the correct decisions when it comes to WP7 and following some of the lead set forth by Google, Apple, etc.

What drives me nuts about Android is the lack of UI consistency within the apps. I think that's going to change eventually with Palm's Matias Duarte on board.

When I look at videos of the Windows Phone 7 UI, I cannot wait to get this phone.

I really wish they would bring Zune software to Mac and support Mac users. I don't see it happening, but man would it be great. The number of hoops I have to jump through so that I can use a Zune HD is ridiculous. I've got a partition for Windows and a DOS partition for media that is shared by the Mac and the PC side. If I add music on either side, it's added automatically for both platforms.
  5. termleech

termleech Member

Haha, sorry about that. As you can see as a dev I'm excited.

The W7 UI will be very consistent. The Metro theme that is used is enforced in all applications developed for the W7 phone. App developers will be able to change some colors and stuff but they will have to maintain consistency with the main look of the rest of the phone. Plus the interaction that is allowed with the phone itself is really nice.

I wouldn't be surprised if they moved the Zune software over to the Mac. The Zune software is written entirely in Silverlight and there is a Silverlight runtime for the mac. It's probably more of them getting the drivers working and their DRM working (which the DRM might work already anyway since it's baked into Silverlight).

I love my Zune HD. I've stopped using my iPhone for music, podcasts and video and exclusively use the Zune HD now. Especially since I've got a ZunePass. That is the best money I've ever spent.
  6. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

They know the app ecosystem is what makes these phones great? Is that why there are 201 apps... not a typo... 201 apps.... for WinMo 6.5.
    Really?
    That's just embarrassing.
  7. misterSelf

misterSelf New Member

I sure hope you're right, because what you mentioned about UI inconsistency in the apps is an issue that has driven me crazy with the Droid (the phone I currently use). I have other issues with Android, but that's one of the big ones.