Meteor Mania WP7 game

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Apps and Games' started by jabberworx, Dec 10, 2010.

1. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Hi Guys,

My first ever commercial WP7 game was just put on the app store.

Here's a gameplay video:

And a link to the zune store: http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=8bcd9a61-3cfa-df11-9264-00237de2db9e

There's a trial mode, it supports your phones music library so you can play your own tracks and it should support call resuming and minimizing it through the Windows key.

Let me know whatyou think and feel free to suggest improvements to it. If you do buy the full game but aren't happy with it feel free to contact me at jabberworx [at] gmail [dot] com and I'll PayPal you a full refund on the purchase :)
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Good luck! Thanks for sharing with us here at eWM.
  3. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Just a posted a quick article on the site. Looks real good.
  4. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Hey thanks a bunch :)

I'm glad you like it, I put a lot of time into polishing the bajeezuz out of it so it's really nice when people don't hate it :D
  5. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

Looks cool!
  6. meridian

meridian Member

I bought it - it's fun!
  7. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Great to hear :)

Would you have any suggestions/ideas for the game? I'm hoping plenty of people buy it so I can keep updating it. The more sales I get the more features I can shove in for future updates (I'm dead broke so I need funding to pay artists for new sounds and assets).

I've been thinking of adding more cities to the game as a start.
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Is it possible to turn it into an XBL game? I really don't know how a game receives an XBL badge from MS, but I tend to buy games when they do. I like the idea of achievements, because the game rewards me back for playing and gives me something to brag about with my XBL friends.
  9. ajayden

ajayden Member

Thats really neat game. Have posted on my blog and also tweeted.
  10. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Unfortunately no, the only way to get XBL branded is to either go through a publisher who has established relations with Microsoft or go into a virtual lottery and hope Microsoft sees the game :-\

Hey thanks :)

I wanted to update here saying a new patch has been released which ups the trial demo time from 30 seconds to 2 minutes and adds a new feature where as your cities health is going down the reticules get redder so you don't have to look at the top left of the screen to see your cities health.
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Oh man. I didn't know that. I really wanted to support XBL games, hoping that all games become XBL. But now I realize I will only be hurting independent, smaller devs. By being honest, you've effectively changed my mind and I will definitely be more open and take a non-prejudice approach to purchasing apps. Thank you for your hard work and giving us a fun game.
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Really fun game! I love how you gave access to our song library. I would like to see an easier way to search through 500+ of my songs, rather than scroll through 5 items at a time. I would also like the song end or stop when I exit the app. Not a deal breaker, as access to my library makes the game that much more fun to play.
  13. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

In regards to the song library you're right in that it probably needs some work to make it more manageable for people with a larger library of music. I cannot just stop the song you choose to play from your music library after you exit the game as Microsoft does not allow that and will not allow it to pass testing. Basically I'm not allowed to modify how your device plays music or what kind of music it plays without prompting you first, so long as that has to happen you're going to be inconvenienced one way or the other, may as well be inconvenienced without an annoying dialogue box.

What you can do is start playing music from a play list then launch the game, in that case the game won't force its own music on top.

I'm glad you like the music library feature, though as you said it does need a bit of polish...
    ninjaap likes this.
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Hey that's cool that you've decided to drop the price to FREE only 2 days after I payed for it... LOL
    jabberworx likes this.
  15. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Wait free!? It's still a dollar.. well that's almost free :-\

In any case, sorry, my marketing sucks.
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Oops my mistake. Maybe it just appeared (or I thought it did) under free apps, because it has a free trial? I dunno. Anyway, it's a good game. One question though, does the level (background) change scene at all?
  17. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

I was planning on adding updates like different cities/landmarks to protect (possibly based on real life ones) after the game is released however the sales numbers simply aren't justifying the expenses it will incur :-\
  18. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Real life landmarks would be an awesome addition. I really hope you keep updating this app. Maybe give it some time before giving up on it? Maybe updating it will make the game more attractive to more users?
  19. ajayden

ajayden Member

I would say that you have made a head start as WP7 is getting popular by the day. If your game is polished and is ready for the traffic in the future, I am sure you will make good revenue out of it.
  20. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

I don't think the 'more users' really exist yet :p WP7 still has a limited market share, hopefully it will increase in the future...

Hopefully that will be the case, but I'm starting to suspect more and more the only way you can get *real* sales for your game is by having it xbox live affiliated, and it's very difficult to get xbox live affiliated (the email they give hasn't even responded to me or a bunch of other people who sent out emails).

I was thinking of re-releasing a 'Deluxe' edition or something later which will have different cities and ones based on real life as well as more meteor types/gameplay modes. Plan is to also push it as an update for existing players and sell it as a brand new game for everyone else, not sure if Microsoft will approve of that but we'll see when we see...